Nugget Shooter Forums

Black Sands? The Question...

JordanD

We all have the same question. How does one deal with black sands?? I went dredging with my buddy Ryan not too long ago and pulled up a bunch of gold, but much, much more black sand. Utah is known for very fine gold and as most are totally aware, that gets suspended in the sands. So the question is how in the world does one get it out the most effectively without having to spent a whole ton of money on equipment? are there any trade secrets that one is willing to share? Thanks!

Jordan D

Going the cheapest route - a gold pan... Don't try to overload the pan with black sand and gold cons. And get proficient with tapping the pan to walk the gold away from the black sand

so the only problem i am having with a pan though is that no matter how many times I do the tap method, I am still getting a little bit of gold out. it doesn't seem that i can get all of it out. is that a normal thing as i have heard of some who have run their material and cannot find a trace of gold left in the black sands. even the fine powder stuff that i am getting. Of course they are not sharing the technique they use though... :cry2:

This is suppose to works good.

Rim

hmm thats a good ideal. I will have to build something similar to that. i have an idea of what i can do from another video...ill post a video once i get it up and going

Jordan,

Here's video made by a friend of mine that shows the "tap method" to get the gold to "walk" out of the blacksands, he does of course have a goodly amount of gold in this demo, but it's has been very helpful to a lot of people in the last 4 years since he made the video.

The tap method does take some practice to get it to work well.

Skip

Jordan,

I also use a "finishing pan" when I get down to the fine blacksands along with proper classification you will be able to get even the finest gold separated from blacksands.

The finishing pan I'm referring too is not just a small pan as in the above video, but instead a special pan that has micro-groves in it almost like a vinyl record, one such pan is the Falcon finishing pan, you would use it much like any other pan along with the tap method with the exception that it's mostly for fine/micro gold and the material has to be classified close to the size of the fine gold being panned out, which sounds like just what you need.

With this pan you can after some practice pan out 300 to 400 mesh with no problem (which you will not be able to see unless you have a lot of gold that size), I have used it to pan out micron gold from cons that friend sent me when he went to Nome, it almost impossible to get that micron gold out of the garnet and black sands of Nome with any other pan.

Here's a link to the Falcon website, you may also be able to find one at a good local prospecting supply store.

http://www.falconmet...s.com/id12.html

Skip

Jordan,

Here's video made by a friend of mine that shows the "tap method" to get the gold to "walk" out of the blacksands, he does of course have a goodly amount of gold in this demo, but it's has been very helpful to a lot of people in the last 4 years since he made the video.

The tap method does take some practice to get it to work well.

Skip

hey skip i have seen this video and i did have a question on that video. When he taps the pan, is that on the bottom of the pan where all the material is? or is it on the top rim? i use the top rim, but i cant seem to get the results as on this video. Dont get me wrong it has helped, i just think im doing it wrong ha. let me know if you could! thanks again!

Jordan,

I also use a "finishing pan" when I get down to the fine blacksands along with proper classification you will be able to get even the finest gold separated from blacksands.

The finishing pan I'm referring too is not just a small pan as in the above video, but instead a special pan that has micro-groves in it almost like a vinyl record, one such pan is the Falcon finishing pan, you would use it much like any other pan along with the tap method with the exception that it's mostly for fine/micro gold and the material has to be classified close to the size of the fine gold being panned out, which sounds like just what you need.

With this pan you can after some practice pan out 300 to 400 mesh with no problem (which you will not be able to see unless you have a lot of gold that size), I have used it to pan out micron gold from cons that friend sent me when he went to Nome, it almost impossible to get that micron gold out of the garnet and black sands of Nome with any other pan.

Here's a link to the Falcon website, you may also be able to find one at a good local prospecting supply store.

http://www.falconmet...s.com/id12.html

Skip

I have never seen a pan like that. Ill need to look at getting one for sure! im really down to try anything at this point! so the tap method listed in the last post would be best with this type of pan?

Top of the pan for the tapping, but it's more of a stiff/sharp rap than just a light tapping.

The tap method works with all pans.

Here's a couple more tricks to get that last little bit of blacksands away from the gold.

This little trick I have used and it works but it takes some practice, it's called the "Swivel" thought up by an oldtimer by the name of Poprivet, it may take a little time for the video to load if you have a slow connection, I can't embed it via the site it's on .

http://golddredgervi...uest/poppan.wmv

Here's new technique that I haven't seen before until a few mouths ago and as of yet I haven't tried it, but it looks simple enough, the "Blueberry bump" referred to in this video is the "tap" method.

Top of the pan for the tapping, but it's more of a stiff/sharp rap than just a light tapping.

The tap method works with all pans.

Here's a couple more tricks to get that last little bit of blacksands away from the gold.

