Nugget Shooter Forums

The nugget shooting holes to no where?

THERES YER PROBLEM I Will almost guaranty it.

Sensitivity set to 10 and most likely the ground was NOT neutral but probably mineralised to some extent.

The GB2 is very potent with the sens lower it to 3 or 4 and start out detecting then after awhile in the area gradually increase till it becomes erratic then back it down to a usable setting.

Then you won't be chasing ground noise.

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :thumbsupanim 10 nope not ever :4chsmu1: . John PS--I was helping a guy learn his machine, whom I met out in the boonies, and he didn't seal his coil cover on his unit with silicone and got hot dirt inbetween the coil and the cover. He was indeed living in a golden world as that thang went off everywhere!!! :arrowheadsmiley:

Edited by Hoser John

Air test results: Dime 13 inches/ Lead weight; Nickel 16 inches/ring; Quarter ~24 inches....

thanks for the help guys. These test were done at 10 sensitivity, low mineralization, and audio boost

While turning down the sensitivity will give you a smooth threshold, it also makes the detector... less sensitive! Go figure. With the sensitivity set at 10, the GB2 is indeed a chatterbox, but it is a very consistent chatter and any interruption or slight break in the chatter indicates a target. The various responses the GB2 makes to different conditions is what you need to get used to. The problem you were having with the deep hole is that the ground probably varied enough in mineralization (had hot spots) to throw your detector out of ground balance in the span of a single sweep. To combat this at any sensitivity setting, slow your sweep to a crawl and listen to how quiet things get. Any time the detector is bothered by a combination of high gain, hot rocks, mineralization, etc... just slooooooooooow down. You will not miss the metallic targets by doing this but you will be able to figure out if the detector was just responding to ground noise. Just be persistent, dig all the targets, and you will get an ear for what is what.

ALSO heres a video from Fisher Labs on it.

With a very good analysts of the sensitivity control.

After you become one with the bug you will start to increase its power (sensitivity).

Edited by frank c

AIR TESTS PROVE ABSOLUTELY NUTTN'-ZERO-ZILCH. Finds are NOT in the air and soil conditions predicate depth abilities, and the conductivity of the soils capacity to carry/contain the signal. VLF do much better when soils are damp also...air test are simply hype to sell units to folks who don't know squat as prove nuttn' sorry-- :arrowheadsmiley: John

Edited by Hoser John

John...air tests prove that a machine is working correctly in a perfect situation;and if everything were perfect that would also be the truth of its abilities...you will notice his target detection went from 2 1/2 feet on a dime 13 inches...now he has a more realistic sense of the maximum distance for a target and what a real target sounds like...

That said, you are correct that airtests are often used by the flimflam man to impress the unwary...

Dizzo, a few hours spent with someone that understands the GB2 would save you a lot of headaches and frustration.

fred

This is not a perfect world and when ya find nuggets in the air--where a detector is NEVER used-- I will gladly pull some outta my rectum also, when they are found in the air--til then-no not nyet natha never- :ROFL: I must admit though I knew of a crankster gangster who higraded dredging ops by eating them as his reputation was sooooooooooooooo horrendous ,owners made him strip and search every time he surfaced sooooo :brows: yes I know they can come from your anus :nutty: but not the air :4chsmu1: John

A contact test is good for checking what the coil is capable of hearing at all. Take a one grain piece and rub it on the coil with a plastic object.. If it cant see it there, then theres no way it will see it on natural bedrock in a real world situation.

Sure, you can discount or ignore fantastic-sounding air tests, but air tests are still useful, as they can help you learn your detector's response to all types of targets. Either toss test objects on the ground or get set up in an easy chair and wave away.

If you doubt, it's easy to note the response of any real target you have just recovered. Said response is what caused you to dig it in the first place, so the hard part is already done.

Now try an air test of your find before you tuck it in your poke. Any difference? It's easy enough to do along with getting that great pic of it to post later, which many of you also already do. Pretty darn quick you'll have your own data comparing air test signals to those in the ground on genuine targets.

For ghost signals, did you try dragging a strong magnet in the hole? Do you have a pinpointer that may help find an elusive signal in the sides or bottom of a hole? Small bits of conductive metal or iron clays can be everywhere, yet always some distance away. When removed dirt has a signal, that's a clue to disseminated material.

Remove the coil from the stem to allow moving it by hand with better positioning than is allowed when mounted on the detector.

Get a sample gold nugget to compare what you're reading to something known.

Just some tips from another perpetual skunker! :lol:

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

I have a GB2 as well. I work very mineralized ground, so I have got pretty fine tuned into the different sounds. I had one day where I was having simular problem to you. Every once in a while I would pick up faint signal that seemed like some type of echo and was hard to pinpoint. But in the old, Dig every signal, work ethic... I would dig and try to re pinpoint. Had some big widening holes that day. (not as deep as you described). I finally figured out I was wearing a different pair of shoes. I had been careful not to buy boots with a steal toe or shank. But, what I thought were plastic eyelets were actually painted metal. Long way around saying... check your boots. GL out there