Nugget Shooter Forums

The nugget shooting holes to no where?

Dizzo

Hello gentlemen,

I have a couple of confusing scenarios that maybe one of you may be able to answer or at least give some experienced based response.

I have been digging holes with my GB2 for a couple of months now and have yet to find a nugget, but I am not giving up. I have found a lot of trash though lol. Here is my dilemma, I have dug a few holes that are between 3 and five feet deep in areas gold has been found in which the signal seems to be everywhere in the hole, but I am unable to pin point the signals origin. I have used Iron Disc with high mineralization on and the signal still sounds off. I have had to give up on holes because of time a on a couple of different occasions.

One of the holes stopped at the caliche, another seemed to ricoche the signal off of surrounding volcanic rock, and another just kept going down a large flat rock five feet down. The signal has always started off faint on the surface and has gotten louder as we go down, but it never seems to get to the screaming " oh crap I am almost touching metal " sound.

Would you guys say that these holes may actually have something in them? I cant understand how I can pin point something in a hole that is three foot wide by 4 foot deep when GB2 screams at me so often that I am confused which direction to dig?

Does anyone have any ideas about either the pin pointing problem or have you been in a situation that seems similar to one of the situation I have stated? ie: signal reflections, signal through or in caliche, or digging so deep you dont know if you are waisting your time? The pin pointing issue in skinny deep holes is a big issue as well.

thanks gold masters of the world!!

Dizz

3-5 feet is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past that detectors abilities .If you were running a handful of others yes but GB2 never in your life. John :arrowheadsmiley:

Was there any overhanging plants? My first lesson in not finding my target was a BB in a prickly pear. We were working a patch and I thought I had a something under the cactus but once I was down a foot my signal started to get weaker. Took a bit but finally realized the target was above my coil and not in the ground. Since then I have found lots of trash in the bushes and especially wire that makes the signal sound like it is coming from different directions.

Sounds like yer not ground balanced AND it could be mineralised ground also in combination.

======Have you been instructed on how to properly set up the GB2 ????======

An ounce of instruction is worth a pound of results.

If yer detectin for gold use ALL METAL setting. Don't mess around with the disc.

You can use the disc when coin huntn with it.

I'm not criticizing you just asking if you know how to set it up and hunt gold with it.

If you are unsure or confused THE best thing is to get with somebody for a few minutes that uses a GB2 and follow the instructions they show you.

Also try to find a copy of Larry Salee's book ZIP ZIP it will give you comprehensive instruction.

Hapy Huntn

I ground balanced numerous times. There were no overhanging plants to hold trash. I use the iron disc to make sure that a strong sound is not trash, but usually still dig. I have read and reread the directions, watched numerous videos etc, so I think I am capable of understanding its operation. I know the GB2's capabilities shouldnt be so deep, but the sound is very faint above the ground and get louder as I dig. So, what you guys are saying is that if I go below a couple of feet, the detector is probably picking up heavy mineralization? I put my detector in heavy mineralization and iron disc just to make it the least sensitive it could possibly be and it still says dig. I was thinking maybe I missed the target and went passed it, which then started picking up signal on the top side of the detector. Also, I dont understand how heavy mineralization could be the problem since the target was absolute on the service. It would seem that an absolute signal on the service would not become irratic below the surface. There was no dilluted area until I dug about 2 feet, then I think things went a little misdirectional. The GB2 never chirped wildly, it was a solid signal in two apposing directions, which is why I think I may have had a top side detector signal mixed with a bottom side signal. It is very confusing and frustrating when you dont find trash on the top and get down a bit, for not. Usually that would be a good sign unless there is a hot rock, which should not produce such a strong signal.

Thanks for all of your input! What is the farthest you guys have dug with a GB2?

Dizz

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....

so many possibles....

First, any nonferrous target, even aluminum coke can size is not detectable with a GB2 and standard coil much beyond a couple of feet...that is probably too much. Try it with various size targets, iron and noniron...an air test will give you a lot of info...

Do you have a coil cover on the coil...has it been removed and cleaned lately?

There are places that have hot soil...and clay...check the dirt when youdig it out and see if you get a signal...if you do it is likely minerals...

Is your coil wire moving about giving you false signals...

I think there is a problem with the detector and or how you are using the detector...no offense intended...

