Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terry Soloman

Gold Prospector Missing for Three-years Found in Superstitions

Interesting continuing story ... anyone want to try to find the old mine with me? Kidding of course ... or at least I think I am! :brows:

Mike F

When I finally make it to AZ, who's willing to go into the Supes with me for a couple weeks? I'm possessed just as much as Jesse was. Dammit Terry! I had almost forgotten about the Supes and now it's like a magnet drawing me closer and closer and closer.

Maybe we can get Bill to come along and bring about 200 lbs of jerky with him...hehe! But we need some pack mules too.

I hope it's Jesse they found.

Rim

Sounds like the Dummy fell down a Crack Smaking his head.

Sounds like the Dummy fell down a Crack Smaking his head.

I've fallen into some strang cracks in my life--- never got lost for three years.

At least the family can have some closuer.

Interesting continuing story ... anyone want to try to find the old mine with me? Kidding of course ... or at least I think I am! :brows:

Mike F

Hey Mike,

One of the stories I read claims the Dutchman covered the mine up with timbers, dirt, and rocks. And if you drove a wagon over it you would never know by listening to the sound.

I'm game if you are...well if I don't get too old...lol! :tisk-tisk:

Rim

Rim ... I may be too old for all that rock climbing ... be 64 in February but my mind says 35! Back in college I climbed rocks and ice for fun! Mike F

Mike aren't you glad you came to your senses and quit that crap? Or was just age that slowed you down? :olddude:

Don ... a little of both ... started a family at 30 and realized then I needed to have a little safer hobby ... plus the finger strength was waning a bit when free climbing the verticles.

Mike F

The easy areas have been searched many times. It's the hard areas that kill you. But that's where their looking. After all it must be in a bad spot if its not been found.

Jesse has been missing for 2 years. The rescue team has searched all that time so I would say he was in a hard area.

Rest in peace Jesse. Now you know where it is.

Frank,

It didn't sound like he had walked that far into it to pitch his tent. They said why he was so hard to find. He was up on a 30 ft high shelf or ledge. When they said that, it made me wonder if a mountain lion chased him up there. It will be interesting when the autopsy comes back.

Rim

They should scrape under his fingernails and pan it out, to see if he was on to anything.

He fell into a fractured area up in the rocks. A lot of those spots have loose rock. One slip and off and down you go. Just like a cork in a bottle.

Don ... a little of both ... started a family at 30 and realized then I needed to have a little safer hobby ... plus the finger strength was waning a bit when free climbing the verticles.

Mike F

I had a crazy ass cousin in NH. Took me ice climbing on frozen waterfalls. Sort of glad I put on pounds as that keep me from doing much more of that.

People don't realize how BIG the Superstitions are. I can see them from my deck. There are a lot of good books written by locals that have gone in there and lived to tell about it.

Yep HB,

It's a huge place. In the link Terry posted at the beginning of this subject, one of the guides who give tours there said the main reason people get into trouble there, is they venture out off of the main trails. But hey, who's wants to stay on the main trail to find the treasure?

I started a thread here about the supe and it probably wasn't the 1st thread here ever posted about it because it has such a long history. After all, i'm only a rookie, and don't have a darn bit of real hands on experience with prospecting. My experience is thru your tales and pictures which helps me to understand. But anyway the thread I posted I used another web site to come up with some of my on conclusions as to where this desired mine might be that everyone has talked about in the past. But my main point is the other site that I felt like I was learning quite a bit from had some very nice pictures the Supe and all the way to both needles and it seemed fairly easy not to lose your bearings if you were to walk off into it. If I hadn't have seen those pictures and the descriptions of the pictures I would feel uneasy about going into the Supe area to look.

Oh well! I gota quit talking about this, because I get too hooked on the Supe. :arrowheadsmiley:

Rim

Rimshot a picture is one thing but the area is rough off trail. Everything from boulders rolling off the canyon rims to flash floods. You walk back in on a nice sunny day and next thing you know your in a thick fog where you can't see your feet. I can see the mountain from my house. That is until the clouds move in up against the mountain. Under estimating the area is what gets everyone in trouble. Picture yourself walking on a ridge. Temps drop, fog moves in. You step on some black ice and off you go. Cork in a bottle. Go to the Superstition Search and Rescue web site and read their list on how to prepare for your little hike.

Mac ... That might have been around Cathedral Ledge ... very popular rock climb in summer and ice climb in winter ... was lots of fun back then!

Mike F

Actually Frank if I were going to search for the mine I would search a triangle area using Weavers Needle, Black Top Mountain, and Bluff Spring Mountain as my 3 points interest. My primary focus would be on Needle Canyon and East Boulder Canyon. I really have no intentions of going near the Supe. So are the areas I speak of as dangerous as what you're describing about the Supe?

And thank's! I'll read up on the search and rescue. Oh and I wonder how much a treasure permit cost or if there is such a thing anymore.

Rim

Rim the cost of the treasure permit is included in the price for the body bag the rescuers will bring you

out in!!!!

Garimpo,

You don't have any faith in me getting in and out alive??? :cry2: I'm wouldn't think of going in completely stupid of the surroundings.

1st trip in would be on horse back if I can get my foot in the stirup and lift my fat azz upon to the saddle....lol! Or maybe they'll let me climb a fence and get get on the easy way...hehe! Or I could ask for a 12 hand high horse....yikes!!!

Man those horse back trips in and out aren't cheap. I read in the link above like 1200 bucks. I would want to get familiar with the terrain for sure before I would ever think about going in alone or with a friend.... :brows:

Ohhh...one other thing too.....my horse can't be camera shy either.. :nutty:

Would like to get Bucket and Boomer to come along too. I think we would have a blast....lol! That way they could video and if we get lost all we got to do is play the video in reverse...haha!!!

Rim

Rim

I hope I'm wrong but I fear you may get yourself in trouble back there. Never go alone. Carry a spot locator. A handgun would be nice.

Forget about the gold it's long gone. If you like crawling over rocks full of cactus, snakes, flies the Superstitons are for you. Off trail is rough. It's a not so well kept secret the mine was found and cleaned out. You can visit the spot though the brush is so thick you crawl under or walk over it into the canyon. I know a guy that has been all over the mountain and he said its the worse spot he ever walked. Go to the LDM and desertusa forum and read. Read a lot

If you do go take Bill Southern along. The gold is under his shoe.

Hey Don you want one of those BB permits. They even give you the bag to carry in. That way it's there ready to go.

A friend from Canada is hunting something back there. I provide some equipment. In Oct I went on a little hike with him. I'm still picking cactus spines out if my legs and I'm a slow careful hiker. I find little joy crawling over a path less mountain full of huge rock and brush. So steep not even a snake tril to follow.