Nugget Shooter Forums

$700,000 Gold Missing

Goldfinger

Found this in the local paper.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/gold-dust-worth-misplaced-or-stolen/article_0a2f1326-9d6d-531c-8ad1-0b8bdcde839b.html

Why would they think the purer the gold, the lighter it would weigh?

Regardless, I bet someone is going to have a really nice Christmas. That is, if they don't get caught.

Steve

There are several ignorant statements in that article.

Gold being lighter if more pure - less volume, sure. Lighter, not significantly (based on volume again)

A bucket full... one helluva strong bucket and person to carry it.

I now know one place to not sell gold - St Louis. Instead, I'd like to buy it there... heck, a bucket full is only 30-70 pounds :)

Hey fellers, ya know, I've been a painter fer more than 20 yrs. And I can tell ya, a 5 gal. bucket of, say, exterior-solid color-oil base stain, that weighs 80 lbs. A bucket of indusrial zinc-oxide primer, that weighs a 100 lbs., and 80 lbs. of gold powder wouldn't take-up all the space in a 5 gal. paint bucket. So if I saw a neighbor struggle to pull a 5 gal. paint bucket from the trunk of his car, I wouldn't think twice, then it would just be a matter of meltin it in a 110v.2 kilo, bench-top melting furnace. You could even add impurities, you know, little tiny percentages of Cu, Ag, and maybe some Fe3 O4. If a feller did swipe it, and he just took his time to think 'bout it, and just sold 2-3, 2 oz. bars every 3 of 4 months to refiners that regularly bought from small-time miners, I think it'd be easy to git away with. yep!

Hey fellers, ya know, I've been a painter fer more than 20 yrs. And I can tell ya, a 5 gal. bucket of, say, exterior-solid color-oil base stain, that weighs 80 lbs. A bucket of indusrial zinc-oxide primer, that weighs a 100 lbs., and 80 lbs. of gold powder wouldn't take-up all the space in a 5 gal. paint bucket. So if I saw a neighbor struggle to pull a 5 gal. paint bucket from the trunk of his car, I wouldn't think twice, then it would just be a matter of meltin it in a 110v.2 kilo, bench-top melting furnace. You could even add impurities, you know, little tiny percentages of Cu, Ag, and maybe some Fe3 O4. If a feller did swipe it, and he just took his time to think 'bout it, and just sold 2-3, 2 oz. bars every 3 of 4 months to refiners that regularly bought from small-time miners, I think it'd be easy to git away with. yep!

Rock, thieves aren't that smart or that patient....

I was going to guess 29 lbs of gold. ONE CUBIC FOOT OF GOLD WOULD WEIGH APPROX 14 HUNDRED POUNDS. 29 lbs of gold dust might cover the bottom of a bucket.

Hello all, That is not a good picture of the gold but it looks likes dentistry balls. I knew a dentist thirty years ago, he was in his seventies then, that had several pounds of that stuff. It is very high purity and he kept this gold in one quart mason jars. He had a whole shelf full of them. I remember picking one up and would doubt that you would be able to say what the weight was. It felt like an empty mason jar to me. Years ago that is what dentists used to make the gold fillings. It was a long process, as it was all done by hand and in the mouth. A small tap hammer and rod was used and it took a while to do. It is pretty interesting work.

I dont know if that is what it was but it sounds like it to me. Like I said that is not a good picture. If that is what is then a five gallon bucket would weigh next to nothing. Just my two cents. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Modern Dental Gold is 10K!

Back in the day they used 24 or best they could find.

I shot a Javelina one time that had Gold Impacted into a filling in two back teeth.

Must had been Rooting in a Good Spot for sure.

:grr01: WOW that reporter came from the retard school of reporting. :ROFL: Is it just me or do ya'll smell a huge pile a :Diggin_a_hole: bs as in INSURANCE SCAM ??? :brows: I know I've become a hypercritical ol'fart due to seeing millions of scams :nutty: but this'n is really blatent---or just me as doubting thomas yet again??? :idunno: John