Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsumbdy

Dry washer Question?

Hello all,

I pick up my new 140 drywasher tomorrow. What are the major mistakes beginners make using a drywasher? rented one a couple of weeks ago and ran 24 buckets. But didn't get as much gold as running 13 buckets through my sluice (from same area) But the sluice is ruining my back yard Lol Could just have been the dirt. I did pan the tailing at first to see if i was losing gold. We were at beginning but later pans showed no gold in the tailings. I think my buddy was over feeding it at first if that is possible. Any advice with proper angle , airflow, or with pre classifying material I would appreciate. The wealth of knowlege on this forum is amazing, and appreciated!

Chris

Drywashers are like cars, some drive em fast, some drive em slow, some like em high, some like em low. I find it very hard to lose gold through that many riffles, yes you can overload it but keep an eye on the puffs, the less puff the more chances gold can be carried downward by the dirt, you have to keep just enough dirt going through to lightly cover the entire board...constantly, and that is how you can also judge your angles, too steep and you lose puffs because the dirt is sliding instead of bouncing, not enough and you clog up because the dirts not moving.(keep a good consistency) I never prescreen...that's what the hopper screen is for, if I have to prescreen it the I might as well put in a smaller mesh on top of the hopper. I've run some pretty quick test runs (not expecting anything) and found some unbelievably small gold in there. So I'm pretty confident that if your relatively set up right you'll be fine. The rest is just practice.

Open the box-do you have a offset weight attached to the fan for offset elliptical panning action or just a blower fan?? Many adjustments there. Look under riffles-is there insulating rubber there to seal off the box/riffles junction? Is the cloth clean in the box as if dirty it kills flow. Angle of classifier screen is ?? Materials BONE dry? Run clean sands with the least amount of cobble as possible-observe and look for dead areas---high blow areas. It should look exactly like the water in a sluice box-nice even flow all nice and smooth like. Same same idea as water but utilizing air for floatation... Jim Straights booklets will be of immense value to you at this stage and not expensive. Sorry for blatent ads for Jims product but true is true. John

It's a 140, so no blower. All he'll hear is flap-kerchunk of that bellows :)

Take it from Bucket and John (hopefully Bill will also chime in) as they're top notch drywashin guys. Heck, I even learned something from Bucket's post and I don't own my own drywasher, but have used both blower and bellows types with some success

The 140 is a blower model Glenn,

140HVC.jpg

I use the DW2 12V which is a puffer,

DW212V.jpg

Bucket has given a very good explination of how it should work and there is a difference in blower vs bellows (puffer) looks as material runs over the riffles though the idea is the same. Should be able to see the riffles as material evenly flows over them and adjust your hopper accordingly.

Here is a video of a 140 running....

Oops go my models screwed up.

I don't know why I only think of the 151 as the blower model.

Thanks for the correction.

Thank, the advice keeps coming! I just tried to set it up for a test run, before I packed it out into the desert. I am thinking my blower isn"t strong enough. The sales person said a 200mph blower was enough, but the fan barely spins causing very little vibration. I checked the hose connections, no leaks. took the vacuume hose out of the bucket and that increased flow a bit, but still not strong vibration. I ran some dirt and it all collected in the first to riffles, wasnt blowing at all. Do I need a better blower?

Chris

Your tray angle may have been to flat, and your gate may have been to big, and the angle of the grizzly may have been to steep. There are many variables. Take the riffle tray out and run it . You will know for sure if it is working then. While its out , make sure the counterbalance is on the end of the spinny do-hickey fan thinga majinger. A blower with a velosity of 200 MPH is enough to run 3 140`s at the same time.

Here is my140 set up at an absolute perfect angle. along with perfect feed rate.

keene1402.jpg

Are you running your drywasher off a vac-pac? Like one of the vacs where there is a leaf blower on top of a bucket? I ask because you say you took the vacuum hose out of the bucket.

If so, take the blower off the bucket and leave the air intake exposed to open air and unobstructed. I run my 140 off a vac-pac but it'll choke down if I connect it to the bucket since it's sucking all it's air through that little vac hose hole.

That fan should be spinning fast and vibrating, if it's not you definitely don't have enough air going through, or the fan is jammed or gummed up or something, check that out too. And make sure your air intake doesn't have any sort of obstruction on it, and that nothing is obstructing your fabric in the riffle tray.