This little trick I have used and it works but it takes some practice, it's called the "Swivel" thought up by an oldtimer by the name of Poprivet, it may take a little time for the video to load if you have a slow connection, I can't embed it via the site it's on .

http://golddredgervi...uest/poppan.wmv

Here's new technique that I haven't seen before until a few mouths ago and as of yet I haven't tried it, but it looks simple enough, the "Blueberry bump" referred to in this video is the "tap" method.

now those are some techniques i have never seen there! that seems very helpful! ill give it all a shot and see what i come up with!

The famous blue bowl will certainly do the trick and is 1000% easier and faster than a pan. After 30 years of dredge clean-ups I find this to be the best at getting fine gold out of black sands.

So with the blue bowl, i hear it is a little difficult to get it actually going to the right speed. is it difficult to set up and run? also how fine of gold can the bowel get down to? the stuff i have is extremely fine like powderish. would this be a good route to take with fine gold like that? or better for some that is bigger and then work with some of these other techniques for the fine stuff?

JD ... that blue bowl works great down in the 150 -200 mesh and smaller if you need to get that fine. You can determine water speed necessary for efficient black sand removal leaving just gold in the blue bowl in the first spoon of wet concentrates. It really is not difficult or very timeconsuming. And you can run all your concentrates 10-12X faster than panning IMHO.

Mike F

JD ... that blue bowl works great down in the 150 -200 mesh and smaller if you need to get that fine. You can determine water speed necessary for efficient black sand removal leaving just gold in the blue bowl in the first spoon of wet concentrates. It really is not difficult or very timeconsuming. And you can run all your concentrates 10-12X faster than panning IMHO.

Mike F

it can get smaller than 200 mesh?? thats pretty good. i am not super familiar with sizing, but i think i may have gold that size though i am not quite sure. so how would you feed it once you determine a speed (speed doesnt sound too difficult now that you explain how to get it going)? is there a spot to best feed it? or just plop it in there around the bowl? and what does a normal kit cost to get one up and running?

Magnets make black sand and gold oreos and you lose gold. Good ol' D.A.M. industries bowl been around over 30 years now and still my favorite-add a second control vale at least 6" away from inflow,run cons wet,up against the opposing side straight across from induction,run full to the brim or at LEAST till you see the flushing vortex just like your home toilet and good to go with 100 minus and beyond-John

You can find them on Ebay for about $125 if you like shopping there or go to a dealer where you should be able to get the bowl, pump and leg leveler kit for about $140 or less. You supply a 5 gallon bucket of cement mixing tub for the water recirculation. I prefer to deal with a dealer rather than ebay ... the dealer can help if a problem results ... ebay not so much! Just my humble opinion.

Mike F

You can find them on Ebay for about $125 if you like shopping there or go to a dealer where you should be able to get the bowl, pump and leg leveler kit for about $140 or less. You supply a 5 gallon bucket of cement mixing tub for the water recirculation. I prefer to deal with a dealer rather than ebay ... the dealer can help if a problem results ... ebay not so much! Just my humble opinion.

Mike F

In person, face to face is always better than dealing with ebay.

All the same, some times you can get REAL bargain prices on some things, on ebay.

Local craigslist is great though.

Mike F

I will agree with that statement as well as the one that follows! I bought my metal detector from a local dealer instead of online as when areas come up i have a connection, as well as if i questions on it. whenever i order ebay or amazon i consider myself lucky if i can even find the link to get ahold of the manufacturer. I then i drive to idaho to buy a lottery ticket when they contact me as that seems like the luck of the draw. so local is probably the best option when looking into the bowl. i figure that is the best option, though all of these techniques will get me far without the bowl! ill keep an eye on ebay as well as talk with some distributors on that to find some prices. now could you use an electronic pump with it? or does it need to be hooked up to a home water supply?

Here's an option...

If it's too expensive you could always make one.

now this is something i have never seen before. thats a very interesting idea! where would i go to find information on this? the build looks pretty simple so i think i would be able to build on no problem. now my question is how much material is still getting caught in the tray when the magnetite is being collected? any issues with that if anyone has used this item?

Bluebowl faster than a good finish panner? Not even close. Panning just takes practice but once you get good at it you can clean your gold faster than pretty much any small scale device out there like gold wheels or bowls or whatever and you can do it on the river bank when you take a break from diving and aren't doing anything else anyways.

Just classify, then pan in cuts and use the backwash & tap method, cheap and quick and save yourself from buying another piece of expensive equipment that you'll eventually grow out of.

I have tried the backwash and tap method last night and it will take some practice to get used to for sure! but it worked like a champ, though i do have a whole load of black sand that needs to be processed. so if i was to stick with the backwash and tap method, what would be a good way of concentrating the gold into something a bit more handleable? thats my next biggest concern is the amount that i have and not enough time (seems to be the problem with most folk these days :th: )