Nugget Shooter Forums

Central AZ breakup sighting

At 6:56pm AZ time Nov 16 I saw a meteor shoot N to S over the sky to the West (I was in Apache Junction just south of US 60). Color was green/blue and broke into at least three large pieces with several smaller ones. Breakup was at about 250° from my position.

I has a large pressure washer going, so I'm not certain but do believe I heard a faint sonic boom.

I caught this on my allsky camera. 20121117_015454_149 UTC

Glen, did you report this on the AMS website?? this is the best place to report sightings like this and highly recommend it.

http://www.amsmeteors.org/members/fireball/report-a-fireball

Jim

I didn't. I didn't know where to go to report and am always on my phone, so most things like ams site don't work well. I tried the link just now and the mobile report version isn't available and the regular won't work past the mapping part.

I'll go do it on my computer this morning since I still recall everything... for now :)

I didn't. I didn't know where to go to report and am always on my phone, so most things like ams site don't work well. I tried the link just now and the mobile report version isn't available and the regular won't work past the mapping part.

I'll go do it on my computer this morning since I still recall everything... for now :)

Thanks Glenn! Azimuth is real important as well. We are looking at this one as you were a good witness and my camera caught it. For it being that time, I am amazed there are not more witnesses.

If I am recalling what Azimuth is properly...

when I first spotted it, it would be at about 315° N (North being 0), 65-68° vertical from horizon

Breakup occurred at the location in my original post.

I was at 4961 S. Pinal, Apache Junction, AZ. On Tue map AMS brings up I was standing in between the two buildings (the one along Pinal and the one behind it), in front of the north roll up door of the west facing wall of the east building.

There is pinpoint location and compass/azimuth :)

• 3 weeks later...

If something fell it is East and a little bit South of Yuma.

Hmm, good area for hunting.

The fact that I saw it break up and could distinguish at least three large pcs from my vantage point tells me something likely landed. Was too big not to have.