Nugget Shooter Forums

Very hard rock or mineral - has me stumped.

I hope I have enough information (not just a picture) for speculation on what it could be . . .

It is very hard. I ran through 7 days of a vibrating polisher course grind grit with agate, etc - polished the agates and barely touched this stone. I attempted to grind it with an old lapidary wheel I have, in five minutes it ground one little spot (pic 00_stone3.jpg shows the spot) and a steel file won't scratch it. It will scratch quartz and agate - neither of those will scratch it.

I found it in snorkeling in Lake Superior near Grand Marais approximately 8 miles from Agate Beach.

If I had to describe the color I would say ox blood red.

Weighs 120g and displaced approximately 50ml water (I was using a large measuring cup so not extremely accurate). I come up with a density of approximately 2.4 (am I doing that right??).

Here is a picture of the stone:

00_stone1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I had considered granite initially MOHS 7 - but then when it wouldn't polish when agate and quartz did I thought it couldn't be granite. It will round a sharp quartz point in a single swipe.

I am new to hard stone. Is there some reason granite in particular won't polish with items of the same hardness??

I picked this stone up because it was rough and every other stone I was looking at was worn smooth by Lake Superior.

Thanks. I'm here to learn.

Interesting rock and very hard to tell exactly from your photo, can you cut the end off? When you say it will not take a polish is it because the surface stays rough or chips away? Usually when a stone will not polish in the tumbler like you say it is either too soft or fragile.