Nugget Shooter Forums

Baggage tag or??

Was out detecting the other day with BS. We were using the CTX3030's. The only if you will call a decent target was what appeared to be a tag of some sort, Was around and old old area that once hosted a train station and town site. Has been hammered heavely for umteen years Anyway after soaking it for a couple of days it appears to be made of brass, is 1 1/4 in diameter and has the letters and numbers J. S. CO 51 stamped in it. tried to do a google search and came up with nothing, It is now soaking in WD40 to try and loosen more of the ccrud on it. So here it is as of now.post-227-0-10423400-1353197350_thumb.jpg

I think it is a freight tag. They tagged crates and trunks with brass tags like that. They also tagged valves on the steam engines with round brass tags. A lot of cattle ear tags were little round brass tags just like that.

No telling I guess. They probably tagged as many things back then as we label or bar code today. But I have been to a couple of old train museums and they have hoops of tags like a bunch of keys that they used to tag the freight with. That looks just like one to me for no real reason except those freight tags came to mind when I saw it.

Could be a toe tag. John Schmitt the undertaker's 51st customer.

Great find AnMt--treasures from the earth don't have to be gold-JS.... wonder as had to be carrier unless the owner was a huge shipper who made his own tags--found around any train rails of old or wagon trails--and the hunt begins..so cool-thanx much-John????

Allen, I beleive that I have one that is idenical except for the #. I will have to search through the boxes of artifacts that I recovered after my mobile home burned to see if it survived as I remember it.

It is probably in this picture attached.

MaxLobo1-1.jpg

HOLY CRAPPOLA YOUR HOME BURNED??? Pray tell not recently?? I was a volunteer firemen out in Dayton Nevada east a Cartoon city and saw many mobile fires out in the desert. Much worse than stickbuilt,especially older models. Hope you and yourn had a great Turkey day and have a righteous Christmas ol'bud-John

Hey Max sorry to hear about your house :cry2: …I have been wondering what happened to you but haven’t been up that way since I saw you last. Been too busy with work and :Diggin_a_hole: Let me know if you want to sell anymore rocks especially some Ricolite. :droolin: I haven’t been doing any cutting lately since Glendale cut the shop hours. boorb Been trying to save for equipment but then I bust the piggy bank and buy rocks instead. :nutty: My wife says I have more rocks then marbles and I don’t think she means it as a compliment. :smack::4chsmu1:

John, Yep it was on the 21st of May, it took 6 months and 5K in laywers to get farmers to pay even part. We where not at home, lost everthing except the car we where driving and the clothes we where wearing., Motor Home had all our gold equiptment in it burned, '85 Ford ranger 4X4', Honda Odessey with 34000 miles on it Polaris 350 ATV, 14'Wells Cargo trailer with 4 rollaways of tools mostly Crafsman, 7 metal detectors including 2 1600GT's consective serial #s, hard cases new condition, 2 Lobo's, 2 Gold Bugs, trommel Kenne dredge, Keene 141 drywasher , Gold Miser and pans and all the stuff you can collect over the years including 25 rolls of Indian head pennys, 7 OZ of gold, old US bills, silver half dollars, 600 toy glass candy containers, a rock and crystal collection of 30 years an all the insurance would pay for was the Ranger and Polaris. It cost me $6000 to get it all hauled off!

The pictures , 6000+slides of Alaska, all my fathers and Uncles WW2 books and papers, all my guns all, my Id. Recovered a lot of my pictures from the internet.

We tried to resettle in Congress but could not make a go of it bankrupt and busted. Va threatended to cut my disability because I didn't notifiy them of my change of address and missed an appointment!

Haderly, No rocks left that you would want, I never relized rocks would burn.

Sorry for stealing your thread Allen, I still think I have an idenical tag! The picture is from 2001 or so.

Max

Billl, We have been racking our brains tring to remember but I don't think it was anround here. Best bet is an old Florspar mine in the Burro MTs of NM near what was Long John Latham,s Burro Mt Homestead.

We recovered several Lbs of stuff like whats in the Pic but have not had a chance to wash all of it, you know how much of that stuff you pick up when detecting. a well run underground mine would have a board with nails for everyones tag that they hung when they went down on the proper leavel to indicate where they where working but I don,t think this is one of them, more than likely a furniture Co. shipping tag. If it had RR on it that would make it worth at least $50.

Max

:th: OMG when it rains it really pours on your parade Max :Just_Cuz_06: Now jus' a tumbleweed n' the wind :tisk-tisk: but you still have the love of your life so all that is good is not lost. All else are mearly things......tons a au 2 you and yourn,respect as always -John