Nugget Shooter Forums

Pinpointers?

Fergus

Can you fellas educate me on pin pointers? I don't know much about them. I have been looking at the falcon md20.

Is this worth having or is it another shiny thing for prospectors to buy in the quest for other shiny stuff. Is there a better alternative out there? Help me out. Thanks

Can you fellas educate me on pin pointers? I don't know much about them. I have been looking at the falcon md20.

Is this worth having or is it another shiny thing for prospectors to buy in the quest for other shiny stuff. Is there a better alternative out there? Help me out. Thanks

I have a Falcon MD-10 but I don't use it as a pinpointer, but I do use it as a micro and larger gold detector for possible gold in rocks/quartz, it will hit in very small gold.

That being said it will only detect at about 1" to 1 1/2" and no more even on large gold.

If you are wanting a pinpointer get a pinpointer, but if you find a lot of possible gold bearing rock or quartz it will work well if the gold is with-in the detection range of the Falcon, the Md-20 it the latest model but it will not do much better in range than the MD-10.

If I were going to buy a new pinpointer I would defintely check out the new Minelab pinpointer as my first choice from what I've read and seen.

Skip

I also have an MD 20 and use it almost every time I'm out. I've identified many pieces of gold buried inside a rock. I use a PI- Detector Pro pistol probe pinpointer and it works great with the Minelab 5000.I haven't tried the new Minelab. Dave

In 51 years a swingn' I've never owned or sold a single one. Tried,used and disguarded them all as I just tell folks to learn how to pinpoint and quit looking for fast and ez and just LEARN the tool your swingn'. Just not my thang-John

Well, it's not really a pinpointer, but many years ago, I bought a 1" coil (probe) for my Minelab PI. Bought it from Doc.Played w/ it and found to be too much trouble. Has a 6' straight cord and is hand held. Now if you are using a large coil (20"+ round), it does come in handy (cuts down the size of hole you're digging). If you see me out in the field w/ my Nuggetfinder 20" Round, the 1" probe will probably be in my back pocket or quads near by.

Shep

so i have a Garrett ProPointer. Is that able to detect nuggets? i havent used it, but i wont even bother with it if it doesnt have that feature

sorry havent used it for nugget shooting (though i dont have much experience with shooting with my detector either....)

Well, it's not really a pinpointer, but many years ago, I bought a 1" coil (probe) for my Minelab PI. Bought it from Doc.Played w/ it and found to be too much trouble. Has a 6' straight cord and is hand held. Now if you are using a large coil (20"+ round), it does come in handy (cuts down the size of hole you're digging). If you see me out in the field w/ my Nuggetfinder 20" Round, the 1" probe will probably be in my back pocket or quads near by.

Shep

I did the same thing and pinpointers are great for coin relic hunting, but for nuggets not so much....

so i have a Garrett ProPointer. Is that able to detect nuggets? i havent used it, but i wont even bother with it if it doesnt have that feature

I bought a Garrett ProPointer from Bill. It works great. Bill got it to me quickly. I had some nuggets around here for a short period of time and I check it with them and it worked fine. I mainly use it to help locate what I've beeped, and it certainly saves a bunch of time rooting around. I like it! Made in America too! Imagine that! An added feature I did not know about... I filled in the warranty card and mailed it in. Last week I received a small news letter from Garret in the mail! It is all about sharing finds! Enjoy reading it, so that was a plus.

You can see all kinds of tests from various pointers on YouTube and many of them are a joy to watch!

I tested it on some meteorites as well. It worked on some and did not work on others!

Jim - Made in America

I have the Garrett pin pointer and the Pistol Probe, We use them all the time. Someone who wouldn't use them hasn't had any experience's with them. I plan on getting the Minelab pin pointer too, soon. Last week I had 2 pans of black sand and gold setting out to dry in the sun. My wife came along and knocked them over while hangiing out some sheets. She spent some time on the ground with the pinpointers scraping up my GOLD!! :)

I agree with Skip.....I use a DD much of the time and when it comes time to pinpoint I just switch it to mono and use the

left edge of the coil.....

But when I'm using the Coiltek 19" DD and the NF 25" mono then I carry a Coiltek 3" coil/pin pointer mono with a 20"

handle....it's a little awkward to carry but I've rigged up a clip system behind me that works pretty good....after about

one foot down the hole has to get much bigger if you don't have some kind of pinpointer.....

I always laugh out loud when someone tells somebody they don't need a PP,,,,, just learn your machine,,,,, it's not about how well your MD pinpoints,,,, it's about finding something YOU CAN'T SEE. My MD PP's just fine and I know how to use it,,,,, but when there is something in the hole that is dirt colored, or so small my old eye's can't see it the PP is the answer. Saves time for more hunting. I like the GARRET propointer better than the ML because the vibration is stronger. Can't say how it does on small nuggets though, I will just say this,,,,,, I don't like MDing without a PP, absolutely essential IMHO

• 1 year later...

So which one is the best to buy, if your in the market. There are tons of them out there,but I want a decent one. Mine took a crxx a while back, so it itime for a new one. Maybe someone can put up a survey for us. See which one is preferred

I use a 80 year old 240lbs pinpointer!
I find em....put piece of paper on the spot...move on and let

my trusty pin pointer dig em up :)
You guys aught to get one....thier handy :)
Tom H.

I have said it before...I never used a PP until I hacked into a large nugg.....never again will I take that risk again. From that day on I am a believer in PP for many reasons. First when your using a large coil..such as a 20" NF and your diggin that large hole....there is no better way to surgically remove a target than using a PP and a small diggin tool. It saves time by directing the search to a given area of the hole where the target is. I like the Garret Pro Pointer...and the Whites TRX....when I get close to the target with my large coil, I get out my PP and locate the target.

I have a Minelab Pinpointer and it freaks out my 5000 when I turn it on. It is also not something my 3030 likes. One or the other has to be off.

Mitchel

Yes you do have to reach out and place your MD about 4-5 feet away...but that's easy...its part of the job of nugget-hunting...just buy one and you will learn to appreciate it.If not, post it on the forum and someone will buy it.....as long as its a Garret , Whites TRX or Minelab.

Edited by Relichunter2

Just my two cents, when you are having a hard time locating a large target because of the detector overload switch to cancel and use the edge of the coil. This works when using a mono coil. No need for a PP.

AJ

Come on guys ... for under $200 you can have a great tool that saves time. When I am using the NF in a trashy area I circle the hole with a handheld, dig the target so I can move on to the next target. Even with my 3030 telling me that some targets are 8 inches deep the pointer will put me in the right part of a hole that is in deep, hard ground.

How many of you can get that big square nail in the middle of your hole the first try?

I couldn't get my big nugget quickly with two detectors (they were too sensitive) without the pointer help.

Just make sure you get a keeper on the pointer because I have lost a couple and yes, the Garrett is louder and stronger on response than the other two I have.

Mitchel