Nugget Shooter Forums

From down Southern AZ way... What you can find inside a butt ugly ol' rock

2012-11-27_15-50-11_280.jpg

Here are some nice chunks of Calcite from San Domingo area, couldn't help but pick them up... The largest is about 4" long.

2012-11-27_15-48-43_905.jpg

2012-11-27_15-48-01_429.jpg

That first one is a keeper. I was digging down south two weekends ago and got some nice agate. Not the same as yours but it still has great color and pattern. I just need to find some time to cut some up so I can post.

Yeah wasn't expecting that nice an interior and will have to go back for some more, but not all are that nice collected 4 and this was the only outstanding one.

Yo Bill ... I didn't know that was calcite ...I've always considered it my lucky rock and found gold where ever I found that rock, especially round #4 road patch and a couple other areas ... Cheers, Unc

Yo Bill ... I didn't know that was calcite ...I've always considered it my lucky rock and found gold where ever I found that rock, especially round #4 road patch and a couple other areas ... Cheers, Unc

Yup Ron those specimens came from the same place I got my last 7 nuggets off of a hillside at the LSD and I also often find pieces of the clear calcite around nugget producing spots.

Bill,

Did you just dig em up while looking for gold or were they just laying on top of the ground?

Rim

Darn fine chunk of agate......would make for some killer knife scales

Something I have always wondered is if those rings have something to do with the age of the rock kinda like tree rings. Or possibly an era in time and how the era relates to the color of the ring. Or was the rock just instantly formed that way. hmmm...guess I need to read some.

Hey Rim you are correct that fortification rings are similar to growth rings of a tree. The difference is that the agate forms in a void so the oldest ring in on the outside with the news rings being in the center. The agate stops growing after it is solid or the flow tube has closed which would result in a hollow agate. Also the rings of an agate cannot be counted to determine age because one ring may represent a different length of time then another ring. Tree rings vary in size but they always represent one year. At least that is what I have been told. :old:

But there are always exceptions to the rules. I just dug some agate stalactites which as a cross section would look like a fortification agate. The outside rings of them would be the newest and the oldest would be the center.

Thank's Haderly! Interesting info.

On tree rings, I think (but correct me if i'm wrong) each 2 rings = 1 year of growth. You know how the rings are light, dark, light, dark?

One ring is like a summer time ring and the other is like a winter ring. At least that's what I read sometime ago. Sap runs up the tree in summer and down the tree in winter and I believe this accounts for the color difference.

Rim

Rimshot you're correct, Tree rings show a lighter fast grow ring at the beginning of the growing season and terminating into the dark ring at the end of the growing season, and then repeating, so you can count the dark rings or the light rings to determine the age of a tree.

I work with wood of many different species on a daily basis, it's a part of what I do for a living to know wood.

Well hey Skip, I prolly made the glue you might use in the shop. Well I did it from 73-91. I use to buy clear birch face/no knots 1/16th thick for our sheer test machine. We used that test to determine the strenth of our glue for 1 square inch. It was a pretty cool job. Our goal was to make sure the wood broke before the glue line broke.

Also bro, my dining table came from Blowing Rock I believe.

Bill heres a couple od ball ones from the LSD ...One is a solid placer nugget of malachite, and the larger one appears to be the same but its super heavy for its size. :idunno: I like finding those calcites out there too, always looking for the biggest clearest ones :brows:

malachite.jpg

Cool Adam, I found a few like that on the red flats where my meteorite came from (Trilby Wash Chondrite) Also have found some beautiful copper nuggets up the Trilby as well....

You want it Steve?

Got it Bill... and yes it will make some great stuff!