Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsumbdy

Dry washer Question?

Hand crank would be without fuel cost or emissions to operate, but you probably eat more to keep it going. You could stop for to dig more dirt without shutting off a motor or leaf blower.

Mine runs off a 12 volt battery and with a panel hooked up to recharge it can run till the sun quits shining every day. Ka chunk Ka chunk Ka Chunk

Mr. Frank, we don't want to give away all the top secret stuff. :grr01:

You are correct,the old puffer is like cranking a printing press. I have to cover it

when hauling it,to keep it from sucking the gold out of the barrow ditches on the

way to the claims. :ROFL:

All kidding aside,the old puffer is my favorite gold machine,and can be fine tuned

to perfection. A little girl could crank it with ease,its fast,light,and deadly on gold. It

doesn't need batteries,gas,or fails to run after you have packed it in. A little baling

wire a tack or two ,some duct tape ,and you are good to go.

Red , it is very seldom that I work an area where you can direct shovel onto the dry

washer. I can run a few yards a day through it ,feeding it with buckets. It just takes a

minute or two to run a bucket of dirt through , also it gives you a break from running

that darn shovel! I can pack the old puffer in ,set up and be running,while others are

still packing in and hooking up all pieces and parts. You can lean on it while cranking,

and that is a big plus for an old fart! :yesss:

I can't think of a better tool for sorting scorpions ,and rat turds from a little gold! :old:

Well if you put it that way Sawmill I would definitely agree ... not liking to run into the little stingers! Better to sort them out the tailing pile! :)

Mike F

I still like the idea of a crank puffer, any particular brands or models you could recommend?

Hi Red_Desert

The puffer that I use is an antique,and hand made,it is older than I am.

There is a lot of good hand crank puffers ,built by lots of different companies.

If I was looking for a new puffer,and could talk Frank C into building it,that

would be my first choice. I have lots of experience with the original machine that

he used as a model for his drywashers. Frank is a craftsman and knows his stuff.

The puffer that Frank copied is a gold getting machine,built by the same guy that

built mine. Mine is just a larger model.

Frank has made some updates and improvements ,with newer material that was

not available to the original builder too. Maybe Frank might consider building one

that will convert from battery to hand crank, hint, hint hint,then you would have the

best of both worlds.

I don't have the luxury of being able to drive to where I work,so packing batteries

and blowers is kind of tough. The battery powered machine is darn nice if you are

in a place where you can take advantage,of it though. All of the drywasher types

have their place and use,it is mostly a matter of what you want or need to do.

I suppose a person could set up a solar powered generator for charging batteries if they were camped lond enough in a remote area (providing they could 4WD it there). Being able to pack a hand crank sounds good.

The battery I use fits in my jacket pocket,and I can get quite a few hrs on a fully charged one, but I normally take two if I have to hike it in any distance, but the sound it makes is not noise...it's music!! I might also mention you won't find a more reasonably priced drywasher than Franks. The gas additives they use here in Cali will rot your fuel lines so most of my two stroke motors don't last very long so I would just as soon not have to deal with gas.

Frank C. makes a dang fine drywasher!!! I have an Ol' yellar and a lil' guy. Both work great. The little one is real easy to pack in somewhere and uses a pull rope for bellows operation. A suprising amount of material can be run with it!

I prefer the puffers after being around both....noise level is way easier on my ears.

Thanks guys! That answers the question of what type to get. I've seen ones made by prospectors, a couple of them on Rod's site. I noticed a thread the other day about his site, I checked it didn't seem to be there, haven't checked yet tonight. Anyway, I don't need a brand name dry washer product, especially if it cost most more. I would need to learn to set it up where I live, that might not be so easy, it's different than the type of gravel you find out west. We do have gravel roads in the country, gravel came from moraine deposits, could possibly have a small amount of gold. I don't think the county would like people dry washing along the road, even if just for practice.

Then a Li'l Guy from Frank is an awesome way to go.

Small, light, great recovery, and is from a dying breed of fine, gives a crap craftsman. :)

Bill shave his killer beard?

P.S. i made my dry washer, blower type, for under 150. Rivet gun and welder were already mine. But you could do it with no welder. 150$ ... if anyone wants help in yhe yuma area im down to do it. Also i run mine at almost 30 degrees and i never lose gokd.. well...i may but its not enough to worry about. Checked it wat a gold buddy that ran my tailings at a shallow 15 degree or so angle and i found nothing in his riffles. Its all about how you wanna run it like everyone is saying.