Nugget Shooter Forums

Quartz and........Garnet??

I picked up this little guy from the Date Creek Ranch area today. I guessing the small, darker stones are garnet. I have found a bunch like this and am wondering if you can confirm my suspicions? They are all Deltoidal icositetrahedron shaped. ( thats google, not me... Im not THAT smart! )

If I did an Oxalic acid bath for the quartz, would it damage the other material?

Sorry if this is a newbie question.... Thanx

post-22719-0-08036000-1349838423_thumb.j

Nice crystal , whats the dimentions?

They certainly look like garnet , however one of the most common minerals associated with the crystals there is a Pseudomorph of Limonite after Pyrite. Your crystal habit though says Garnet. What variety , I wouldnt know. It there any color to it? it is opaque or translucent?

No, I dont think oaxalic acid would hurt anything. but I would suggest CLR & tooth brush for the material there.

Did you find that in one of my fresh tailings? :D

Nice crystal , whats the dimentions?

They certainly look like garnet , however one of the most common minerals associated with the crystals there is a Pseudomorph of Limonite after Pyrite. Your crystal habit though says Garnet. What variety , I wouldnt know. It there any color to it? it is opaque or translucent?

No, I dont think oaxalic acid would hurt anything. but I would suggest CLR & tooth brush for the material there.

Did you find that in one of my fresh tailings? :D

Actually I found a pocket of them by accident.... stopped to drink some water, spotted a nice speciman and began digging. They were all floaters... Yielded quite a few good ones. Dimensions are about 2 inches wide and about 2 inches tall. All the garnets I have found at date creek are very dark and opaque. Some are actually free formed, not attached to any matrix.

Hey Cakewalk, ya know there are about 15 known garnet species, with the 3 most common bein Pyrope, Almandine and Spessartine, and yers lookin like Spessartine. A little further north in Montana in the Eldorado Bar area, gem quality Spessartine has been mined. It's a manganese aluminum silicate, leaves a white streak, 4.2 sp. gr., 7-7.5 hardness, could be combined with Almandine, thats not uncommon. I'm guessin you cut it from a granite or a granitic pegmatite, or some other type of metamorphic host rock.

The cluster is about 2 inches square and was not cut from a host rock, it was found with other similiar specimans, but seperate from each other a few inches below the surface.

Refering back to my comment , and the fact that I have never found a garnet out there (now that I think about it) I will have to say that it is most likely limonite after Pyrite. The place is littered with unique specimens of this mineral and is very commonly associated with the quartz there.

Garnet is about 6.5 to 7.5 in hardness, Limonite is about 4.5, so if you can scratch is with glass (5 in hardness) or if you can't, you'll probably have your answer with that test. I would pick an inconspicuous spot to test it if at all possible.

Garnet is about 6.5 to 7.5 in hardness, Limonite is about 4.5, so if you can scratch is with glass (5 in hardness) or if you can't, you'll probably have your answer with that test. I would pick an inconspicuous spot to test it if at all possible.

They do not scratch glass..... So I suppost the final answer is not garnet! Still pretty cool though.