Nugget Shooter Forums

Apprentice/ Prospecting Help

Dizzo

How is it going prospectors of the world. I am relatively new to this fun hobbie/ past time or however you want to classify it, and really want to get out there and get dirty. I have went out a few times by myself and with my wife, but am not having too much luck. I built my own sluice and after about a month of using it I decided that I was probably losing more gold than anything, so I just bought a yellow jacket 45" sluice with four 18" stands. I added recirculating to the sluice I made, so I have to adjust that for my new sluice. Any way, I really want to get involved. I have regular job that allows me to be off every other weekend and sometimes during the week, so dont think that I am some guy that just wants to make money. I really enjoy the information and getting in the thick of it. If I could do it all over again, I would have gotten a degree in Geology. I live in Las Vegas and would love the opportunity to learn from someone and basically just want to get out of what I do now. I make plenty of money, but I do not enjoy it...Please let me know if anyone out there is looking for an extra hand if in the area.

thanks

Dizz

Howdy Dizz and welcome to the forums. Try looking in your area for clubs to join and that can be a huge help when starting out GSSN is one that has some claime a short drive from you and perhaps a drywasher or metal detector would help as well (or both)

How is it going prospectors of the world. I am relatively new to this fun hobbie/ past time or however you want to classify it, and really want to get out there and get dirty. I have went out a few times by myself and with my wife, but am not having too much luck. I built my own sluice and after about a month of using it I decided that I was probably losing more gold than anything, so I just bought a yellow jacket 45" sluice with four 18" stands. I added recirculating to the sluice I made, so I have to adjust that for my new sluice. Any way, I really want to get involved. I have regular job that allows me to be off every other weekend and sometimes during the week, so dont think that I am some guy that just wants to make money. I really enjoy the information and getting in the thick of it. If I could do it all over again, I would have gotten a degree in Geology. I live in Las Vegas and would love the opportunity to learn from someone and basically just want to get out of what I do now. I make plenty of money, but I do not enjoy it...Please let me know if anyone out there is looking for an extra hand if in the area.

thanks

Dizz

Dizz do this prospecting as a hobby and a fun thing.....DON'T quit your good money job....

I second, third, and eleventy-billion what Don said.

If you want to go broke, go for it. This is not something to take lightly. I know very few people who could make a livable wage doing this... and they all work their asses off to do that.

I want it to be a hobby or just for fun, but I really would like to be somewhat successful at it. I finally found gold yesterday, though not very much. I actually did send out my registration for our local gold prospecting group a few days ago, so I hope I meet some cool people. All I really want to do is learn what anomolies to look for in geography and the little intrecacies that make a dude successful at this hobby. I got a GB2 this weekend and finally ran dirt on my new 45" sluice. Let the fun begin.

I have attached some great info for Nevada if anyone is interested. A 1978 Geo mapNEvada Geology nice.pdf, a 2010 Geo map(nope the map was to big), the 1938(i think that date is correct)Nevada Geology.pdf Geo Survey Papers, and a topological progression map with layersnevada geo2012_layers.pdf...Nevada is one of the few states that I have found that makes maps like these so easily available and printable in good quality formats. I am sure the moderator will want to put this info in another arena, but here it is anyway.

nevada_general_geo.pdf

Dizz there is an outing planned for this weekend at Gold Basin Az. Not far from you and 2 of the Las Vegas clubs have claims there.

The clubs will be present so if you wanted to join they can sign you up on spot.

And you can't find a better atmosphere for meeting others and getting tips an hands on experience.

GPAA and GSSN will be there at the outing I believe along with a bunch of other wild rascals , Fri Sat Sun. Nov 2nd - 4th.

I agree with Frank. If you're off this weekend, make the trip. Lots of good folks and tons of info to learn.

I've found folks are more apt to teach when the student is right in front of them.

I have to chime in here about one aspect of “Prospecting”

OFFICIAL BLM LAND STATUS

BLM MASTER TITLE PLATS (MTP)

These show official land status of whole Townships (36 square miles).

No sense expending time, labor & expense searching (prospecting) for something.

IF YOU CANNOT OWN IT (stake-file a mining claim over it)

Realize, just because land is federal public domain under administration of the BLM or USFS.

Does not mean it is always OPEN TO MINERAL ENTRY.

http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/

Click “search documents”

Click “LSR”

In Land Description Click “State”

Enter Township, Range & Meridian

Beginners guide to interpreting a BLM Master Title Plat

http://www.blm.gov/c...reviations.html

http://www.blm.gov/or/pubroom/files/MTP_Help.pdf

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/wy/resources/mtps.Par.0547.File.dat/Explanatory1.pdf