Nugget Shooter Forums

Recirculating sluice ??

Jim Gilmore

Not much and no fun. Caution is needed as with any/ all recirc systems as water get dirty specific gravity rises and micro gold goes good by. Clay, caliche and microfine silt plug holes in spraybars and a general pain in the arse. Requires MUCH water to do even small amounts of materials,much prefer a drywasher BUT as all things can be done I have used my ol' 3 barrel method. 1-your concentrator dumps into a 25 gallon barrel with discharge at the closest point to the top=1 1/2" pipe to barrel 2 then 2" lower pipe to barrel 3 and there is your pump inlet in a paint filter sac to keep as clean as possible. Requires you fill all barrels with water or go tiny amounts with 3-5" but no amount of materials can be run for very long. Lotza luck as jet dry will also help settle the micro silt too but NO SOAP NEVER EVER NO WAY-John :Diggin_a_hole: PS-ol'man forgot--Buy dollar store cotton to pack in last pipe to make a micro filter and comes out easily for clean cotton easily to protect pump /spraybar holes or use their el cheapo wound gauze and wash and reuse--luv that dollar store mining filter media :25r30wi:

Edited by Hoser John

I am interested in this type set up also. I ran into a guy from Colorado yesterday who is using a recirc hibanker setup and invited me to come check it out. I will as soon as possible and report on how his operation is going. I am in the Wickenburg/Morristown area for the winter. Been drywashing a bit,, a first for me and have recovered a litle color but nothing to brag about yet. It rained here last night so drywashing may be hold for a while. More later.

Stan

I envy you Stan, I'm stuck here in the WET and COLD. Maybe next winter I can go south. Spent the last 2 days puting a fuel pump in the Motorhome, Might get that done today. Had to cut a hole under the bed to get to it. NO WAY that tank was coming out.Tried for 6 hours, Nope it ain't coming out. Alittle rivitting panels and such and it will be good as new. Just get to tinker this winter. Built a highbanker and can't wait for spring to try it out. Hood Canal may get snow this A.M. Yup would love to be South!!!!!!!

It's been more like WA weather here for the last two days so don't be too envious. Sometimes a hole saw is the quickest most expedient solution to fuel pumps in the tank. Always a challenge on any vehicle configured that way.

I built a recirculator out of a sluice and a couple 1250 gph bilge pumps from Walmart powered by a car battery, it works good but keeping the water usable is a nightmare, not to mention bringing enough water along with you. After the first time I used it with a running stream I never went back to recirculating. A drywasher is by far the better tool for dry areas. It's a little better if you find a spot with puddles to refill your setup when the water gets merky....and stay away from dirt with leaves and grass in it, clean sand and gravel won't clog it up as quik.

007.jpg?width=640&height=480Howdy all, I use a Recyle Unit and the water does turn to muck but its good for the day although I have ran the Water for a few Days. Holding Tub needs to be setup Properly to Recycle the Water and it does take some work keeping things Flowing. I'm sure if your Deap enuff to Hit Calicie you will not be running Overburden heres a pic of how I setup Hope it helps. The Water Deflector at the end of the Sluice is Key to making it work

I used to use a recirculating highbanker at the potholes where water from the river was about a 1/4 mile away, and it's just inevitable to have to deal with pump clogs and the pvc holes plugging from small bits of plant matter and losing some water when you muck it out. But your right Spur you gotta be able to isolate the pump, then just dump the screen out every now and again.

I am thinking if one was to use a fish tank cotton like filler this will keep any plant matter out of the pump. they make flat and cylinder shaped fillers. the pump will fit in side cylinder filler and the flat stuff could be draped over where the water flows into pump area. the fillers I am thinking of will only keep plant like matter out and that is what clogs my spray bar up

heres the stuff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marineland-Rite-Size-Bonded-Aquarium-Filter-Pad-/181048129542?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D320504041453%26ps%3D54

Yea, that might work if it's not too thick, I like to wrap some womens pantyhose around the base of the pump inlet, it makes a great screen but don't let the ol lady catch you robbing her drawer! :evil1::idunno::yesss:

dont let her catch ya :5bat: . I got pantihose like stuff with my DF gold wheel but mud was clogging it up in a harry and it would pull the pantihose into the pump impeller . that could of been because the pump was sitting on the bottom it mite of helped if I raised it a few inches. the filters are thick but airy and could keep you out of trouble :25r30wi: . petsmart has them if you would like to see what they look like before you consider buying

I think next time I will try both around the pump and raise it off the floor of the water tray a bit to keep the pump out of the mucky muck :Diggin_a_hole:

Edited by jarrod

New to the forum. I'll introduce myself later but just a comment here. We use a waste paper basket from wallmart made of fine mesh aluminum. Sit it in the tub and put your pump/pumps in the basket. Works great!

Cheers all.

Jess

It works for the organic matter, Grass etc. Silt/sand is another matter. we line the catch tub with fabric so at cleanup time we pump out the water then lift the silt out of the tub and dump it. Usually run all day. Also use two tubs connected by two inch pvc pipe allows more time for silt to settle out.

Like to share.

