Nugget Shooter Forums

Taking a Sawzall to my 2013 Ranger

heybeerman

Rangers are lacking in ground clearance for good rock crawling. To make matters worse they are pretty wide.

Monday I decided to do something about it.

I started making some "boatsides" The plate is .090" 4130.

While I'm at it I will replace the fenderwell behind the front tire to allow mounting bigger tires without modifing the A-arms.

post-713-0-32256200-1354128812_thumb.jpg

The square tube is 16 ga. I bent the CoMo plate to go around it to add strength and hold up to sliding on rocks better.

post-713-0-65495600-1354128891_thumb.jpg

Comparison pic of the otherside to see the differance.

post-713-0-18864100-1354128992_thumb.jpg

235/75/15. It should measure about 29" tall

That Ranger is going to look real neat...........

I just yesterday learned the neatest trick to measure tire height of any tire and using the 235 in your tire size.

235 X .75 X 2 divided by 25.4 + 15 rim size = 28.87 inches....... that's 29" in my book

I tried this on a few different tires and it always came out correct for me.... I thought it was a neat formula.

That's the size tire i'm looking to put on my suzuki samurai as soon as i raise it two inches for clearance

Joe

Edited by Joe Z

BTDT...... Pull a complex turbo charged aircraft engine out of a plane, strip it down to the basic block then, send engine out for overhaul, put it all back together and have a few left over screws....... I think one of my mechanics would be screwin around and just threw a couple extra in while the engine was out......Could only take 10 years of that stress and found another career

Looks like I will not be able to fit the tires I wanted. I could go down a size to a 215-70-15. But I worry about their performance in the loose stuff. I will just get a 28" UTV tire.

I relocated the battery from under the seat. That will allow me to build a larger under seat storage box for almost 2-1/2 times as much room.

I have the compressor and air tank roughed in. It will all be hidden by the factory plastic.

post-713-0-73796000-1354809697_thumb.jpg

I'm adding extra floor braces to support the skid plate and strengthen the frame.

post-713-0-77912100-1354809777_thumb.jpg

Just about finished mounting up the Warn 3500 winch. It has a synthetic rope and a wireless remote. I will run the stock bumper for now, but plan on making a new one in the future.

post-713-0-05132400-1355007447_thumb.jpg

That is a really good job...... really like all that welding equipment you have in the background.Looks like a great shop to work in.

Joe

I have the compressor and air tank roughed in.

I see quite a bit of structural tubing that with a little forethought and planning could easily function as your "air tank".

I see quite a bit of structural tubing that with a little forethought and planning could easily function as your "air tank".

All of the existing tubing is punched full of holes for weight savings and unused bolt holes. Plus none of it is stout enough to hold the pressure.

I've seen too many failures when running coolant/air/exhaust through the frame. I won't even run wiring through the frame anymore. Makes it too hard to make emergancy (and non emergancy) repairs.

really like all that welding equipment you have in the background.Looks like a great shop to work in.

Joe

Without those tools, all I could say to the wife is: " THIS SHOW SUCKS! I'm gonna go hide in the garage and Drink beer"

But WITH those tools I can respond like this: I would love to sit here and watch America's next top model with you, BUT I need to get back out in the garage and fix the (insert anything here) and drink beer :4chsmu1:

You Just put a Smile on my face cause i know exactly where your coming from :4chsmu1:

Joe

Amen to that my brothers!! I'll be damned if I'm gonna watch "Honey Boo Boo".

• 3 months later...

Here is a basket I made to protect my detector. When its finished it willl have two ATV rifle holders mounted in it to cradle the detectors.

It is held on with 4 "Lok-n-Ride" attachments and is very light.

post-713-0-37785700-1363225786_thumb.jpg

post-713-0-55272700-1363226057_thumb.jpg