Nugget Shooter Forums

before pricing my chert. I looked for a long time on the net this am to get a general idea as to how much my chert is worth but can not come to a conclusion. I seen one post saying large specimen can sell for over 20 dollars a pound. I can't even find a piece on the internet as large as the one I have.Cmon rockhounds,give me some help please. Tell me what you would try and sell it for per pound. And I also need a good description for it as well. My piece is maybe 30-40 lbs.

Thank's!

Rim

post-26159-0-13650500-1355576203_thumb.j

post-26159-0-50111100-1355576853_thumb.j

Edited by Rimshot

Rim! Come-on man, like Bill said, that large piece of chert, fer the most part is worthless. It's common rock that is highly abundant. Now if you was to mine or excavate 100's of 2 ton blocks, and crush em into gravel, and then sell truck-loads of said gravel to say, landscape supply companies, that makes the chert worth something. The other route, rock hounding/mineral/ amateur minerology, in order to make it a rock specimen of value to a specimen collector/amateur rockhound, you will need to spend a little money on it, that is, have it cut into slices and sections and sanding & polishing one side in order to make the sample displayable, in addition to providing a said specimen, a small description card with info like size, weight, composition, location of recovery, etc...thus adding a little provenance. Put this all together and go rent a table at a local gem & mineral show and sit there fer 8 hrs. in hopes that a collector is needin a displayable chert specimen fer his display cabinet at home....hope this helps. (every year I rent a table at a local one-day rock swap event hosted by my amateur rockhounding club, and I'm lucky to just make up the $15. I spent on the table and put $15.-$20. in my pocket). It can be a tough racket. And the world goes round :D .....RH

Rim ... paint it gold and I'll give you a nickel for it! Seriously what the other guys have already said ... no need to repeat the same ole same ole ... best to get back to prospecting for gold ... you'll do better even if you get the skunk for awhile.

Mike F

Mike,

Well I been skunked here 100%. lol! But one day, i'll show up in ya'll's neck of the rocks... :4chsmu1:

Steve,

That's where I mostly snooped around try to find some info, and on eBay. And on some of the sites I seen em selling 10 lb. boxes for $25 each. I just figured a big chunk and spear heads came to mind. I think i'm gona paint my large chunks of basalt too...and place em around the property just for conversation pieces...haha!!!

Let me know when and we'll share a hunt or two. Just give me a couple days warning that you're headed my way. Mike F

Where do you go Mike?

Northern(Prescott, Mayor, Dewey-Humbolt) and Eastern (west of I-70, Bumble Bee, Cleator, Crown King, Black Canyon) Bradshaws, Congress AZ (Stanton/Rich Hill) and LSD(Little San Domingo) near Morristown, AZ for the most part. Central AZ is my playground because I live here. However I go to Quartzite (off I-10 in AZ just before the CA border and Gold Basin(just west of Kingman AZ) on occasion too.

There is a small market for chert believe it or not. Used mostly for flint knapping. Some areas simply don't have it or people are too lazy to go out and find it. I actually brought some years ago. Some types are more suitable then others though.

Steve

I read somewhere that only the black chert is considered flint. But anyhow here in east texas a chunk of chert this size imo would be considered rare. I may go ahead and list it just out of curiousity...lol!

Northern(Prescott, Mayor, Dewey-Humbolt) and Eastern (west of I-70, Bumble Bee, Cleator, Crown King, Black Canyon) Bradshaws, Congress AZ (Stanton/Rich Hill) and LSD(Little San Domingo) near Morristown, AZ for the most part. Central AZ is my playground because I live here. However I go to Quartzite (off I-10 in AZ just before the CA border and Gold Basin(just west of Kingman AZ) on occasion too.

So are any of these places in NV Mike?

Actually, the grain on that looks like it might be kind of rough for chert, it kind fo reminds me of fine grained quartzite (cemented quartz sand)