Nugget Shooter Forums

Quad ride with daughter

Nugget Shooter

Well my Daughter Mikayla was bummed I couldn't make the meteorite outing so she offered to make a picnic lunch and go for a quad ride with dad, how cool is that? So I have to go in to work for a couple hours after a ride out to Little San Domingo to do some exploring. Will be a great day!

Bill how long since that mill has been operational.....and your daughter somehow I thought she was a

little girl not a woman.....must have been fun riding 30 miles.....what did she pack you for lunch? Did'

that trunk on the back have any ice and beer in it?....

Thanks for the pics....

Thanks guys she is 14 and PB&J sandwiches for lunch with poweraid to drink, no beer Don....

The Anderson Mill was run by two brothers. At the start of World War II all of the mines and mills that were not essential to the war effort were ordered closed. Anderson Mill and the mines supplying it were allowed to continue.

The mill was for obtaining muscovite mica. As part of the mining of the granite pegmatites other minerals were at times selectively hand cobbed and shipped. The mica produced was used as electrical and heat insulation as well as in joint compound and paint.

The mill was last operated in 1951 and it was on BLM’s list for destruction, but folks round here had a fit and though the BLM did indeed remove quite a bit they were stopped and the mill remains today happily.

You can find Anderson Mill at 33° 57.508′ N – 112° 33.551′ W. It’s on San Domingo Wash which is also used as a road when dry.

Bill,

Nice pics!

Why do you think the mill was put on a hillside? I don't know much about this but was there a mine there also?

Also, what building is behind the picture of your daughter?

Rim

What a grand day for sure. Bill your pics are great, what kind of camera do you use?

Hi Steve, the photos are from my Droid Phone it takes very good pics and it was a great morning for sure, but had to help remove a mobile home from our park in the afternoon.

Bill,

Nice pics!

Why do you think the mill was put on a hillside? I don't know much about this but was there a mine there also?

Also, what building is behind the picture of your daughter?

Rim

Hi Rim

those are buildings on and around my property in Morristown after we got home. You would get a kick out of the old miners shacks and homes I own here and we call it the land time forgot....

There are several mines around the mill and likely put there because there is easy water in the wash below all year if you sink a well.

Sounds like that area around the mill might have potential for mineral specimens. Thinking of beryl and some others.

Steve

I have always been told the mines in the area were both for mica and beryl Steve though I have not found any specimens yet. Lots of mica around though in the numerous pegmatite dikes in the area.

Bill, I remember seeing a couple big beryls (aquamarine) from one of the pegmatites in the Dept. of Mines & Mineral Museum. They were big , but kind of ugly....Cool regardless.

Steve , I think some of the pegmatites in the white Picacho District are lithium bearing ,and there is probably some Spodumene present . It would be fun to rockhound some of the tailings (if present). Maybe I will check it out sometime.

I was told someone found a huge beryl crystal in the LSD area about 15-20 years ago and sold it for around $50,000. It was ugly as Adam described them but quite large. Of course this is is all hearsay and I never actually saw it but I do know beryl crystals can get pretty big sooooooo.....

Steve

answer to why on hill?? Because most miners in the day were not on the level Ta da---sorry I couldn't leave that opening. Miners liked to build on hills to be as close to source as possible and economics of having gravity move your worthless host rock outta your way really helped cut costs for awhile till they got going or ores petered out. In many mines the viability was killed just trying to move junk to get at the treasure,whatever it may be.With Bill as the owner of them cool cabins I feel that history is in safe coveting hands and that's righteous.. tons a au 2 u 2 -John.. :D wooohoooo emoticons back and underlining gone happy day!!!

Some folks who don't know better call it a mine, and still others have described it as a Rule Goldberg something or other.

Either way, pics could never do this place justice. it is a study in using what you have and American ingenuity.

Even though I know it wasn't a gold mill, I always forget and call it a molybdenum mill for some dumb reason.

The miner's camp Bill has certainly is the place that time forgot. Very cool spot.

Thanks for sharing, Bill. Looks like you and the young'n had a hell of a time exploring.