Nugget Shooter Forums

California Greenstone load deposits...

mariposagoldbag

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who has experience with load vein in greenstone, particularly in the Mariposa area. I'm interested in seeing a picture of the kind of quartz that carries gold. I find a lot of quartz in green stone with quartz crystals growing on it, is this type of quartz known to carry gold? I'm interested in the geology of the Colorado Mine, Pocket Crystalline Gold. Thats the kind info I would like to know about...if you have any experience in these types of mines, and don't mind giving me a little bit of an education, get in contact with me. Thanks!

Nice photo's, thanks! I see alot of quartz in greenstone that look similar to what you got there but always kinda thought it was bull quartz. I guess I should ask if there are any characteristic differences between the quartz you see laying around all over the place and the quartz that is actually holding gold? What exactly do you mean by run along side of the greenstone? I'd love to see more photo's if you have them...thanks!

The greenstone is country rock around here. Various outcroppings running northwest direction with a dip to the east with quartz outcroppings between the greenstone outcroppings. Our gold is very fine micro gold in the mica attached to the quartz as well as good amount of gold in the quartz.post-25522-0-37103500-1350504664_thumb.jpost-25522-0-51031600-1350504731_thumb.jpost-25522-0-11205100-1350504764_thumb.j

We also have bull quartz mixed in with the iron stained quartz. This was from a quartz pocket mine tailings, approximately 10' circle and about 3' down for the original diggings, the tailing pile is still being processed for large nuggets. Trommel and Gold Cube is the next step to capture the loose stuff.

We are 2.5 miles east of the gold discovery park in Coloma, right on the motherlode. Large serpentine outcroppings in the area as well.

Garden Valley is known for it's pocket quartz gold. Reading Chris Ralph's book "Fist Full of Gold" now about the making of the area and how gold developed.

Not all quartz has gold, iron stained quartz is a clue to where to look but not all of it has gold.

Rick

I have an area that was once quite a nice nugget patch that had several areas I found nuggets associated with green stone, None had any actually in the nuggets and the specimens contained a grey/white quartz. This was that where ever I found a patch of the green stone rubble on the surface I also found nuggets....

I am no geology professor, but here is a half gram piece found in a old tailings pile north of Coulterville. It appears to be white and blue quartz, and according to some old timers, the gold was to be found in the white and blue ore. There was also some gold found in some black country rock as well, basalt maybe???? Anyway I hope this is of some help. I see that the 3500 is still producing. Good health and good hunting...

Mine nuggett 2.BMP

Mine nuggett.BMP

I've mined there on and off for over 57 years and found gold in quite a few configurations of black crumbly shale vapor depositions, lotsa quartzy pieces, black as night maganese covered pieces BUT I think I have a nice specimen in the bank box from the early 60 attached to a black/greenstone mix. Just never impressed with any gold IN greenstone but quartzy veins ,contact points,dikes and such-John

post-23710-0-52676800-1350567544_thumb.j

It may be referring to black carbonized silicous slate.Get a copy of Volumne 53 January-April 1957 from the California journal of mines and geology,has all the Mariposa County info..including the Colorado mine.

David, do you know the issue for the Georgetown/Coloma area?

I've mined there on and off for over 57 years and found gold in quite a few configurations of black crumbly shale vapor depositions, lotsa quartzy pieces, black as night maganese covered pieces BUT I think I have a nice specimen in the bank box from the early 60 attached to a black/greenstone mix. Just never impressed with any gold IN greenstone but quartzy veins ,contact points,dikes and such-John

Ahhhhhhh the oldies...life was so much better in them days... :D

Geojack,no I don't.However the state library in Sacramento should have all the mining reports,bulletins,special reports and county reports of mines and minerals.I'm not talking about the city library,but the state library in Sac.Also I think the BLM has a library in Sac or Folsom.Most of the old mining reports or old quarterly state mining reports have indexes in the back of them with all the publications since time began.There's also a seperate book of just indexes.You might try google books,as they have a vast array of mining books and reports to download.......