Jess

I also put my pump in a small Pail is side the Tub, Then I Stuff Window Screen around the pump in the pail, The Trick is "Stages" the Muck needs a place to settle and the water Flows Over your Seperaters, I've Had 6'' of mud in the Bottom before doing a Total cleanup. I Have Tried the cotton Filter materal like that in a Pillow it Plugs up Fast and Slows down the Flow and its Hard to Clean. I also removed the Spray Bar and let the water Flow so Im not to woried about the Little things Just add an extra Cage or Basket in the Hoper and wash the rocks with your Hands

LOL Spur. There's your entry for the AGA give away :)

I have some stainless steel screen material in the 1/32" hole size. I also have some other materials I can line that with. I normally build a screener with that and then something more fine at the pump inlet. This is because if the larger stuff plugs the screen, and Tue screen doesn't tightly surround the pump, dirty water will overtop the screen (if possible in your setup) or simply starve the pump.

The bigger problem, as has been discussed is silty clay. And if you don't get silty clay in suspension, you're not breakin the clods up good enough.

There is a chemical called "Clay b gone" that I've seen used. It does appear to work OK. I've not used it myself, though.

I don't set the pump on the bottom, instead keeping it just submerged. And I have the pump inlet covered in a few layers of barely stretched ladies winter stockings. They're thicker and more durable than pantyhose. This makes it harder to suck into the pump, easy to use a soft brush for a quick clean off while running, and keeps the weave tighter to have an effectively smaller filter pore size.

i have seen that clay b gone but it is like 10 dollars for a little 6 oz bottle if you go to a pool supply store they have pool clarifier a quart for the same 10 dollars seems like a better deal

Is it a precipitant? Haven't looked into it. I guess it would bind to and drop salts from the water. But just not sure, as I never looked further into it.

I have seen clay b gone work before my eyes, though. :)

I live here in AZ. This is what we use and it runs all day recirculating which is what you were looking for. Although this is set up on the patio, this is how we run it in the field requiring 15 gal. water for all day including a clear water gallon for final panning. Although you can't see it there is a 2 1/2 gallon bucket at the end of the highbanker sluice. We have two 2 1/2 gallon buckets so we can dump them as they fill with material. There is a screen mounted in a picture frame to trap the plant material before it reaches the pump where the water leaves the smaller tub. This set-up belongs to my bud but I am working on my own design to further separate the plant material and silt a little better because after 2 hrs we have to clean the silt out of the smaller tub where the floating material settles. All in all this works great.

May there always be "Yeller" in your pan!

post-26375-0-80396600-1356754130_thumb.j

By the way, does anyone use the Gold Hog mini-highbanker? In a recirculating set-up?? A question for Bill, do you carry any highbankers in your store?

:arrowheadsmiley:

Edited by Sledge

I make my own re-circulators out of a combination of things. I like to employ aluminum walkers because they fold up very compactly, yet absolutely do not wobble if properly set up and can hold a lot of weight. I use various size plastic re-circulating sluices that I obtain from Angus MacKirk. The bilge pumps come from West Marine in various sizes. The battery is a gel-cell 32 Ampere Hour. In the photos you can see how easy it is to set up and the kind of recovery that is possible. My wife Jill and I use a 34" Angus MacKirk 10" wide sluice during the late summers alongside certain stretches of the Klamath and Salmon Rivers when the dry season peaks (late August, early September), using a vac to suck out the dry bedrock crevices and then running the material through the re-circulator. Water is not a problem, of course, since the river's edge is only a few feet away. Panning out the cons is easy too. I also am able to run a LeTrap using the same set-up. However the LeTrap requires two 1500 gph bilge pumps running simultaneously. This sucks down the battery pretty quick. If only running one 1500 gph bilge pump, the battery lasts all day. We re-charge it overnight.

In the desert I have tried this set-up with modest success on bank run material until the water runs out (which is after a couple of days by recapturing and re-using water that drains out of the tails). The initial amount of water needed to charge the system is roughly 11 gals (the bucket holds 3.5 gals and the cement mixing tub holds 7, plus the hoses take up some). The total amount of water needed is roughly 28 gals for two days. A better use of the re-circulator in the desert is as an adjunct to a dry washer. I have given a few demos to members of the Prospectors Club of Southern California during outings. Now I am beginning to see more of these homemade rigs pop up in places using similar components!! Most Goodwill Stores carry the walkers for about $7.95 (half off on certain days, plus my old man discount resulted in me spending $3.70 for my first walker!!).

Hope this gives you guys some ideas...

post-1713-0-51294600-1357424179_thumb.jp

post-1713-0-76803000-1357424197_thumb.jp

I had a hand sluice so I attached it to the bottom of my mini along with a extra spray bar. I use 4 tubs and 2 pumps. Works great.

post-384-0-12236300-1357431599_thumb.jpg

Edited by SGTFDA

Sarge

I always wondered why you city fellers had those cement ponds,thanks for

clearing that up. :ROFL:

Micro Nugget ,my hi-banker is mounted on one of those shower seat thingies.

It has 4 adjustable legs and don't weigh hardly anything,and is as solid as a rock.

My wife uses a walker and gets nervous as hell,every time I pick up a hack saw. :2mo5pow:

Sawmill: I've thought about using one of those shower seat thingies myself and may still do so for mounting an extra large screen to pre-classify. But meantime I acquired a SS trommel that runs silent and can process either wet or dry. To run the LeTrap I use two opposing walkers (so it can fit comfortably and be emptied more easily), the legs of which are adjustable. In addition to being lightweight I like the fact that I can fit the various parts in between all the other stuff I haul in the back of my truck.