Nugget Shooter Forums

What type of quad?

Bedrock Bob

It looks like I have passed my Land Cruiser on to my son. Three complete rebuilds, two transmissions, two rear ends and one complete restoration. Over 600K miles. 27 years I have driven it. Brings a tear to my eye but I am happy to see the handsome young man get it.

Now I need a four wheeler. A big one that i can carry at least a 200 lb. person at 200 lb payload and not be overloaded. It has to be able to take big rocks and rough terrain. I don't need a brand new, but like new. And I dont need the latest and greatest but I want good quality and reliability.

What a stupid azz question huh? Well, I know I opened a can of worms but I would really like to hear what you fellows have to say. Prospectors work with their vehicles and probablly know as well as anyone what a hunter/prospector/trail rider type of machine would be best. How big? What brand?

I always considered the darn things the jet skis of the mountains. I hated them. Now I am going to buy me one and I can't wait.

Any suggessions?

I put over 9000 miles on my Polaris and only had to replace a drive belt.

I was over 400 lbs and never had trouble with it for power.

I got and X2 made to 2 persons to ride inline like a bike and it gave me extra room when riding solo.

Quote from Ol Yeller.................

BOB, hear these words, "it will be the single most improvement" you will make to this hobby/interest.

Belee...DAT!!!! The only advice I would say is a must is fuel injection, I've got a Polaris 800 EFI and it has bigger balls than I do, I've closed my eyes and punched it through some brutal stuff and it has never...EVER failed me. The only thing I would have on my wish list is power streering. I pack a keene dryawasher and a ton of crap on it so eventually I will need some upgraded shocks and tires but it is one heck of a machine and the freedom it allows you?......PRICELESS!!

Bucket will have this beer hauler in no time.....

post-300-0-11034900-1351518251_thumb.jpg

Driving during a hurricane is never advisable, but sometimes it can’t be helped.

Take emergency services, for instance. Their job is to get to people who can’t get out of harm’s way, but when faced with widespread flooding and a compromised infrastructure, they have to deal with the same vehicular limitations as anyone else.

Overcoming these was the goal of the almost too aptly-named Phibian from Gibbs Amphitrucks. With a unique wheel retraction system, the 30-foot long amphibious vehicle can transform from off-road capable truck to boat in less than 10 seconds, giving it true go-anywhere capability.

Powered by a 500 hp turbodiesel engine, the 4,500 pound Phibian can travel at highway speeds on land and can hit 25 knots in boat mode through the use of a water-jet propulsion system, similar to personal watercraft.

Although it only exists as a prototype at this stage, the company says there has been considerable interest from first-responders and law enforcement agencies, not only in the Phibian, but also the Quadski amphibious four-wheel ATV recently introduced by its Gibbs Sports Amphibians division.

One if by land, two if by sea, or just one for both?

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/10/29/gibbs-phibian-is-all-terrain-hurrcaine-machine/?intcmp=features#ixzz2AhBM0LvN

Polaris RZR. It will go just about anywhere you dare try to take it, while bringing a giant load of whatever you want to bring along. Plus it is way more fun and safer than an ATV. I bought mine 1 1/2 years ago used, only had 900 miles and 85 hours on the clock got it for way less than 1/2 the price of a new one and it has been super dependable. I can carry my 151 drywasher,lunch, fuel and all the associated digging equipment needed and a passenger! Thank you Craigslist!

El Dorado has a point. If you have not tried a side x side. GO find one and give one a demo ride.

I prefer a Ranger over a RZR for overal detecting and such. But a RZR will get you there faster, more comfortable and actually go more places as far as rock crawling due to it's smaller size.

