Nugget Shooter Forums

Mystery Rock

Hi there,

I have a quick question about a rock I found about a year ago while camping in the Mojave Desert. As you can see from the pictures the rock is more metal than stone. It's extremely heavy (best paper weight ever) and if I scratch it wish say a paper clip it regains a shiny appearance. It has a sort of light colored rock crust around the metal which I though maybe could be some worn down fusion crust or something. I've tried to identify the rock online through pictures but I really haven't found any that look as metallic as mine. Any information would be appreciated, it's been bugging me for awhile.

Thanks!

post-26470-0-94175300-1352208393_thumb.j

post-26470-0-61396600-1352208405_thumb.j

post-26470-0-60084600-1352208416_thumb.j

It is hematite or magnetite. Do the tests to identify a rock and it will tell you exactly what it is.

Streak test, specific gravity, and cut a window to see the interior. Take a look with a magnifyer and identify any crystal structures present.

The basic identification process for any rock will reveal the identiy of yours. All rocks are not the same but the process used to identify them are. Just go back through these posts and you will see these steps explained in detail about a thousand times. If you are usure about the tests or the results of your tests post your questions. We can sure help you from there as soon as you have begun to analize the rock.