Oh yeah, and not to sound to obvious, but you did make sure to adjust the throttle right? At least on mine the throttle goes from idle to tornado force. :D

The fan assembly MUST be sealed bearings style or dies real quick-you state a new unit---or new to you?? Bumb bearings,engine mistuned as at 200 mph should be good to go BUT CFM makes the fan go around. Adjust angles predicated to materials as sharp angular gravels require more angle to the box as they tend to hangup more. Round is ez to do,clay materials slower and CALICHE :yikes: is a bloody nightmare. Takes time to learn any piece of equipment and the new to you blues will fade as you learn :4chsmu1: John

Yes , running off of a vac pac. This is a brand new unit. What is CFM? I did notice that fan is not located in direct center of intake hole??? should I realign? Even at full throttle fan does not spin very well. Fan doesnt seem to catch, but also doesnt seem to spin very freely. WD40? Also the air does not seem to be blowing very strong through fabric. material sits in the top two trays, but seems to be more fluidlike in lower trays. I appreciate the help, Gold awaits this weekend!!!

Chris

CFM = Cubic Feet per Minute and is a measurement of air flow in this case.

The fan needs to be hit by the air flow for sure.

One thing to do for testing is to take the lid and motor off the vac pack and set it where the air intake is not obstructed at all. now run the dry washer. You should see the fan going like nuts in the drywasher.

Look at it this way-

The intake hole on your blower motor is considerably larger than the hole in the side of the bucket on which it sits. you're choking the air flow like this.

Something to do here that I've seen before-

Buy a bucket from walmart or home depot (that your lid will fit on). Cut some 4" holes around the perimeter near the top. Use some sort of filter material (just going a towel or other close-knit cloth) on the inside of the holes and use that as your blower stand.

You have to give that blower more air volume than it can handle or you won't get the best flow possible.

Don't use liquid lubricants with a drywasher.

Use powered graphite type lubes.

Don't use liquid lubricants with a drywasher.

Use powered graphite type lubes.

Indeed true as WD 40 etc will attract dust making a abrasive paste that will eat parts right up!

I didn't use wd40, thanks. Glenn, taking the blower off of the bucket seemed to do the trick with the fan. There seemed to be another problem, the riffle box seems to be warped, the tray doesnt fit well. you have to almost jam it in. leaves gaps at the top. and at bottom at the seam. The guys at Desert Outfitters spent a bunch of time with me to try and get it right. Looks like we will be sending it back for a new tray. Rick and Pat are always helpfull. I don't think this is a common problem with the model.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Chris

Bummer Chris and hope things get fixed for ya and I have not heard of this issue before either so you are correct that it is not common.

Thanks again for all the replies. I ran 32 buckets on Sunday. My results were not great. I think I was losing some gold. possibly to the blower blowing too hard? I ran one bucket, tested found good gold, ran the next five and had close to what I had on the first bucket. kept trying to change the variables, but always found a higher percentage of gold in the single bucket. didn't find any gold in tailings, but did see black sand. Instructions say you can run for an hour before cleanup. hardly any black sand in area I was prospecting, so riffles were not filling up. I'm sure pilot error, and I just need more practice. gravel is angular.

Chris

post-26180-0-92798800-1353984093_thumb.j

If you're not.finding gold in the tailings then it is what it is.

Sure, some real time stuff could blow off. More likely that the gold is trapped in dirt clods or clay balls and the test pan (assuming.you test banned in water) liberated the gold.

Then again, testing tailings would also be in water, exposing that gold... which leads us back to It is what it is :)

Yes practice makes perfect and once you master your drywasher all doubt will be gone. Getting everything just right takes a bit of time and we all went through the same trials and worries learning as well. Nice to see that gold in a pan and once you find that first great spot you will be ready for it!

I'll stick with my ol' faithful puffer.

I've been watching these dry washer threads, the more you read the more things you learn must be done too get proper results. It looks so easy just to stand there, while others are dry washing. I do find the blower type noisy to listen to for very long. The video with the puffer doesn't sound like it would drain your ears doing it for a day. Of course, the sound can be controlled on a computer.

You are right Red about the blowers vs puffer noise wise and I am a puffer guy like Bucket....

I'm glad to see the motorized puffers they have now.....years ago I can remember watching some hand cranked ones around Yuma, at least it is what they appeared to be, but perhaps the guys were just standing over their puffers to keep'em going right. That's why I've always thought puffers were hand crank driven. The puffer I do remember had a round spinning wheel like part was the same as the motorized one.

Red

You were not just seeing things! My puffer is hand cranked ,and a lot of them are

the same. The puffer just makes a thump,thump,sound when running,and can't be heard

very far away. :ROFL:

Mr. Greg, you forgot to tell him the part about how WELL that ol puffer retains whats important when its a puffin.