The Poo Poo,s do not hold up well around here for farm use check out their forum. Most of us have moved on to Yamaha or Honda. My Honda foreman has 32,000 miles on it and one top end rebuild good machine but rides rough lousy ground clearance. I bought a Yamaha grizzly 4 months ago holds more weight runs circles around the Honda. Full Independent suspension power steering, the ability to lock all four wheels in 4x4 drive and great ground clearance. Check out the Honda and Yamaha forums lots of info on them. Bob

For reliability you can't beat a Polaris. I have a Polaris RZR 800 ... Bedrock Bob ... probably not the ideal machine for you ONLY because of a clearance problem I find from time to time. Don't get me wrong I love my RZR for where it will take me and it's stability and power ... oh yah ... it will go 60+ mph if there is room for it to roam! It's a 50" wide (same as the larger ATV's) Side by Side and easily handles 500+ pounds of people and gear. Plenty of power from the 800(actually about 780 cc) motor, shift on the fly 4x4 and hi-lo transfer case. Have had various makes of snowmobile back east and always went back to the Polaris. Point being reliability. A 500 or 800 Polaris Sportsman quad would be my choice for what you want to do ... I think either would perform admirably with little modification ... primarily secondary market designed racks for front and rear storage. Engine, suspension, transmission, clearance, reliability etc would be as good as it gets.

Just my humble opinion and experience.

Mike F

If you weren't looking to haul a bunch of gear (x-tra weight) I would tell you to stick with a 250 sized unit air cooled.

Bulletproof without all the elec. fans water coolers relays sensors etc etc.

But you're talkin bout haulin equipment like a pickup truck so ya need somethin BIG !!!!!!

I have a 500 Polaris,it will haul everything that I can pile on it.

It will get you into a place that you wish you had never went as quick as any

of them too. The old girl is cheap on gas and has never gave a problem. :ROFL:

I have to agree with Frank too. I had a 250 Artic Cat and it would do anything

that a guy really needs to do,and just about as quick. You will be surprised at

how much ground you can cover,and how quick that you can do it with any ATV.

Bob the difference between the big machines and the smaller 250's is when you are in a situation where you need to get off the machine and literally grab it and pull or move it slightly.

You can do that with the smaller ones.

Some of the larger machines your NOT going to move by hand in a tight situation they are just too heavy.

Unless maybe your a young person with plenty of strength. I know I have tried that with a polaris 500 I was using before I owned my 250 suzuki.

But be that as it may , you are not looking at a smaller unit you require a larger machine to haul like a pickup would.

I have a Kawasaki Brute Force 650 it can haul anything up to 175lbs. on the front rack and another 75lbs. on the rear. Only thing is the carbs keep cloggin and need rebuilding constantly. Don't recommend it, definately get EFI without all the problems carbs have with the new fuel additives gumming them up.

Bob,

Here is my new baby. Working on making a rack to hold a tire, two detectors, coooler and what ever else. But leave most of the bed open for other stuff. This thing is a 2013 with the power steering. What a dream to drive. It relley does not get any beter than this for back country exploring/camping/working. Best thing is it's registered street legal. :-)

post-713-0-60524900-1351566588_thumb.jpg

I wonder if Polaris has anything new with regards to power steering on older machines, I found a unit online for like 1200 bucks...way too much! then i found a torsion type setup but it needed to be modified to fit at around 400 bucks...if it was bolt on I'd probably do it but I figured I would wait and see if more options came up in the future. With the weight I put on this thing I'd like to upgrade the shocks but they run some hefty bucks too!!

Bedrock, theres another problem with going BIG on these ATV's as I've always seen it.

Theres a point with all the add-ons etc. like the power steering some mention when you might as well have a JEEP or another type UTV or truck and have the benefits of decent creature comfort and the reliability of an auto.

Warning about side side and wide atvs. Here in kalif ,and almost all forests,dual posts are being installed on all inroads and MUCH signage disallowing anything wider than 51' wide entry. Ifn' ya don't fit you in deep $hit,go around and OUCH. I love doing it in the dirt but big brother--not my relative--is yet again playn' games so before you invest please think about whats best---John PS-San Juan Bay Costa Rico,only way to get there was atv......and it was gooooooooooood

post-23710-0-55111300-1351604399_thumb.j

John, those are only for OHV riding areas, nothing to do with the many logging, fire and old dirt roads. I have never found a problem in all the areas I take my RZR. Besides, a regular RZR is only 50" wide for those that enjoy the boring trail rides in OHV parks