Nugget Shooter Forums

possible meteor sighting

Hi guys. Long time no talk. Hope everyone is doing well and having some great finds.

Just informing that there was a possible meteor sighting in the Bay Area. Around 7:45 PM, I was eating dinner when I heard a muffled boom sound that vibrated the whole house. About a half hour later, the local news channel suggests that people saw a large fireball streak across the sky in the Bay Area. Not sure if any pieces made it to the ground, but it sure was a unique experience for me.

Simon

Lots of reports coming in for Booms, and fragmentation. From Orionid meteor shower.

http://www.mercuryne...-bay-area-skies

Cool, thanks for the link!

My first thought was that it was an earthquake, but there were none recorded at that time. Awesome to know that it really was a meteor.

There are reports that pieces may have landed in the Martinez Hills area, so maybe I will go out this weekend and check it out. (Sorry to double post, I can't edit my posts for some reason)

Lots of reports coming in for Booms, and fragmentation. From Orionid meteor shower.

Dave, that fireball was not part of the Orionid meteor shower. As Rob Matson pointed out, "Wrong time, wrong direction, wrong speed, wrong size. As we all know, the Orionids are associated with Comet Halley"

Mike

I witnessed this meteor last night myself. I was watering my plants in the front yard at 7:45 and just happen to be looking in the right direction when I seen what I thought at first was a firework but then after a few seconds it blew into about 6 good size pieces and dissappeared in the night. green and red and blue.....looked amazing. To bad i didnt have my Video going for something else because it seemed like it was very close to me and slow to drop and it most likely would of been shown on TV

It was a total miracle i seen it straight on from the Sacramento area. When I see the footage someone took of it, the angle of the video is from the opposite direction I saw it fall which leads me to believe it fell somewhere in Cali. It looked close to Sacramento so i guess around Davis or woodland is where the pieces fell.

Funny thing is I was going to post it on this forum last night at 7:50pm but i figured it was no big deal, heheh , to funny

Should of posted it.

Jerry

I know it's a long shot, but I'm going to go check out the Martinez Hills area Saturday with my mom. There are some places to hike there. Probably won't find anything but you never know! :fl:

Well, which one did YOU mean Fred? :)

At any rate it was probably a mix of both. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of going a little more north of Martinez, like Benicia or Vallejo. If pieces did make it to land, the larger fragments should have gone farther than the smaller pieces (I think?). So it would be better to search north of the supposed landing site.

Leaving on Sat to Mill Valley area from SO Cal. Rain forcast for Monday. If interested in teaming up Here or there? call 909-855-6152 Sat after 10am

Good luck to all going,

Gary

New reports are coming in that it landed in a different location, so anyone planning to head to Martinez should reconsider. Astronomers now predict that it landed somewhere between Petaluma and Sonoma.

Well, just got back from the hunt. Didn't find anything, but that was to be expected. It was a beautiful day anyway, so at least I got to go on a few nice hikes. Good luck to anyone else that goes to search. Most of the area where it was expected to fall turned out to be private land, so my options were somewhat limited.

Hey Dave,

Another story.... watch the slide show...I think it's a cool way to show meterites in a photo...on crumpled tin foil... :brows:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/national-international/NATL-Meteorite-from-Calif-Fireball-Fell-on-Bay-Area-Home-175216291.html

Looks like it bounces the light to do away with shadows.

Rim