Nugget Shooter Forums

Trash in desert......

birdlady

When we traveled this past weekend we went in several area;s of California and Arizona . There was stacks and stacks of tin can's ,bullets, and ect... cant believe people dont take it in and bring it out.. this is a sign that was there at one of our stops...

You should see Morgan City Wash, 40 miles N. of Phoenix ... Just as bad or worse!

Only at the head of it where all the kiddies go to party and shooters leave the brass and plastic (typical of shooting areas)

Go 50 yards past that down into the actual wash and it's virtually trash free (minus a few spots)

Go a mile in and it's nothing but old timer trash... called historic relics now, lol.

There are a few people living back in there. Pretty interesting area for sure.

This week just like every time we go out to the desert, we take one bag for our trash and one bag for others trash. I know individually one extra bag of trash isn't that much but if everyone would do it there might be some improvement. At least it helps our claims look a little better. :grr01:

Sledge ... Excellent idea ... I bring my detected crap out but I tend to leave the beer cans etc out there. I'll join your campaign ... anyone else?

Mike F

This week just like every time we go out to the desert, we take one bag for our trash and one bag for others trash. I know individually one extra bag of trash isn't that much but if everyone would do it there might be some improvement. At least it helps our claims look a little better. :grr01:

I have been doing this for years as well..... I always pick up trash in camp or parking areas as well as picking up crap in the field.

I think most of us that use the outdoors do suscribe to the idea of 'pack it in and pack it out'. We usually bring out more then what we brought in because we were tought respect for the land by our elders. The one's that are the offenders are usually the occaiosnal users that didn't have any direction in use of our wilderness.

I first started in the boonies in the 1930's and my father was very adamant in not leaving an imprint on the land. Picking up fired shell casings to bringing out extra junk. People in those days wern't as disrespectful as what we have in the field today. There are more toys and contraptions to be used and tested in the field today and brings out a remanint that doesn't belong there. It is not going to change until peoples attitude changes towards each other and nature. Yesterdays shenanagins is a good example of where we are heading in that direction.

Old Tom

Yes, and just think the trash your father and mine picked up in the 1930's is considered "archeological" today and has to be left where it lays. 50 years from now all those diapers, beer cans and shotgun shell casings will be illegal to pick up.

:arrowheadsmiley:

Rabbit, I look at your picture and I swear that I'm looking in a mirror. The one next to the dog I mean.

I think that 50 years form now the guys aren't going to have a place to hunt anymore. Better take advantage of it now things are a changin.

Old Tom

yes go hunt ,but pick up your shell caseings carry a bag and train the dog to pick them up. get a grabber if you can't bend over.. We spent over 4 hrs picking up trash and had to pay the trash man to take them. but, it our part of mother nature giveing us little gold,which I might add has not given us..

Keep trying birdlady...the IOU :112: will come due in the form of a nice big one for ya!! :yesss:

birdlady I have to agree with bucket ( first time today, hope the last time). :aw-shucks: ...just think about how small you coil is

compared to the size of the desert.....hang in there and one day you'll put that coil over your prize... :ya: .

Rabbit, I look at your picture and I swear that I'm looking in a mirror. The one next to the dog I mean.

I think that 50 years form now the guys aren't going to have a place to hunt anymore. Better take advantage of it now things are a changin.

Old Tom

May be sooner Tom way things are looking.... Bill

Great Topic :D ... Some good points have been covered. The trash that was left by

those during the 1930's at Dutch John (a Depression Day mining camp) north of

Pioche Nevada is now illegal to remove. It was visited by a group archeologists during

recent years who studied, identified, and cataloged the rusty cans as examples of the

living conditions that existed during a period between 1932-1934.

Broken glass, such as dishes, bottles, bits of china, etc., were of special interest. Also,

back then the "tin cans" were still soldered which helped the archeologists (college

students) to roughly identify what the rusty can may have once contained.

A while back my son and I along with a neighborhood lad came accross a dump I guess was situated in back of the mess hall of a mining camp. The area was so overgrown it was really difficult to get to. The brush would just rip your clothes apart. The dump was so deep in tin cans it was up past your waist in parts. Bottles were not very common but the cans were all the soldered kind. We did come out with a few somewhat more modern ones of the Log Cabin veriety. They were in the shape of a log cabin with the logs printed on them. The youngster got the better one of the day and was thrilled to this day with his find. I remember them at the table in the thirties. We also found a three oz. nugget below in the creek soon after.

Old Tom

HOWDY ALL, I JUST FINISHED PICKING UP A 15 GAL BAG OF OLD TRASH LEFT IN THE GPAA CAMPING AREA IN GOLD BASIN. 90% WAS OLD STUFF. HOPE I DONT GET TICKETED BY THE BLM FOR HAULING OUT ANTEKIES. I'VE CLEANED UP ALOT OF CAMPING AREAS THAT I'VE CAMPED IN OVER THE YEARS. THANK YOU GPAA FOR A NICE CAMPING SPOT.

HARRY

Thank you Harry ... It is action like that that allows us to keep coming back. Keeps the GPAA happy and more importantly the BLM happy!

Mike F

Archived