Nugget Shooter Forums

Just starting out, suggestions?

Hitchhiker

Hi I'm new to the forums and prospecting.

I just joined the GPAA/GPAP (in AZ) and I was wondering if anyone had some advice about which method to pursue for recovering gold.

I have been out to the LSD Claims and classified down to #8 and found a couple gold flakes after panning for about 30 mins, so I now have the 'fever' :)

I was wondering though, after watching Keene 151 drywashing videos and reading all about metal detectors (and seeing the huge nuggets), what is the "best" method for prospecting in AZ?

I could stick with what I am doing and haul water around in a tub and pan it out, drywash and pan later, or look for nuggets with a detector.. I'm not looking to get rich, but I would like to get the biggest bang for the buck..

Any suggestions?

PS: I've got to say that everyone in the GPAP has been very kind and helpful to a newbie like me, thanks alot!

Hitch

I would think that by your explanation if I were you, I would find a used...but good detector, sure you could go quite a stretch with nothing but atleast you aren't hauling water or having to pan anything or shoveling all day with a drywasher and needing a blower or battery. That to me is the most bang for the buck!! and if you do find some gold with it...it could possibly be of a larger size than the fines you might get drywashing. :m2c: By the way, welcome HH!!

All Arizona gold prospectors need a drywasher, a recirculating sluice (for the wet season), and a nuggetshooting metal detector. You should also join Weaver, and Y Not, out at Rich Hill. If you want to buy a Arizona made drywasher, talk to Frank C., here on the forum, or Bret Chicott out of Chandler http://AZDesertGold.com You'll save a lot of money. You don't need to haul around a "tub" to pan. Just a five-gallon water can and an extra gold pan to pour some water in is all you need. The real key is keeping it simple and getting yourself into gold-bearing areas that haven't been pounded to death. If you want a great nuggetshooting metal detector, start with an Arizona made, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq http://www.tesoro.com/product/detectors/lobost/index.html Talk to Bill S. here for a great deal.

• Like 1

I personally believe that you should become familiar and proficient with all methods. This will allow you to find out the method you like best and also have you set up for whatever the conditions and location dictate. While detecting is awesome , it certainly is not the end all to finding gold... my 2 cents... and keep the change.

Hey, Brent. Wondered when you would finally start talking on here. :)

I've given ya a good bit of info at work, but now you're getting it from the pros... who have given a lot of great insight to me.

I'm just really glad that the Lobo ST was mentioned quickly, as that's what I was saying, too. Imagine my embarrassment if they'd said something different :).

We will have the drywashers (both Keene 151 & 140) and recirculating slide going at the outing this weekend, so you can see what they are all about. We will also be selling raffle tickets for that RDH recirculator you saw at the meeting.

I'm playing hooky today, so I won't be at work (what are they gonna do, fire me? LOL)

See ya tomorrow.

The club should help shorten your learning curve tremendously. It is hard to answer a blanket question like that fairly. It really depends a bunch on what you can afford to get. A metal detector and a drywasher are a killer combo.

I go to Stanton area not often enough, but I would be happy to meet ya sometime and you could swing my Tesoro and my GMT if it would help ya to decide if that was your bag. The more you get out the faster you find your style.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I was up at Golden Dreams in AZ today with the GPAP Club/GPAA and it was a great time

I did haul about 10 gallons of water, buckets, 4 classifiers, concrete mixing tub and 3 pans (brought my mom), shovels, etc. and panned all day. Didn't find too much though, just a spec. I also brought up a Discovery 2200 that a friend had laying around.. It didn't do well due to the heavy mineralization in the AZ soil (so I've read) and it doesn't seemed to be tuned for gold. We took a small raffle nugget and put it on the ground.. The Discovery didn't detect anything..

If anyone is heading out, let me know I would like to tag along and learn more!

Thanks all

He forgot to mention that it would detect pop tabs and shoe eyelets to about 6-8" air test.

I'll vouch that Brent is a hard-workin' sonuvagun out there. When he said all day, he is not exaggerating!

Sorry I was so beat, didn't sleep for crap last night in the cold and strange bed out there.

Let me know if you have any questions with the gold buddy (he checked it out from the club trailer). I'll have to show you how the Gold Miner works next time. We just need some dirt with gold in it :)

Thanks Glenn..

I got the Gold Buddy setup and ran material I grabbed at the end of the day from the other claim (in 15 mins before the sun went down) and found about 6 fine pieces with the Gold Buddy.

I think I have it dialed in pretty well since I was able to recover so many fines.. Wish there were bigger pieces.. Maybe next time! :4chsmu1:

But it did not pick up a .45g nugget that I placed on the ground. The one common dig team did find some nice gold with BIG flakes. I'll be back to that spot. Glenn we should hit it with our detectors first.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I was up at Golden Dreams in AZ today with the GPAP Club/GPAA and it was a great time

I did haul about 10 gallons of water, buckets, 4 classifiers, concrete mixing tub and 3 pans (brought my mom), shovels, etc. and panned all day. Didn't find too much though, just a spec. I also brought up a Discovery 2200 that a friend had laying around.. It didn't do well due to the heavy mineralization in the AZ soil (so I've read) and it doesn't seemed to be tuned for gold. We took a small raffle nugget and put it on the ground.. The Discovery didn't detect anything..

If anyone is heading out, let me know I would like to tag along and learn more!

Thanks all

I am also new at all this and like you recently joined the GPAA and this forum. Following this forums advice I scored a used Tesoro Lobo Super Trac for $250 by watching Craigs list. It needed a new coil because they didn't use a coil cover. DA! I was up Prescott way and stopped in at the Tesoro factory and bought a new coil for around $100 and they matched the new coil to my unit free. They stand behind their products lifetime guarantee. This forum is nothing but valuable information from people in the know and I'm so glad it is here for us newbies. Thanks to all who share their knowledge by the way! Give me a yell anytime, I'll go up with ya, I live only 20 minutes from the San Domingo wash and be there at the drop of hat.

You guys sound like you have a great start.

You have friends who are close bye to answer questions

and you have this forum.

One of the things a lot of us did when we joined was read the back topics til you puke.

It is amazing how we all basically ask the same kinds of questions

and how many times these questions get answered.

I am not saying don't ask questions, quite the opposite,

you learn the most by asking (which you already probably know).

It is like of like the old story of the neophyte who leaves his master and for ten years goes out on his own.

After ten years he returns to the monastery and says "Master I have been searching for ten years and look what I have learned."

The master smiles at him and says "I only wish you had asked before you spend all that time I could have showed you that in ten minutes."

It's a lot like that in this forum, there are some seriously good master-prospectors here.

Anyway, welcome and good hunting (and learning).

Flak

That's a pretty nice deal Sledge!

Thanks for the info, I will let you know as soon as I can find a deal on a detector.

Thanks

You can rent a Tesoro Lobo Super Trac at Pro-Gold in Sun City for $20 a day I believe, if ya wanna check one out in the meantime. Don't know if ya gotta reserve it for the weekends or not but I do know if ya rent it on Friday, you get it for the whole weekend for the same price because they are closed. Let me know if ya wanna head out. The two of us could really cover some ground in a day. Blind leading the blind :ROFL: