Nugget Shooter Forums

Question about bedrock?

birdlady

I am new as you all know to metal detecting. The question I have is Bedrock.. I am from Missouri. We have small gravel in creek beds. In arizona.Do they consider to dig down to the smaller rock? Also is there shale Like in layers? I want to go out and find gold but have to know where and how to look. can anyone help me? I just want to know what the ground will look like in the gravel beds. large rock then med then small. then a hard stuff. do you have to break up the hard stuff to find the gold.. ? Thanks Linda(Birdlady)

we did, but have to wait they only have meetings once a month and now we have to wait till January.. understand with all the holidays.. But oredigger gave me a great explanation..Thanks..

Birdlady everywhere you go you will find a different situation with the ground in underlaying layers.

Thats why no one jumped in to answer specifically.

They did tell you the best way to find out especially in your area. ( JOINING A CLUB AND TAKING PART IN THE DRYWASHING) thats how you will see whats laying under the slough

in that area.

Bedrock is neat,....if and when you can find it.

I understand that. nothing is in general.. and we plan on attending outing with our club. Thank you for all your help frank C.

I am sorry if you all thought I was being harsh..I am new and again I am sorry. I cant get answers if I cant ask questions... :grr01:

we did, but have to wait they only have meetings once a month and now we have to wait till January.. understand with all the holidays.. But oredigger gave me a great explanation..Thanks..

Linda., most clubs are having outings once a month this time of year. No reason to wait till january to visit the claims or attend an outing. Bedrock is the farthest you can dig. cant get past it, dig through it, or move it....gold likes to hang out there

Birdlady,

Contact the club president and tell him you don't want to wait for the next meeting but want to go out with a club member NOW to explore. My personal experience has been very positive in this regard, and most folks are more than willing to go out and show new members the ropes. The advantage with that is locals are most familiar with the geology in your area and can lead you to some good general areas to get started.

Good luck getting out there. I can tell you have been bitten by the "gold bug!"

Paul

Its just restless holidays.we need to move around. Like to find a little something, thanks for the replies . Any ideas are great.. thanks!! We are out and about nearly everyday.if you don't move you loose...

We went to the desert and found a small ravein it had this flat rocks looked like cement.. with and sand and a little black sand . We looked for cracks but could see any. the black is magnetic, I looked at some pyrite under microscope it looks like cubes. We didnt have a pick to chunk it out. the layers are gray and redish sure it was maybe iron.. but no gold,that we could see. it opens up to a bigger gorge ,watched for a curve ,there is a high bank..all this time my detector is buzzing and I am diging but no gold , fould a few can lids.. and a big square top screw all rusted, but no gold.. guess I ahve to wait for santa to bring a pick..am I the only woman that asked for tools for xmas?

Might I ask...is your detector a gold detector? some general purpose machines wont ground balance with all the mineralization. And is the detector the only means you have for gold or do you have other toys as well? The area just east of the rock quarry is a good area to sample if you can't get too far off road, if you can then try the midnight mine area.

Yes there is mountains all around.. this is about 40 yards away little down stream.. there is places where I think someone has removed some gravel as i call it.. left bedrock , not really deep like 6 ins then it spreads quite a ways.. then gets broud... I bought a dry sluth today so we are going back and check it out. first to see if there is still sound coming then for alittle color.. I did bring home alittle gallon bucket ,it has a few flakes but nothing to brag about.. micro fine.. hurt my eyes.. as far my detector this is my first one ,its a Garret 2500 It picks up lead different sizes .. low hum.. then buzzs on bigger ones. I dont know if it a gold finder or not, but it is fun trying and who knows just maybe ,I will find a little flak or two.. Happy thanksgiving..everyone...

Might I ask...is your detector a gold detector? some general purpose machines wont ground balance with all the mineralization. And is the detector the only means you have for gold or do you have other toys as well? The area just east of the rock quarry is a good area to sample if you can't get too far off road, if you can then try the midnight mine area.

I dont know if it is a gold finder or not, you see this is my first one, and I am learning.... But it is now ground balanceing ok.. I have found all kinds if metal lids off bean cans , a big square top screw.. and some gold flakes... The rock around are gray and redish color... dont know my rocks either..but learning , thanks for asking...