Nugget Shooter Forums

Aftermarket battery question.

Redbeard

I'm running a GPX 4500 and hunting some nasty brushy country. I'm getting tired of fighting the power cord all the time so I've been looking into the aftermarket batteries that can be attached to the control box. I'd like some feedback from people using them to help me decide which one I might want to get. I see the coiltek one is alot cheaper than the one AZO is selling. Are there any significant differences? I didn't even look yet to see what you carry Bill but I assume you have used at least one of them.

Also, I currently use external speakers attached to my shoulder straps because I don't like fighting headphone cords so I'm wondering about running an external speaker also mounted on the machine. It seems like this might make it tough to hear faint signals. Anybody doing that?

Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris and good to hear from you my friend! I have the Coiltek system in stock and it is the berries man as is Doc's Gold Screamer setup, but can't help much with info on the AZO setup as I have not used one before, but I am sure it works quite well... Let me know if you are interested on the one I have on the shelf

I'm running a GPX 4500 and hunting some nasty brushy country. I'm getting tired of fighting the power cord all the time so I've been looking into the aftermarket batteries that can be attached to the control box. I'd like some feedback from people using them to help me decide which one I might want to get. I see the coiltek one is alot cheaper than the one AZO is selling. Are there any significant differences? I didn't even look yet to see what you carry Bill but I assume you have used at least one of them.

Also, I currently use external speakers attached to my shoulder straps because I don't like fighting headphone cords so I'm wondering about running an external speaker also mounted on the machine. It seems like this might make it tough to hear faint signals. Anybody doing that?

Thanks, Chris

Chris:

I think you will be better off using headphones....they block out wind noise and get the sound closer to your ears, plus the owls wont attack you for sounding like a dying animal.

As for the cords...you could try taping them together and running them down the front strap of your harness.

It will keep them out of the brush for the most part.

I hear ya on the nasty areas...sometimes I crawl through some nasty stuff... I snag my hat, turn around, snag the coil, turn, snag the headset.OH! and lets throw some catsclaw in there to rip your shirt and skin!......let out a few eplicitives..lay back.......then laugh at myself :)

Tom H.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to try to save some pennies for a while to buy one of these box mounted batteries but I'd sure like to get rid of the headphone cable too.

I use DOCS goldscreamer package.

Its a nice little unit that mounts on the side of the detector. One short cable on the back that doesnt snag on stuff.

Tom H.

I use Bill and Linda's set-up, has the slimmest and lightest Li-on batteries and a very small amp, adds very little weight to your control box, I use a speaker when in brush so nothing is out there to catch and the headphones at other times.......

I like it best with the speaker so it is 100% wireless but I think headphones have an edge for hearing signals better.