• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dragon nugget 36.2 grams

Found near the source.....

The Picture is aweful, I`m sorry.   But you certainly get the idea. One of the most cubed pieces I ever found. Sold long ago...

Posted Images

darn...I really like trigon crystal on gold .......it is found on diamonds too.

I did not know diamonds can have trigon patterns..pretty cool. Here is another unusal find from years back. I think this although a bit over a gram..is unique. Looks like a bug, locust.

post-22658-0-30317800-1414960396_thumb.j

Edited by Relichunter2
  • Like 1

Thanks for the information Adam. That locust specimen was around 1.9 grams or so. Here is one last one for a while.....a bit of eye candy to get the gold blood flowing....again one of my finds from years past. I call it my "Cobra Nugget", its a beautiful 16.2 gram hoppered specimen found in the California Motherlode region. This truely is one of my best examples of hoppered gold I have found, and having a cobra head at the top adds to the piece as well.

post-22658-0-91468800-1415023310_thumb.j

post-22658-0-23371300-1415023336_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hey Wes,

I know how that is, I bet to some extent all of us on this forum have sold off some of their pieces they wished they had not. I suppose when you need the cash , you got to let go of some of the stash. That one looked like it weighted a few grams, nice and chunky.

Whats crazy is thinking how many amazing specimen nuggets were melted down by the 49er generation. There were many seam diggings in the motherload that probably produced hundreds of pounds of crystallized gold, that all went to the melter's pot!

Yes very true...that's why it's so hard to let go of them. I met one owner of a mine in my area...I asked him how he markets his specimens. he said I don't, he said he uses the Collectors Edge out of Golden, Colorado. They clean the pieces and mount them, than market them to collectors around the world. I suppose that's the way to do it if you want top dollar. I have dug around some ole diggins and found a few pieces here and there....i could just imagine what they dug up from those seams..when it was all virgin ground.... must have been amazing.

• 2 weeks later...