Nugget Shooter Forums

gold or silver if hit with hammer will not splatter then what is it?

birdlady

lI thought it was silver did the acid test and then smacked it with a hammer now I have silver flakes all over my board. what is it.? It kept its luster under the gold test and used the silver acid to , but it is real shinny like aluminum foil.. what could it be?

I like to guess using no pictures so I will say hematite or magnatite. The magnatite at one of my mines is silvery and flakey but is also magnetic. Have you tried a magnet? I have even seen small gold on and in the magnatite. Gave it a nice gold luster. Put a 30x loop on it and see what you have. I hope you have found a aluminum foil load. That aluminum is great stuff!

A foil lode will give you huge delicious tin foil dinners for life :4chsmu1: Be carefull however, as all the foil deposits in Arizona are owned by the Reynolds Corp.

If your mineral is really shiney and hackly / brittle , it is probably Galena.

Galena is a good guess. Those foil lodes are very valuable...easy to tell as it crinkles instead of shattering.!!!

Gold is amorphous. Pyrite has a definite crystal structure. If you see those fracture lines all lining up at definite angles like that it is not gold. It is a mineral crystal.

The crystal sructure of minerals are the easiest and most elemnentary way to ID a mineral. Since gold does not have a visible crystal structure nor a fracture then it is easy to ID this way.

Look at the "ends" of the specimen. See how it is all 'hackly" and broken off on two distinct lines of fractiure? That in iteslf is proof positive that it is not a native metal. But that does not mean it does not have gold values...it just means it is not native gold.

If it crumbles it is not gold. if it dents and forms as you bend and shape it it is a native metal and PROBABLY has gold content. If it breaks, fractures, crumbles or has geometrical lines of fracture it is not gold.

So what you have is definitely not native gold. Pyrites (iron and copper sulphides) are the main ore of gold though and so the gold content in your specimen may be high. it would not be free milling native gold though.

lI thought it was silver did the acid test and then smacked it with a hammer now I have silver flakes all over my board. what is it.? It kept its luster under the gold test and used the silver acid to , but it is real shinny like aluminum foil.. what could it be?

A streak test is another way to help indentify some minerals. Very easy to do.

http://hms-beagle.com/PDFs/Mineral_Streak_Test.pdf

http://www.minerals....rty/Streak.aspx

Steve