Nugget Shooter Forums

Elko Nv

Mrshafer

I am a very active treasure hunter, coinshooting, relic hunter and am moving to Elko Nv in the very near future and looking to continue expanding and learning new things to do with a metal detector. I was wondering if anyone was local to the area or if there was a local metal detecting club or gold prospectors club? Thanks in advance Brandon

Mrshafer,

Go by a place called Carlin Trend in Elko and near there on the cross street is an antique store. The owner of that antique store knows all about the area. He was not very encouraging to me as big mine companies have most of the area claimed up. Outside of Elko and towards Lovelock and Battle Mountain you end up with more private claims I am told. I have a geologist friend who gave me permission to go on his claims but it seems to be a lot different up there than most of the areas in Arizona I have hunted. There are some dry lakes south of Elko where you can look for meteorites. Let me know what you find out.

Mitchel

I was in that area a few years ago. No clubs to speak of although maybe things have changed since then. Should be a good area to hunt but you'll have to get permission since a lot of the properties are under claim or privately owned. Don't expect much help from the BLM. At least that was my experiance with them.. I agree 100% about hunting the dry lakes south of Elko for meteorites.Some nice finds have been made down that way but , even then, some of them are privately owned too. My suggestion is to put an ad in the local paper looking for a metal detecting partner. Should garner some interest that way and maybe you'll find someone who can show you the ropes.

Good luck

Steve

Tuscarora and Osceloa have nuggety gold. Nevada's largest nugget came from White Pine County.

Try the Star Hotel for the best steak dinner.

Ghost town, Cherry it boasted several brothels and saloons and served as a supply center for area mines.

Welcome to the forum Mrshafer!

From what I remember of that area there are a lot more places to look for gemstones and minerals than gold nuggets. And most of it is already claimed up. Definately talk to the locals and ask around. There is a ranger station down towards Wells and the people there used to be real talkative and informative. Let us know what you find out.

Paul

In Elko County itself, I think it's pretty much micron size gold finely disseminated in the surrounding country rock.

Howdy Brandon and all... First... Merry Chrismas and a New Year of Finding Gold and other

values. Now with this said. I'm a Nevada Native... Born and raised in Ely and a graduate of

White Pine HS class of 1948. Have been in and out of Elko since 1950.

Now to get to the basics... Many of the Great Basin Provence metallogenic areas are found

to be precious metal gold-electrum-silver Epithermal Tertiary Deposits. Shallow and rich

small bonanzas and great metal detecting areas. Some nice size nuggets have been found.

The original Carlin Trend invisible gold was originally a surface epithermal deposit... At depth

many of the old worked out epithermal deposits are now being drilled as they may overlie a Carlin Type at depth...

Today there are some knowlegeable full-timers doing great detecting little known or worked

out epithermals. Being first is essentual... The detector choice you ask?... The one you are best familiar with. And for more good information on this subject, Bill and others can get you

up to speed.

• Like 1

Last summer I did a lot of searching to see what land was selling for out West. To my surprise I found a 93 acre plot of land around Elko, NV. The price for the whole piece of land was cheap enough, I could easily paid cash for it without a loan (just empty out a part of my savings in the bank). Realizing it must be the government selling off land, I checked the BLM website on selling public lands. Apparently, when a person wants to buy land, it is not with the mineral rights. They have it checked for mineral values, government owns whatever mineral of value are there.

So, that kept me from doing any more checking about whether it would pay to buy the land for prospecting. I would have opened it up for camping and prospecting.

I do believe Lves2fsh is, or was, pondering a move to Elko, great hunting and fishing up there.

Yep trying to get a detail with the post office up to Elko but the PO doesn't want to pay for my lodging so I might not be going.

Lots of mining up there right now and all the miners have everything rented. Some of the guys are staying in motels for 6 weeks then going home for 2 weeks then back. Their employers are paying room and flying them back and forth.

Either way I will be up there in Jan and Feb on the long weeksends for ice fishing.

post-1061-0-18395100-1355889983_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Geez Greg ... The two things I miss from back East invovles fishing ... summer time stripers from my kayak and winter ice fishing. I even brought my traps out here with me! Good luck.

Mike F

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Elko and have some very good spots. Like everyone said, most of the country is claimed up and or private property. Elko has a lot to offer for the treasure hunter and prospector. good luck to ya.