Nugget Shooter Forums
frank c

New Quad Tires===Review

Mike, best not load it! I'm tired of diggn bullets! Headed to Q tonight for 1 week. Anybody in the area, stop by after 4 for a brew. Will be off Tom Wells. 2nd left and in abit.

Shep

Chris here ya go

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/frank/Desktop/CHAPARREL%20%20CYCLE%20SUPPLY.htm

Edited by frank c

Chris here ya go

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/frank/Desktop/CHAPARREL%20%20CYCLE%20SUPPLY.htm

Frank,

That's not a link, it's a file from your hard drive.

I sorta interpreted the file name and I believe this is the link you meant to post?

http://www.chaparral.../553-SWL54.aspx

Skip

Thanks Skip, my puter is wacky sometimes when I try to copy and paste.

BEEN out once with these new skins and they handle great and can climb steep hills very well.

All that remains is to see how they hold up for wear and punctures.

I'm a happy camper

I have a question for all you quad owners....do quads have lockers in the diffs?

My old ATV and my RZR are actually AWD and the axles are pretty much locked all the time

Hey Steve ... My RZR has a 4x4 switch on the dash if I choose to use it. I maybe wrong but I thought the RZR 800 (50" model) was 4x2 unless you flip the switch to 4x4. Am I all wet in my thoughts? You know the RZR's better than I. AND ... It will save me having to go to the manual to look for sure. :)

Mike F

You are right, but all it does is engage the front axle, both axles are locked....... So I guess its not an all wheel drive, but either a real 2X or 4X, Don't really know what that is called. What you see for differentials are not really diff's. It's why the turning radius sucks, but why they seem to go anywhere.

And they do do that ... Just wish there was a couple more inches of clearance for the belly pan ... I'm beating the hell out of the stock nylon/plastic stock skids.

Mike F

Flats are indeed a PITA on quads. Especially when they are about 20 seconds off the trailer! I am getting ready to replace my tires, two at a time and I've decided I am going with the 8 ply tires. They are not easy to find, but they are out there. The ride is a bit rougher. I've come to the conclusion that I am also going to dig up a spare tire and rim and carry it. If anyone has any rims and tires laying around I am looking. I think Troy is looking too!

I did see a guy on one of those Razers. He had small truck tires on it. Looked kinda different and I asked him why and his answer was he was tired of flats.

Jim

Greetings Jim, check out that Chaparrel link above they are in San Bernardino Ca. and have a wide variety to choose from with great prices and I am well satisfied with my purchase of the 6-plys and their customer care. No sales tax and check out possible free shipping on certain orders.

Good luck an hapy holidays/huntn

Edited by frank c

Hi

Greetings Jim, check out that Chaparrel link above they are in San Bernardino Ca. and have a wide variety to choose from with great prices and I am well satisfied with my purchase of the 6-plys and their customer care. No sales tax and check out possible free shipping on certain orders.

Good luck an hapy holidays/huntn

Hi Frank! Yeah....that is the first place I looked! Right now, I am looking at the ITP Bajacross 8-ply tires. They are one of the few ATV tires made in the USA. They are indeed a tad bit pricey, but a flat tire has ruined more than one day of fun for us. Shopping around the internet, I have found them cheaper than Chaparrel.

Still, even with the 8-ply rating, I'd really like to see a tire that has some decent tread on it.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Jim

BTW, all ITP ATV tires, except their sand tires, are made in Clinton, TN per Joe McGuire at Carlisle Tire.

YEAH In the USA.

We even made our major Christmas purchase of 2 recliners from a company in Alabama good ol USA

Also you should be able to view the specs on any one tire telling the amount of tread

My new intercos were .66 on fronts and 1.00 inch on rears.

Edited by frank c
  • Like 1

Check out the tread on these tires. They came on a HighLifter equiped & lifted quad. Kinda useless in the desert but great for running mud boggs.

Those lugs are about 2" tall.

Thats my wife tring to look "fast" :-)

post-713-0-96579300-1357229145_thumb.jpg

post-713-0-83642800-1357229196_thumb.jpg

Blake

What do you feel the best desert tires are?

We just tested the ITP BajaCross, GB Mongrell, and Maxiss Big Horns, for our upcoming King of the Hammers race.

The Mongrells were on the top of our list, followed closely by the ITP's. The Big Horn's did not give us the kind of traction or clearance we were looking for. The race is a mix of high speed desert (75mph) and whoops. With lots of rock crawling trails and waterfalls. So what we were looking for not exactly the same as what guys here would want.

I just got a set of ITP BajaCross for my Ranger. I have heard really good things about them. I like the fact the the tread is not overly aggressive. I only have about 350 miles on them so I do not know how they will last, but the ride, traction and handeling seem great.

I feel most ATV/UTV tires are way to aggressive for what is really needed in the desert. Just leading to a rough ride, poor dirt road/ hard pack handeling and bad tread wear.

I like a tightly spaced tread or lug, yeah you might lose traction in sand or mud (which I don't typically see out there) but I don't like the large gaps between lugs, because I know with my luck that huge bald spot is exactly where a sharp rock slice my tire....am I wrong in that thinking Blake? Keeping in mind I use my quad for desert prospecting in good weather.

Bucket I was worried about that when buying my new tires but I run over greasewoods an cactus and don't seem to have a problem yet.
I think the amount of plys will help with the toughness of those areas without tread.
Also making sure tire pressures are correct as the quad tires run soft and flex when contacting most obstructions.
But hey whaDoIno anyway I just ride an hunt an hope ta make it back ta camp :idunno:

Amen to that Frank! I've kept my quad up in Bullhead for the last few years and when I get up that way and I pull it out, I always notice little green pin pricks of slime from cactus points coming out of the bald portion with no tread, the slime sealed the holes, they are literally just pin pricks and they are the original 06 stock tires with plenty of tread left but the space in between the tread always makes me a little nervous about all the sharp rocks out there.

Hey Bucket and frank check these sedona ripsaw atv tires out,they are a little heavy only because they are made from the same material as off road truck tires they are 6 ply have one hell of agressive tire tread meanning one hell of a bite.your thoughts.Mike i think this is what your looking for in your atv tires...Terry. Sedona Ripsaw ATV Tires

post-1101-0-16558100-1358228521_thumb.jp

post-1101-0-26069100-1358228591_thumb.jp

post-1101-0-20961500-1358228633_thumb.jp

They look good.
The ones I bought are 6 ply and made in the USA at least thats what I was told.
Bucket I had the same thing with my old tires slime showin but they held up even though the tread was worn
If I am right my tires were from 02 but could have possibly been a bit newer.
Any way I'm a happy camper with what I paid and got now Big difference when tryin to climb inclines/ hills with decent tread compared with the old worn out ones and steering is naturally improved also with the better bite.

Just a thought guys ... I have been told by a number of folks ... both mechanics and ATV riders ... that tires in the desert are only safe for use for 5-6 years due to the oxidation and cracking caused by the sun and dry air ... take if for what it's worth ... but even with slime or ultraseal a tire with serious sidewall cracking is not a safe bet too far away from camp. I know that is true of my truck tires and a few friends with campers say the same of camper tires so again take it for waht it's worth.

Mike F

Hey Bucket and frank check these sedona ripsaw atv tires out,they are a little heavy only because they are made from the same material as off road truck tires they are 6 ply have one hell of agressive tire tread meanning one hell of a bite.your thoughts.Mike i think this is what your looking for in your atv tires...Terry. Sedona Ripsaw ATV Tires

Wow T-Bone that is a mighty fine lookin tire!! I think I might have found my next set.