Nugget Shooter Forums

Texas Deer Hunt

Joe have you ever tried smoking some of that deer meat?

I would not try it Don. It would probably just clog up the bong something terrible. But that thick jerky they make in that country...like a beef ham...venison is GREAT cured like that! I bet Joe knows just the stuff I am talking about. It is not jerky but some Bohemian cured meat that just kicks butt. They make it in those little German/Czeck/Polish towns in central Texas and there is some sort of ethnic name for it I can't pronounce.

Joe, my ex-wife has a ranch near La Grange, Tx. I hunted there for many years and shot a bunch of those little white tails. I lived there too for a few seasons. They have a nice thing going in that part of the country. I fell in love with a Bohemian beauty dancing to the oom-pah band at the Fayette County Fair one year. I have had fond memories of the place since.

Ask your buddy about C.J. Halamicek. I bet your friend knows my son's family. They have been there for many generations and have a whole bunch of ranches in Fayette County as well as acreage near Fredrickburg. RIght in there next the the LBJ ranch west of town I believe.

Plenty of feral hogs there. How about bringing back the latest hog story! There is always a monster that has just been shot or a herd of a thousand that is plowing someone's woods down.

Good luck to you! And keep those fire ants off you when you are sitting in that deer stand!

Yup. I used to tease my Texan father in law about the size of the deer. Like a long legged jackrabbit. Not too bad eating though and a hoot to hunt them out the back door while you eat your breakfast or in a little box at a fence corner while you drink coffee. No shortage of deer in the hill country.

One morning I was sitting in a stand that overlooked a pipeline clearing. Been in there for an hour and lots of doe were standing around the box looking through the gun slot. Bleating and wondering why it smelled like cigars and coffee in there. I was half asleep. All of a sudden a big racket from the top of the little rise and a big freaking MOOSE stepped out! A set of horns on that bugger eight feet across! I schitt you NOT!

It wasn't long until the owner of the neighboring game ranch came looking for his moose. It seemed he had a contract hunt going on and a hole in the game fence he didn't know about. He told me that there could be a couple of zeebras outside the fence as well becasue they hadn't located them on the ranch that morning and were still looking.

The deer may be small but the moose in Texas are HUGE. I mean really, REALLY big! Damndest sight I have ever seen hunting was on the tamest fenced woods I have ever hunted on. Fancy that!

Joe have you ever tried smoking some of that deer meat.....I've eat some that was Hickory smoked and now

would love to have some Mesquite smoked..... :droolin:

I make jerky out of a lot of the deer I bring home, marinade in soy sauce and Worcestershire before I smoke it in a big smoker I built on a trailer years ago. I use mesquite, I grew up with it, I love a real Texas smoked brisket. Making me hungry thinking about it.

I would not try it Don. It would probably just clog up the bong something terrible. But that thick jerky they make in that country...like a beef ham...venison is GREAT cured like that! I bet Joe knows just the stuff I am talking about. It is not jerky but some Bohemian cured meat that just kicks butt. They make it in those little German/Czeck/Polish towns in central Texas and there is some sort of ethnic name for it I can't pronounce.

Joe, my ex-wife has a ranch near La Grange, Tx. I hunted there for many years and shot a bunch of those little white tails. I lived there too for a few seasons. They have a nice thing going in that part of the country. I fell in love with a Bohemian beauty dancing to the oom-pah band at the Fayette County Fair one year. I have had fond memories of the place since.

Ask your buddy about C.J. Halamicek. I bet your friend knows my son's family. They have been there for many generations and have a whole bunch of ranches in Fayette County as well as acreage near Fredrickburg. RIght in there next the the LBJ ranch west of town I believe.

Plenty of feral hogs there. How about bringing back the latest hog story! There is always a monster that has just been shot or a herd of a thousand that is plowing someone's woods down.

Good luck to you! And keep those fire ants off you when you are sitting in that deer stand!

I'll ask about C.J. Halamicek, my last name is Jezisek we are probably kin, My Dad is from Granger Texas.

There are lots of hogs out there, I shot one year before last, got my 5 deer last year and had to get home before I saw any hogs. Buddy had a trap out there with a corn feeder but hadn't caught any hogs while I was there. Hope to get a shot at some this year. That is fun hunting there.

Never hunted Deer there but the ones I've seen would have just been snack for my dogs. Man there small.

Deer out there are small, There are a lot of them. Texas let's me shoot 5 deer in Gillespie County. All five can be does or a combo of 2 bucks and 3 does. I hunt a place in Abilene and there are big white tail there There is a 10 point that weighs about 200 lbs that I hope to poke a hole in. got plenty of pictures on a trail cam. Those big deer are a long way from fredricksburg though.

Yup. I used to tease my Texan father in law about the size of the deer. Like a long legged jackrabbit. Not too bad eating though and a hoot to hunt them out the back door while you eat your breakfast or in a little box at a fence corner while you drink coffee. No shortage of deer in the hill country.

One morning I was sitting in a stand that overlooked a pipeline clearing. Been in there for an hour and lots of doe were standing around the box looking through the gun slot. Bleating and wondering why it smelled like cigars and coffee in there. I was half asleep. All of a sudden a big racket from the top of the little rise and a big freaking MOOSE stepped out! A set of horns on that bugger eight feet across! I schitt you NOT!

It wasn't long until the owner of the neighboring game ranch came looking for his moose. It seemed he had a contract hunt going on and a hole in the game fence he didn't know about. He told me that there could be a couple of zeebras outside the fence as well becasue they hadn't located them on the ranch that morning and were still looking.

The deer may be small but the moose in Texas are HUGE. I mean really, REALLY big! Damndest sight I have ever seen hunting was on the tamest fenced woods I have ever hunted on. Fancy that!

There are a lot of exotic big game species in Texas that are free ranging. Some of the high fences got damaged from flooding years ago. If you see one while in a deer stand it is fair game no tag needed, There are Kudu, axes deer, several others. Always a chance you can bag one in Texas.

Hey Joe,

Actually there are some heavy bucks down in the hill country. But the problem is a lot of land owners don't practice game management. So they end up with scrawny deer and spikes galore. If they could afford to build 10 ft high fences to keep the bad from getting in with the good, things would be mucho better. I use to hunt a place just west of Telegraph Texas that was well managed. I drove across like 3 leases to get to the one I hunted on and it was a different as daylight and dark. Instantly you noticed deer that were in much better shape when you got to the managed lease. The Hunt brothers use to lease it a long time ago. A little old wirey lady about 70 years old owned and managed it at the time (back in the 80's). 5000 acres with 25 stands. A true joy to hunt for sure.

Rim

Hey Joe,

Actually there are some heavy bucks down in the hill country. But the problem is a lot of land owners don't practice game management. So they end up with scrawny deer and spikes galore. If they could afford to built 10 ft high fences to keep the bad from getting in with the good, things would be mucho better. I use to hunt a place just west of Telegraph Texas that was well managed. I drove across like 3 leases to get to the one I hunted on and it was a different as daylight and dark. Instantly you noticed deer that were in much better shape when you got to the managed lease. The Hunt brothers use to lease it a long time ago. A little old wirey lady about 70 years old owned and managed it at the time (back in the 80's). 5000 acres with 25 stands. A true joy to hunt for sure.

Rim

Sounds like heaven to me, I like to think I am helping the population on the place I hunt by removing as many as I do. There are some bigger deer that stay hidden but there are a lot of stunted deer.