Nugget Shooter Forums

could this be Blue sapphire

The rock is full of pyrite as well . I looked on google and I do see they mine blue sapphire way north of me in Rock . They use diamon bladed chain saws to cut slabs of rock and the sapphire is in the rock .

Being full of Pyrites it may be something as simple as Copper Sulfates.

Touch it to your tongue and see if you die! LOL

No it will taste the most god offal Bitter you have ever tasted.

https://www.google.c...6oCoDA&tbm=isch

If you want to kill trees and stuff it works most well.

It's sold as a Root cure for septic tanks and Lines.

Don’t know how it got to Michigan but it is Lazulite. I would say it came from Graves Mountain, Georgia. If you collected it then perhaps someone dump some of their unwanted rocks. I have run across many rock piles where someone had dumped their excess rock. I have also left a lot of rock piles in the desert.

I think your right on it being lazulite . I see it is found Michigan gavel pits but it's rare . My customer found it in a gravel pit to the north of us . He's the one that has the rock saw . I went to his house after they called about having a Raccoon probem . I'm pesky critter removal . The guy was down in his basement cutting rocks . He goes I like Rocks . And looking for me to just roll my eyes . Instead I go I have a Rock probem to . I started pull all these rocks I had just found from my truck from my daily travels and showing them off and ended up giving most of them to him and in return he gave me a few at my last visit .

Good guy to know to because he has one great setup for working on Rocks I tell you

I have also left a lot of rock piles in the desert.

Me too Haderly....One time I even went back to one of my piles out by a gun range to see if I threw anything good away....Usually you find other piles in known rockhound areas near campsites and what not. Sometimes you can find good stuff in piles others left behind... :brows:

I'm not all that great on identifying everything. Some of these pictures of specimens that people posted have me stumped.

I think you do very well indentifying minerals. :yesss: I am not a mineral person but if it is a rock used in lapidary I am a bit obsessive compulsive…so my wife says. :smack: I have a friend that knows his rocks and minerals to a level of being a little scary. If you ask him a questions you better be ready to sit down for awhile because you are going to get a lesson. :old::pop:

Me too Haderly....One time I even went back to one of my piles out by a gun range to see if I threw anything good away....Usually you find other piles in known rockhound areas near campsites and what not. Sometimes you can find good stuff in piles others left behind... :brows:

A couple years ago I found a piece of petrified wood just below Copperopolis. It looks identical to the Holbrook wood but surprisingly was fracture free. Miners by nature are rockhounds so perhaps it made it there during the time when Copperopolis was active.

I also found a nice pile of rocks out by the mushroom rhyolite area south of Aguila. I got a couple good chucks of California jasper and green tree agate from India.

[quote :2mo5pow: name='Haderly' timestamp='1349286304' post='188128]

I think you do very well indentifying minerals. :yesss: I am not a mineral person but if it is a rock used in lapidary I am a bit obsessive compulsive…so my wife says. :smack: I have a friend that knows his rocks and minerals to a level of being a little scary. If you ask him a questions you better be ready to sit down for awhile because you are going to get a lesson. :old::pop:

Casey- You're right about that... I originally got started in this hobby when I was a little kid through an uncle of mine who was a geologist for the USGS. I always went through his mineral collection when I saw him and when he moved, he gave it to me.. It wasn't until maybe ten years ago that I developed an interest in lapidary materials. Still a lot to learn but will never reach the "scary friend" level.. :cry2:

Also liked petrified wood and had quite a collection at one time including some bookends. But those are all gone as is my mineral collection. :2mo5pow:

Bill, some of these new emoticons are really neat. :woot:

Steve

My customer must hunting them yuppy seeded rock spots around the country . Green tree agate is what he gave me looks like I didn't come from Georgia but India

My interests are in glacier deposited ores around . At first gold and silver . After finding this very large rock filled with nicle I'm looking for that as well . I do hold onto any other cool looking rocks like that layered green and red jasper I posted last summer .

<p>Here's some jasper I found and its green but feels different . How about this other rock any ideas . Its a big Rock and is on the beach still because I can't lift it nor could 3 of us move it

post-26297-0-82578100-1349471301_thumb.j

post-26297-0-05020400-1349471391_thumb.j

post-26297-0-82715800-1349471463_thumb.j

post-26297-0-29082100-1349471526_thumb.j

The texture of jasper can vary a lot. The fine grain jaspers “porcelain” has a very smooth glass like feel. You also have a lot of rocks that in the lapidary trade go by the name Jasper but are not jasper. One example is Mary Ellen Jasper comes from an iron mine in Minnesota and is petrified algae.

Your second rock looks to be a conglomeration of a lot of other rocks that have been silicated together. If the individual pieces are rounded then it would be a conglomerate sedimentary rock. They are also called pudding stones since they are comprised of a lot of different types of individual rocks. Brecciated rocks are very similar but usually consist of the same type of rock that have been broken up due to seismic activity and cemented(silicated) back together.

Well thanks for the info . Wish I had a pic of this other rock that's out in 4 foot of water just off that last Rock . It's a monster green rock about the size of my truck hood . It's not a solid green as you can see into it . It has this shiny mica looking flake right threw the Rock . At first I thought it was mica but took a few samples off it and now think its a gaint peace of niclkle ore or something . Really not sure . I tried to melt the metal down and it took alot more heat to melt down that shinny flake than gold does. I used mapp gas and by adding charcoal or carpon it finally did melt but turn it to this shinny glass . Wrong gas maybe or was it the carbon i added i just dont know ?This green boulder had a 2" wide white quartz vein running right threw it and the edges of the vein have turned black , my guess silver sulfate .

Just off that Rock there's a gaint white quarts Rock that's all jagged and not smooth like the other rocks around and it has turned black as well . I scraped of some of the black and can see pyrite . Thinking this rock might have some of that micro gold I find maybe .

Never run out of new Rocks to hunt in this area . I would really like to find one of them gaint copper nuggets people are finding . Need to get a under water metal detector that's forsure . Need to mount a lift of some kind on my big boat to . Need some kinda jack hammer to so I can make some of these rocks a little smaller . The deeper the water I go the bigger the rocks get . need a testing system for these metal ores . Need a smelter . I did get me a nice Rock crusher . I really do Injoy myself out there and my Kids just love it to . A lot of fun going on are adventures and hunting treasure . Sure it's rocks and most people don't understand us but that's a good because we have it all to are selfs and it's untouched area . There has been glaciers come in from every which way so it's hard to say what we might find