How long and where have you been detecting with the gb2?

fred

There was a faint signal on the dirt when I dug it out. I clean the cover after I go out, so that should not be the problem. I can normally tell when my wire is causing the false signal. I have been doing this for a couple of months and just working out the bugs in regard to what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong. It seems as though I have been killing myself digging these deep holes in mineralized soil. I think the coil is fine and is actually pretty sensitive. The air test I have done give me a strong signal for a dime at about 2.5-3 feet. It has been a while and dont have a nugget to test it with, so that will have to wait til I find one. I do not take the comments as condescending and appreciate everyones input. I know there are some dumb(ignorant) people out there, but I think I have it under control in regards to basic operation, ground balancing, specs, etc. I really just want to succeed without killing myself digging large unneeded holes.

thanks again,

Dizz

Heres a good question that may solve the issues. When you are in motion in your hole, is it a bad idea to go up and down rather than side to side to detect? I know ground balancing is done in this manner, which is why I told my wife you should probably avoid it. Wrong or right?

Try a test garden with various targets at different depths.Most experienced prospectors use the smallest coil and target shallow bedrock and/or dry wash piles, raking an inch off at a time.The GB2 is a great unit but is severely limited in real world depth and ability to handle moderate mineralization.Do a search on youtube for "Lucky Joe" he has a few great videos that demonstrate good GB2 methods.

Sweep side to side in the hole and GB on the spoils pile.

AS fo digging deep holes, it comes with the hobby and you better not get a PI :)

I can't tell you how many time I've dug to china for a bit of trash………..

DSCN1307.jpg

Edited by nvchris

Thanks, there is no way I will get a PI unless I figure out the proper sounds and depths for the GB2...I have watched a few of the Lucky Joe videos, thanks. I have been told many times to use the rake method, and will probably try it the next time I go out.

I see by you avatar you are in Las Vegas there are many folks up there that are into this hobby that you could meet up with.

Another good idea is to stop in Desert Outfitters thats a shop I believe on Sirius av. May be wrong on the address look it up.

Bring the GB into the shop and ask Rick the owner for some advise and to see if he thinks its operating correctly.

That should be the end of the line for diagnosing if its the detector thats bad.

• Like 1

Was there any overhanging plants? My first lesson in not finding my target was a BB in a prickly pear. We were working a patch and I thought I had a something under the cactus but once I was down a foot my signal started to get weaker. Took a bit but finally realized the target was above my coil and not in the ground. Since then I have found lots of trash in the bushes and especially wire that makes the signal sound like it is coming from different directions.

LOL That's hilarous!

• Like 1

Frank,

I have been there a few times and I think I know Rick. I get maps and what not from them occasionally. I will take it in and have it checked out. As for the beebee in the bush, I didnt think how hilarious/maddening that would have been, seeing how I was already teatering on insane from digging ghost gold.

Dizzo,

The GB2 will pickup very tiny pieces of gold that is very hard to see/find if the gold has a thin covering of dirt attached to it or if your eyesight is not the best, have you ever panned any of the dirt that gave a signal after removing the dirt from the hole?

Dizz,

My stomping grounds is Gold Basin, and a few others on here also. When I first started detecting, I had the same thing happen to me, I would dig, move dirt around the signal would move, or dissappear. I then one day decided to take a few samples of the dirt home, in a 5 gallon bucket, I ran it through a small sluice, and low and behold, it was full of small flake gold. I tried 3 different detectors on it, and they all did the same thing. To this day, the creek bed produces nice flake gold.

Dave.

post-1046-0-23794000-1354588087_thumb.jp

I love it when folks go detecting in their fancy steel toed boots--or have metallic snaps on leggins/snake guards/metallic rivets on boots also/steel arch supports made withinn on and on and on and such. As china here I come hahahaha :nutty: Detect hole walls,heel toe the coil to make the sweet spot miniscule to pin point the target as that deep gotta be a HUGE chunks of iron or aluminium at 3 feet even. Larry Wilson (RIP) and I dug in Pattons campground a mite over 15 feet and found a wire wheel using the Gemini 2 boxer and talk about a couple a fools--but o what fun'n'the sun gettn' edumacated :head: ---John :old:

Au Seeker: I did run the dirt on the last one just to make sure. There was nothing in it.

DolanDave: I also live in NorthWest Vegas and I plan on going to Gold Basin relatively soon, but that three hour drive is a once and a while deal. I went up to Gold Point and stayed in the ghost town up there. That was a pretty amazing time, but also three hours away. I wish the dirt would have been so nice in the last hole and unfortunately I didnt run the dirt from the other coouple of holes. If you ever want a partner to get out there and dig holes pm me and will give you my contact info.

Frank: I set my sensitivity to 10, which could be a problem.

Hoser John: Luckily no steel toe boots, but occasionally my keys in my jacket pocket will freak it out.

FredMason: I did that test in a dirty enironment when I first got it, so the test probably was not that accurate. I will do it again tomorrow and give you real air test data.

thanks

Dizz