Nugget Shooter Forums
dusty_nolan

Couple of Quick Questions

Hey guys i was wondering if one of yall might be able to answer a couple questions about metal detecting. I have a GMT on its way to me and I was watching a couple of Youtube videos on ground balancing and a few of the people stated that they like to run the detectors slightly positive and it will react better on smaller targets is this true? And also on coil covers does it cause any depth loss when using them? Any help would be nice :reading:

dusty,

Generally speaking small coils are for shallow tiny pieces of gold and large coils are for deeper larger nuggets. A small coil like a sniper coil (5-6") diameter might me good to 4". Where larger coils might be good down to 12" or more depending upon which detector you are using. But in any given scenario, mineralization is going to determine how deep a coil/detector can go. Just my 2 cents. And GL with your new toy!

Rim

I have ran a GMT for years. You got it right slightly positive on the balance always proved to produce well for me.

Stock size factory coil was my favorite. Always used the coil cover.

The coil cover does NOT appreciably reduce depth or sensativity but it sure extends the use of the coil by taking the abuse and is easily replacable for $15-$25 depending on size of coil ... Heck of a lot cheaper than replacing a coil. Let's see ... replace a cover a couple times a year $30-$50 for the year ... or a couple coils a year at $250- $400 for the GMT ... HMmmm! ... Think I'l wear a couple coil COVERS out! :)

Mike F

Positive GB is when the sound increases slightly as you move/pump the coil towards the ground (on the down-stroke). And yes it helps a bit in mild ground. You will have better overall performance with a accurate neutral GB. An accurate GB will allow more gain and less chatter then an offset GB. The + GB method is best used AFTER you have beat the piss out of an area and are to lazy to rake off an 1/2 inch or so :)

A cover decreases depth = to the plastic thickness.

A lot of us use a non metallic 2 part epoxy (PC7) instead of covers its cheeper and tougher then plastic.

no tape, no silly-con no dirt under the cover :)

Well thanks guys some good info here and what I wanted to hear appreciate all the help folks :thumbsupanim

Here's hoping Jim McCullough will also chime in. He has to be one of, if not the most successful GMT users out there. At least that I know of

And close by is Mike C, who has already given input. Both helped me a time or three when I had my GMT.

That's not taking away from any others who've spoken up, too. I just didn't have much interaction with 'em specifically about ny GMT.

And, yes, I did find a couple nuggs with it before moving to a PI. They are a gold getter if'n you take your time to learn them and get the right settings (factory guide isn't best, but it will get you running). Best advice I got- Run it as full out as the ground will handle and listen for just barely a dip in the threshold. Dig anything above 40, and everything below it, too. :)

Edited by GlennM

Hey Glenn, Hawkeye and I were speaking of you just an hour before I found this posting. The topic was restaurants, and we both agreed that the one you sent us to in Mesa was great. BTW, at the Mesa Show she said "Glenn's a cutie." That's a real compliment!

Dusty, optimally tuned the GMT will find flakes of AU as small as 1/10th grain, using high-end headphones. Some tips: slightly positive GB is accomplished in the Manual GB mode, not automatic. Most newbies should get well acquainted with the GMT in autotraq before using manual GB. "Advanced Nuggetshooting" goes into great detail re: the "plus sound/minus sound" method of GB'ing. In WY soil try Gain 10, SAT 10, autotraq on. When pinpointing a target, always remember to swing your coil PAST the target 6-8 inches to allow the SAT/Autotraq to reset to the soil. NEVER stop the coil over the target, it will be tuned out. Go low and slow. Most of all. make it FUN. AND.... since I haven't learned to post pictures on this Forum yet, for someone who can I'll be happy to text pics of my AU from my last GMT outing to show how small the GMT will find AU. HH JIm

Thanks Glenn and Jim I'll have to try those settings out they say its a real easy detector to learn on (which is what i need). What kind of headphones do yall recommend purchasing ? I just have the ones that came with the detector. Now if you run in fixed mode will the detector still tune out targets when you stop on a target?......and how long can u pause on a target before it tunes it out in auto?

Are there any good books on the gmt detector as far as the advanced nugget shooting that yall know of?

:blushing: :)

I second Advanced Nuggetshooting by Jim Mc as well as Follow The Drywashers from another forum member Jim Straight.

There are also many posts here at Nussetshooter on the GMT if you search on it.