Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trainermick

visiting Vegas and looking for someone.......

I will be in Vegas from Jan. 1'st - 5'th and am looking for someone to go meteorite detecting with. I have permission to walk a claim in Gold Basin but here is the issue. I have been detecting for close to 30 years and am very confdent with my Fisher f75, however, being from Canada, I have not had the experience of detecting in the desert. So, I will be totally out of my element..

I am hoping to find someone willing to pick me up in Vegas and take me out for a day. I will cover all expenses ie gas, meals, drinks, etc and if I happen to find a piece of gold, you can have that too. Only want to say that I found a Gold Basin meteorite and check it off my list.

Anyone out there willing to help out a friend from the north ?

thanks

Fred McPherson

Hey Fred, I live in Michigan but had an opportunity to spend about a week at gold basin last year, and I also have an F-75 and found a couple gold basin L-4's but only with the accessory 5in. DD coil, the standard 11in. coil wont sound off on them even with yer sensitivity in high gain. So if you don't have one of the smaller accessory coils available fer that machine, you'll need to get one. The 11in. works fine on irons and H class chondrites but not the L class or low iron chondrites, so get a 5in. round DD, or the 6.5in. eliptical should work as well, and you will need to set yer sensitivity just above low gain. I had mine set at 32, oh and ground balance often, + and - hot rocks are everywhere and the soil is full of Fe3O4, but ah, good luck man, and have fun, oh, and if he's got the time to spare, git with Frank C. he's a great guy and knows gold basin perdy good......RH

Thanks for the tips and yes I have already been corresponding with Frank. My problem is that I a trying to avoid renting a car while down there.

Hi Fred,

How many days are you planning to spend hunting Gold Basin? Even us experienced hunters get skunked most of the time out there. I would also recommend renting either a Fisher Gold Bug 2 or GMT from Desert Outfitters (here in Vegas) as the F-75 is marginal for hunting L 4-6 Chondrites.

I might be able to help you out, but the date is a little too far out to make a firm commitment at this time.

Dale Romero

www.findameteorite.com

thanks for the reply. I have used a goldbug in the past so am quite familiar with it however I dont own one at this time. Is there someplace there that I can rent one ? That way I won't have to put mine in luggage. I can only go out for a day or two but have access to a very promising claim that belongs to one of the best Gold Basin hunters around. If I get skunked, that's OK. After all it's all about the search. Finding one is just the icing on the cake.

Mick the post above by Dale , He was telling you theres a shop called Desert Outfitters in Vegas that rents detectors.

Hi Fred,

Here is a link to the Desert Outfitters website: http://www.desertoutfitters.com/

Last time (3 years ago) I rented a Gold Bug, it cost $25 a day. I would call and reserve one in advance. ;)

Dale

Got in contact with Desert Outfitters and they will set me up with a goldbug. Now if I can just find someone to go with me. Really don't want to have to rent a car if I don't have to.

It's a long walk from Vegas to Gold Basin...

So what you're really looking for is someone to drive you there? Gas ain't cheap. :rasberry:

Mike I think you have the wrong impression here with the poster.

He's not looking for a "free" ride.

I do believe hes looking for someone with similar interests and the ability to take a ride to the basin and hunt then return back to the Vegas area.

And if I'm not mistaken trainermick will cover his share of expenses. He just doesn't want to rent a car if he can help it.

I will cover all expenses so am in no way looking for a free ride.

Like Frank says, just looking for someone who is already planning on going to Gold Basin from Vegas for the day. So actually, that person gets the free-ride. I even provide the claim for the day and if I happen to find a nugget, they can have that too.

I understand that people are busy during the holidays so might just end up renting a car and driving there myself. If that's the case, it may not be as much fun hunting alone but I WILL find that meteorite (maybe) :D

That's just me trying to be funny. :thumbsupanim

Fred's offer to take him to Gold Basin from Las Vegas is very generous. From my house here in Henderson, Gold Basin is 105 miles, 210 round trip. I usually spend $45 - $50 (depending on price) for gasoline. Add $6 (per person) for a McDonalds breakfast, and $7 (per person) for a Capriottis sandwich for lunch. So Fred will be spending about $60 on the person driving him to Gold Basinnot a bad deal. ;)

Now if you want to extend the adventure another day in Gold Basin, or go to Franconia for a day, add another $20 for gasoline, $60 for a shared motel room in Meadview or $45 in Kingman, $22 (per person) for dinner & breakfast in Meadview (only 1 restaurant in town) or $12 (per person in Kingman) for dinner & breakfast, and another $7 for lunch (per person). So it would cost another $109 for an extra day in Gold Basin or $84 for an extra day in Franconia.

I've made this trip many times......so not a bad deal at all! ;)

Dale R.

Dale if TM could find an iron like this those expenses would be nothing....post-300-0-50609600-1354100379_thumb.jpg

Finding a meteorite like that would be awesome!!! :4chsmu1:

That one would be worth walking 100 miles for!

Fred's offer to take him to Gold Basin from Las Vegas is very generous. From my house here in Henderson, Gold Basin is 105 miles, 210 round trip. I usually spend $45 - $50 (depending on price) for gasoline. Add $6 (per person) for a McDonalds breakfast, and $7 (per person) for a Capriottis sandwich for lunch. So Fred will be spending about $60 on the person driving him to Gold Basinnot a bad deal. ;)

Now if you want to extend the adventure another day in Gold Basin, or go to Franconia for a day, add another $20 for gasoline, $60 for a shared motel room in Meadview or $45 in Kingman, $22 (per person) for dinner & breakfast in Meadview (only 1 restaurant in town) or $12 (per person in Kingman) for dinner & breakfast, and another $7 for lunch (per person). So it would cost another $109 for an extra day in Gold Basin or $84 for an extra day in Franconia.

I've made this trip many times......so not a bad deal at all! ;)

Dale R.

HEY DALE, if you come out call me an see if I'm there, I WANT CAPRIOTTI'S TOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll put you BOTH over signals for CAPRIOTTI'S :brows:

Fred, I live in Vegas and would be willing to take you out to gold basin for a day hunt. If Frank C happens to be out there we can meet up with him also. You just gotta watch out for that little Martian guy Frank hangs out with.

Terry Scott

You couldn't ask for a better guy to show you around Gold Basin!

Rick

Funny I haven't heard from him in awhile.

But I have a feeling with Christmas coming hes due for a visit. :inocent:

post-562-0-42301700-1354409864_thumb.jpg

Watch out Frank and his martian will put you over some pretty good stuff. :D

Dave

I have found my share of gold, silver, 1812 and civil war relics, shipwreck treasures, colonial coins and just about any historical artifact that you could possibly find with a metal detector EXCEPT for a METEORITE !! What better place to have an opportunity to find one. I only need to find one to check it off my list. Thanks to everyone for the tips and offers to take me out.

Fred, Here's a couple of pictures for you. :action-smiley-068[1]:

GB_Sign.jpg

GB_02.jpg