Nugget Shooter Forums

Which acids for what?

Steel Pan

Had a little discussion with my Pard yesterday regarding the use of Nitric and Hydracloric acids.

So, to help settle a little matter, since neither of us are absolutly sure, what are the different uses of these acids in relation to prospecting/refining? :89:

Not only the use of Nitric and Hyracloric acids, but the use of Cyanide and Clorides in leachiing too.

I agree with Steve , and don't try and get your info from youtube. These guys are lucky to still be breathing and it's a wonder they haven't blown up the whole planet !!!!!

( a little observaton here,....)

I screwed up and made a duplicate post. Felt kinda dumb about that. :tisk-tisk:

BUT, y'all are responding to, not only the wrong post, but without reading my question. :arrowheadsmiley:

Somehow, I don't feel so dumb now. :yesss:

Nitric Will dissolve (Digest) just about any metals know to man but the Platinum Groups and Gold.

Hydrochloric is effective on all Organics.

Cyanide and Chloride (Chlorine) Can be used to Break Gold down to the Molicular Level and Leach it out of other materials.

This Site has some good info for you.

http://webpages.charter.net/kwilliams00/bcftp/bcftp.htm

( a little observaton here,....)

I screwed up and made a duplicate post. Felt kinda dumb about that. :tisk-tisk:

BUT, y'all are responding to, not only the wrong post, but without reading my question. :arrowheadsmiley:

Somehow, I don't feel so dumb now. :yesss:

I use a little forum magic and merged both of your topics and deleted your first post in the double posted topic, so now everything is in one topic, abracadabra!! :brows::4chsmu1:

Before posting any links on how to use acids for gold refining, I must warn everyone NOT TO TRY THIS AT HOME and NOT TO TRY THIS IF YOU DON"T KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU"RE DOING, or YOU WILL MOST LIKELY DO DAMAGE TO YOUR'S OR SOMEONE ELSE'S BODY, OR WORST YET DIE OR KILL SOMEONE ELSE!!!!

http://archive.org/s...age/n9/mode/2up

The i.Shor link posted by Steve and the website that Homie posted are very good sites!

I would also recommend that you check the Gold Refining Forum.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/

There's is much more online but I would advise you to let someone that knows what they're doing do this if you need it done!!

Before posting any links on how to use acids for gold refining, I must warn everyone NOT TO TRY THIS AT HOME and NOT TO TRY THIS IF YOU DON"T KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU"RE DOING, or YOU WILL MOST LIKELY DO DAMAGE TO YOUR'S OR SOMEONE ELSE'S BODY, OR WORST YET DIE OR KILL SOMEONE ELSE!!!!

http://archive.org/s...age/n9/mode/2up

The i.Shor link posted by Steve and the website that Homie posted are very good sites!

I would also recommend that you check the Gold Refining Forum.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/

There's is much more online but I would advise you to let someone that knows what they're doing do this if you need it done!!

Ummm...guys?

Acids are not really that bad...I use them every day. Millions of people use hydrocloric 32% (muriatic) acid to lower the PH in thier pools.

The only way it will eplode is if you dump water into it...not really an explosion..more of a chemical reaction, but its still going to blow out and get all over you and burn.

If your going to use acids...........read up on them and respect them. Always add acid to water....not water to acid. Use the proper PPE and you will be ok.

The only one I would suggest to stay away from is Hydrofluoric. It will show no mercy if you get it on you and takes a special anditote kit to deal with it.

Tom H.

#1 rule of acids is-In ignorance there is no bliss, just pain ,agony and suffering. Done properly it's no big deal but par for the coarse as 90% just stumble along without proper equipment,process or procedure so I no longer assist unless I am absolutely sure of the person as seem way tooooooooooooo many folks who refuse to be careful. Err on the side a caution ALWAYS-John

The only one I would suggest to stay away from is Hydrofluoric. It will show no mercy if you get it on you and takes a special anditote kit to deal with it.

Tom H.

Nitric Will dissolve (Digest) just about any metals know to man but the Platinum Groups and Gold.

Hydrochloric is effective on all Organics.

Cyanide and Chloride (Chlorine) Can be used to Break Gold down to the Molicular Level and Leach it out of other materials.

This Site has some good info for you.

http://webpages.char...bcftp/bcftp.htm

I know of most safety issues surounding the uses of acids, and I appreciate all of your safety tips. :shake2:

Hydrofloric actually penetrates through the skin and attacks the bones.

We were under the assumption that Hydrocloric would disolve Gold.

BTW,

I use a little forum magic and merged both of your topics and deleted your first post in the double posted topic, so now everything is in one topic, abracadabra!! :brows::4chsmu1:

Thanks!

I'll dig through the web and see what it says about Sulfuric Acid. I don't know if it has uses in prospecting/refining.

The thing about knowledge is that you may as well get what you can, you may need to use it sometime. :arrowheadsmiley:

Sulfuric 98% is nasty stuff. And I have used it before and if it gets on you you will regret it forever. It will burn a hole right thru you. The lower grades might be ok but I have never used those.

Rim

Millions of sulfuric acid uses BUT it's one nasty son of a gun-add water to it and watch out as exotherm is in your future. Acid into water. Hydrofloric eats quartz like a fat lady at a buffet but don't touch your gold. Flourasulfonic(sp? senior moment) is the absolute worse nasty acid I've ever had to deal with in a extremely protective lab enviroment. Comes in 4X packed glass ampules and you break them to dispense with special tools. Does a fantastic job of eating quartz and about 90% of everything else on this planet too though. So many acids so little time-be careful out ther ya'all-John

So, from all the responces I take it that there aren't any acids that will disolve Gold.

The only things I know of is the use of Cyanide and Clorine in leaching to break the Gold down in solution.

So, from all the responces I take it that there aren't any acids that will disolve Gold.

The only things I know of is the use of Cyanide and Clorine in leaching to break the Gold down in solution.

Dissolving gold

Aqua regia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_regia

BAD STUFF , NOTHING TO FOOL WITH IN LAYMANS HANDS.

Aqua Regia A.K.A. Nitro-hydrochloric acid will dissolve gold, you get Aqua Regia by combining Nitric and Hydrochloric acids in a 1 to 3 volume.

I see that Frank beat me to the punch and I also agree that it should be use with caution!!

• 2 weeks later...