Nugget Shooter Forums

Not sure if I was hearing things...

or not, but I think I just heard there will be a huge meteor shower tonight over Texas starting at mid-night Texas time (cst). I was cooking and thought I heard them say 100-200 meteors per hour. Can anyone confirm this? Or maybe it's just the bourbon...hahah!

Rim

You know Texas is huge right? haha!!! Got any ideas which direction to look at. I'm not into constelations Mike. As you can tell, I can't even spell it...lol! And what's the chances of a few making land fall?

Rim

Well Bucky,

If I mpeg any of it before I pass out i'll send it to you so you can clean it up....lol! But that's a BIG if...haha!!

Rimmy

And what's the chances of a few making land fall?

0. Annual meteor showers do not produce meteorites; the particles that cause the meteors are grains of dust.

And it's cloudy/raining here, too, bummer. :(

Edited by Mikestang

I might be mistaken but I believe nasa will show it on their site. Thanks Mike!

I found this other site with some info too.

http://earthsky.org/space/new-meteor-shower-might-coincide-with-2012-geminids

Edited by Rimshot

Yeah, AZ is in for the whalloping San Diego has been getting. They're saying somewhere in the range of an inch of rain for central AZ.

It's been so long since a good rain that the roads will be slick as fresh snot for a while, til the oils are washed off.

I'll check NASA's site for video.

uuummm...i got a question guys. My cameras a panasonic and old. If I set aspect ratio to 16:? so it it will be a wide view rather than tall view...is this only for taking pictures or videos too?

I'm about to find a clear patch of sky and go watch. This should be easy for me because I always find a clean patch of gold (no gold) ... I'll try to swing the detector when it gets light if I am close to a claim.

http://planetwaves.net/pagetwo/astronomy/mysterious-geminid-meteor-shower-peaking-now/

mn,

Good luck!

Bands of clouds started coming in about 10 pm here making it too hard to see. Plus my guard light was hurting my chances of getting a good view as well. And i doubt tonight will be any better. Rain here today/night.

Also there seemed to be some confusing info last night as to the peak hours to view. Our stations were saying 2-3 am but now i'm seeing some say mid-night.

I did see some videos on tv. And they were bright and coming in from different directions.

Rim

I was looking forward to seeing some of these meteors.

It hasn't rained or anything for months. Last night it clouded up and snowed, still is. No meteors to be seen, just snowflakes.

Rim,

I went out north of LA to Edwards AFB and it was clear and cold. I saw lots of them! There were 10 that turned green on me so it was a good night for viewing. A couple of them were like photo flashes where everything lit up! There were not as numerous as I thought they were going to be but more long lasting ones. I'd say there was one of some kind about every 3-4 minutes and sometimes two at once but very rare for 3. I watched for about 3.5 hours and at daylight I went hunting with frost on the ground but didn't find any gold so I am left with only the memories of the streaks.

If you have clear skies you could seem some tonight.

Mitchel