Nugget Shooter Forums

Went back to my "new spot" and got into some more gold. The smallest wire bits were found with the Minelab Eureka Gold in 60 KHZ setting. This area is a very small shallow piddler with minimal gravel overburden running over exposed bedrock. They have been cleaned in my ultrasonic cleaner with water only.... The one that looks like a hollow shell is the backside of one with some host rock still in it, the only one like this...

2012-12-07_17-11-52_686.jpg

Nice gold Bill!

I'm surprised you were using the Eureka. Glad to see it found some.

Rim

Nice gold Bill!

I'm surprised you were using the Eureka. Glad to see it found some.

Rim

Hi Rim, sometimes gold that is oddly shaped or porous will confuse a PI detector causing me to miss gold and over the years I have learned how to identify this type of nugget and will use a VLF in some of these areas to see if I may have missed some of this type gold. It is hard to explain, but this has come up often here over the years and we call them invisible nuggets in jest. This gold led me to believe I should go back over the small area the gold is coming from with a VLF and I was rewarded with the smaller bits of wire and small nuggets. Most were found with the 5000 and 8" mono in fine gold settings

Can't build a house with just one tool and nugget shooting is the same I have learned :old:

Thank's for the info Bill. I wonder if the 20khz setting would have worked also.

Bill:

Thats some really awsome gold for the AZ area. :)

Glad your on a good spot for sure :)))))

Hope you find a lot more....maybe the size of barbwire next time! WEEEEE!!

Tom H.

Rim, The higher KHZ settings will hit much harder on very small nuggets than the 20 KHZ and this is one of the benefits of the Eureka Gold as you can choose from 3 settings, but the king of tiny nugget recovery is the good old Gold Bug 2 at 71 KHZ. The 20 KHZ setting may have also heard them, but did not try as I was on a mission that I figured the higher settings would be best.

Bill:

Thats some really awsome gold for the AZ area. :)

Glad your on a good spot for sure :)))))

Hope you find a lot more....maybe the size of barbwire next time! WEEEEE!!

Tom H.

Thanks Tom, this is the most wire gold I have found in all my years of doing this and it is a pretty cool deal for me. Indeed I am hoping for the big one, but this is a very small area and have it scrubbed pretty clean now. But perhaps further searching around will get me into some barbed wire :brows:

It is an interesting puzzle in that if you look close at a few of the nuggets they have some rounding and these were in the tiny wash itself most of the wire is from the head of the wash laying on and in exposed bedrock no more than a inch or so deep.... I have found nothing in the lower part of this small drainage nor in the wash it feeds. I may have to begin sampling for some future drywashing action in the deeper material below if the detecting drys up.

Yes Bucket it would be nice to see the mothership and have been out there several times now and it's getting hard to score sadly, but who knows what may be near? What I have shown I got over several afternoons gridding and scrubbing.

Way cool, Bill. Really love that wire gold. At one of my favorite spots I was detecting a portion of crumbling, chalky country rock along a strike zone where the old miners had removed most of the original ore vein, leaving only small patches of remaining quartz. At one such patch, maybe 3 inches by 4 inches, I got a nice "dig here" signal. I pounded my Estwing chisel into the decomposing rock above and behind the quartz, and then pulled the chisel end toward me, to dislodge the quartz.. As I did, the already fractured quartz made sounds akin to snapping spider webs. Closer examination revealed the quartz to be interlaced with wire gold. Burned out with HF, the wires later fetched 5x spot. Keep up the good work! HH Jim

Man o man, Bill! Ya got me all excited for ya.

Good work and great finds. it's close to home as it hasn't been bullied much.

Now that you have a piece of host rock... find the big brothers :)

Hi Rim, sometimes gold that is oddly shaped or porous will confuse a PI detector causing me to miss gold and over the years I have learned how to identify this type of nugget and will use a VLF in some of these areas to see if I may have missed some of this type gold. It is hard to explain, but this has come up often here over the years and we call them invisible nuggets in jest. This gold led me to believe I should go back over the small area the gold is coming from with a VLF and I was rewarded with the smaller bits of wire and small nuggets. Most were found with the 5000 and 8" mono in fine gold settings

Can't build a house with just one tool and nugget shooting is the same I have learned :old:

Oh yah........

Different coils...different tecters..........your doing it :)

Go hammer that spot bud and show us what you geet!

Then suck it up and pan it out :)

Good luck to you on your spot.

Tom H.

Thanks Tom, this is the most wire gold I have found in all my years of doing this and it is a pretty cool deal for me. Indeed I am hoping for the big one, but this is a very small area and have it scrubbed pretty clean now. But perhaps further searching around will get me into some barbed wire :brows:

Hope you get more..................dambed epithermal deposits......say it aint so!!

Tom

Way cool, Bill. Really love that wire gold. At one of my favorite spots I was detecting a portion of crumbling, chalky country rock along a strike zone where the old miners had removed most of the original ore vein, leaving only small patches of remaining quartz. At one such patch, maybe 3 inches by 4 inches, I got a nice "dig here" signal. I pounded my Estwing chisel into the decomposing rock above and behind the quartz, and then pulled the chisel end toward me, to dislodge the quartz.. As I did, the already fractured quartz made sounds akin to snapping spider webs. Closer examination revealed the quartz to be interlaced with wire gold. Burned out with HF, the wires later fetched 5x spot. Keep up the good work! HH Jim

That is a neat story Jim and I bet those old timers were getting some very nice stuff there only to get melted...