Nugget Shooter Forums

• 8 months later...

THEY DID IT AGAIN!!!! Sent the repair center my GPX 4000 in because I thought it had the same problem

it had two years ago when they repaired it.....

They received it two days after I landed in OKC (5th July) and said they had a turn around of 14 days so that

should have been plenty of time to return it to me here in OKC....

After a week and a half no word, so I called them and talked to the tech.....he said he couldn't find anything

wrong with the machine with the computer test so he was going to open it up and see if he could find anything

inside wrong.....after another week no calls from them so I finally got a person on the phone....the lady said the

detector should be delivered that same day (yesterday), so I sat for three hours in the driveway waiting for UPS

to show up....they did even in the rain.....

Bottom line: detector was checked out.....returned on time.....no repairs necessary.....they paid the UPS and best

of all NO CHARGES!!!!!

This kind of service is especially appreciated after living where a warranty or repair of any kind is only good for

30 days or 30 minutes, which ever comes first!!! This detector is out of warrant for at least three years....just good plain service!!!!!

Thanks Minelab America

Gar,

You are in OKC and didn't come and see us? :old: Did you forget there are people who want to see you out here?

Well, I had a 'similar' experience with the service center. I was having problems (with more than the detector I should add) and I had lost confidence in the machine. I sent it in to them for a checkup and they told me that it tested fine (a 5000). I said I still thought something was wrong so they replaced the board. When I got it back there was no charge. What a great deal.

When I used it I knew it was 'better' but something else was still nagging me. It turned out to be the connections on the cord from the power to the detector. I figured I would just buy one from Bill which I did and a couple of days later I got a call from Minelab and I told them my cord was damaged. (I didn't send it with my unit when it was tested!) They told me they would send me a new one (free), which they did. Now I have a new cord and a new backup. Thanks Minelab.

It works great and I have no excuses about Minelab equipment. All of my standard ones are still with me.

The moral of my story is ... send them everything to be tested. They told me later when they sent the call ticket for return I could have sent all the coils, the unit, the battery, the cord ... everything.

If you need any service send them everything.

Mitchel

Sure wanted to take a side trip out west and see they AZ dessert again but the grand-son has been having

problems with his breathing so we went through a series of test and found out he has Asthma. So with the

cost of travel.....testing and meds a side trip will have to wait.

Left the gold at home.....to risky just bringing gold to show off......besides Bill might tempt me into trading gold

for a 5000.

The issues I thought I had with the 4000 was for the last few months whenever I bump the coil against a rock

or tree the threshold would disappear until I thump the side of the detector with my finger tips.

So if it does it again I'll just keep on thumping.

Kinna sounds like he's out of excuses now. WE WANNA SEE SOME BRAZILIAN GOLD.

Klunker talk El D. into letting you follow him down and when you clear the luggage area I'll be waiting with a cold

beer in each hand!!!!

The issues I thought I had with the 4000 was for the last few months whenever I bump the coil against a rock

or tree the threshold would disappear until I thump the side of the detector with my finger tips.

So if it does it again I'll just keep on thumping.

Don sounds like a short or bad connection in the output to speaker/headphone, not necessarily a problem with the control box.
Could be the output is being disrupted upon impact somewhere in the wiring to speaker/hdphone

Edited by frank c

The early 4000s had trouble with the ribbon cable under the control end. Minelabs fix was to wrap it in foam rubber, tape it. and secure that with a hot glue gun.One of mine has held up that way for years. Also a loose nut on the back of the power cable connector loses its' ground and causes the symptoms your describing. Has your push button switch been updated to a toggle switch?

• 2 weeks later...

Yea klunker I have the toggle switch and Minelab repair thinks it may be in my sound enhancer, so I'll try that

first thing next time out.....also all of my cable connections which I do fairly often.....

Frank what your saying could be the sound enhancer I think....thanks for the help folks