Nugget Shooter Forums

Strange creature?

While out prospecting for gold, in the California desert near Calico, my fiancée and I were digging into the side of a mountain face when we came across this almost museum quality preserved carcass. It is complete with skull, tail, teeth, and even skin/flesh in an almost mummitized fashion. Here's a photo, tell me what everyone thinks! I can answer any questions as well.

post-26497-0-10060200-1353827208_thumb.j

Somehow the photo got flipped upside down, sorry about that :(

Hey OC,

I played around with your picture a little bit. The 1st picture redo is only flipped. The 2nd pic is adjusted a bunch to see what you're talking about. I presume what I circled is what you're talking about but I have no clue what it is... :idunno:

Rim

post-26159-0-02888300-1353831591_thumb.j

post-26159-0-43810400-1353831608_thumb.j

Yeah that's it, pretty cool editing!

We came to the conclusion that it was some type of lizard or desert mouse that got stuck in the crack and died. It was very strange in person, just thought it was an interesting discussion piece. It almost got scooped into my 5 gallon bucket while we were looking for gold haha

Bill that live thing sure is a nasty looking critter....does he bite and is he poison?

OC you best watch where you dig.... :Just_Cuz_06:

Don,

Almost all lizards bite if you mess with them enough!!

There are only 2 venomous lizards known on earth (maybe more in outer space), the Gila Monster and the Beaded Lizard.

I guess you could consider the Monitor family of lizards to be "poisonous" but they aren't really truly poisonous but instead their saliva contains many very bad types of bacteria which will cause the victim of a bite to get a very bad infection that can lead to death especially if a Monitor catches up to you once you get to weak to flee anymore!!! :th:

This is my baby Scarlett, when I saw the corpse I thought of her haha

post-26497-0-21882700-1353869068_thumb.j

post-26497-0-51139400-1353869149_thumb.j

OK I just read you link....no problem....we have them here but ours are a lot prettier...my grand-son asked

me one day why they do push-ups....

I've owned a lot of lizards, and those push ups are a territory thing. They do it when they want to say "this is my territory, back off"

Maybe I'll just buy a claim and surround it with monitors and Komodo dragons, that way they can do their push ups and stake my claim lol

Hey by the way, if you read the wiki article he posted, under the "behavior and reproduction" tab, the first paragraph explains that when chuckwallas feel threatened, they often " wedge itself into a tight rock crevice and inflate its lungs in order to entrench itself.[3][6]"

That sounds an awful lot like maybe what happened in the photo, super interesting. Thanks for the article Bill!

• 1 month later...

Don,

Almost all lizards bite if you mess with them enough!!

There are only 2 venomous lizards known on earth (maybe more in outer space), the Gila Monster and the Beaded Lizard.

I guess you could consider the Monitor family of lizards to be "poisonous" but they aren't really truly poisonous but instead their saliva contains many very bad types of bacteria which will cause the victim of a bite to get a very bad infection that can lead to death especially if a Monitor catches up to you once you get to weak to flee anymore!!! :th:

The komodo dragon is now among that list.

They now believe the saliva to actually contain a poison not just bacteria.