• 2 weeks later...

I am no geology professor, but here is a half gram piece found in a old tailings pile north of Coulterville. It appears to be white and blue quartz, and according to some old timers, the gold was to be found in the white and blue ore. There was also some gold found in some black country rock as well, basalt maybe???? Anyway I hope this is of some help. I see that the 3500 is still producing. Good health and good hunting...

We found a huge chunk of the blue quartz up by dog town, around coulterville . no gold in it but those mountains are strewn with mines that piece of quartz was 50 pounder one of the guys with us threw it up on his shoulder and carried it 1/2 mile down the hill, actually he jogged with it on his shoulder, that guy was in freakin shape LOL

Thats a beautiful specimen oakview i've never seen gold in blue quartz i dont think, bet thats rare for these days and valuable...

We found a huge chunk of the blue quartz up by dog town, around coulterville . no gold in it but those mountains are strewn with mines that piece of quartz was 50 pounder one of the guys with us threw it up on his shoulder and carried it 1/2 mile down the hill, actually he jogged with it on his shoulder, that guy was in freakin shape LOL

Thats a beautiful specimen oakview i've never seen gold in blue quartz i dont think, bet thats rare for these days and valuable...

Thanks for the compliment Vini. It was taken from a club claim out of a old tailings pile. It is the club you are familar with. I really love that little picker. Below is another very small piece in more traditional white quartz, but is unique in that the gold forms a bridge between the two pieces... Good health and good hunting, we will have to meet up again somewhere....5-13-12.BMP

The greenstone is country rock around here. Various outcroppings running northwest direction with a dip to the east with quartz outcroppings between the greenstone outcroppings. Our gold is very fine micro gold in the mica attached to the quartz as well as good amount of gold in the quartz.post-25522-0-37103500-1350504664_thumb.jpost-25522-0-51031600-1350504731_thumb.jpost-25522-0-11205100-1350504764_thumb.j

We also have bull quartz mixed in with the iron stained quartz. This was from a quartz pocket mine tailings, approximately 10' circle and about 3' down for the original diggings, the tailing pile is still being processed for large nuggets. Trommel and Gold Cube is the next step to capture the loose stuff.

We are 2.5 miles east of the gold discovery park in Coloma, right on the motherlode. Large serpentine outcroppings in the area as well.

Garden Valley is known for it's pocket quartz gold. Reading Chris Ralph's book "Fist Full of Gold" now about the making of the area and how gold developed.

Not all quartz has gold, iron stained quartz is a clue to where to look but not all of it has gold.

Rick

so you weigh the stone with the gold? I have found that on quarts but thought it was brown dust so didnt fool with it.. dont worry i save all my rocks.

Vini, thanks for taking the time to post that info on the Colorado. So that quartz and gold you got there came from greenstone huh? I'm confused because most of the gold and quartz I've found or seen has been really rusty and mineralized. I see milky white quartz coming from greenstone in many different location but wasn't sure if the milky quartz carried gold. Is there any characteristics in the milky quartz with the gold in it that differs from bull quartz?

THAT GOLD I HAVE IN THE WHITE QUARTZ CAME FROM HUNTERS vALLEY DOWN IN BEAR VALLEY WEST OF MARIPOSA, SURFACE VEIN THAT OLD TIMERS DUG AND LEFT BEHIND, SOME OF ITS RUSTY JUST HAPPENS THE PIECE I FOUND WAS ALL WHITE.

GREEN STONE UP THERE IS GOOD INDICATION GOLDS CLOSE BY, BUT DON'T PASS BY THE WHITE QUARTZ IT HAS GOLD TOO.

THE PICTURE IS FROM A GULLEY IN HUNTERS VALLEY, THE GOLDS IN THE GREENSTONE I NEVER FOUND IT UP IN THERE DIGGING BUT ITS THERE

post-5828-0-75637600-1352511643_thumb.jp