Nugget Shooter Forums

I'm not sure on fossil thingie's...

But read this link, and to me, just be sure where you find fossil thingie's at and NO tusk please!

http://newsminer.com/view/full_story/20308591/article-Alaska-guide-fined-for-smuggled-mammoth-tusk-?instance=home_news_window_left_bullets

Rim

Home,

None that I know of but these tusk were found on government lands...just saying be careful in what you find and keep.

Rim

I have a piece of fossilized tusk from here in AZ but can't remember anything else about it.... I can't seem to remember where anything was collected from. dang it !!!

Hey Ore,

As long as you didn't have a guide to take you where the fossil tusk was I wouldn't worry about it...lol!

Rim

PS-Be sure and read the comment's below the article...seem's like many peep's are sick at the way gov handles things. Sad thing is where ever those tusk end up at, the people that found them will probably get no credit for finding them. sad, sad, sad...And who paid for the court cost on behalf of the government?

Bill,

Do you think that was a mis-print when they said "private property" talking about all the different types of land the laws applied too? I could be wrong, but I don't think that's true.

Rim

Bill,

Do you think that was a mis-print when they said "private property" talking about all the different types of land the laws applied too? I could be wrong, but I don't think that's true.

Rim

I couldn't find any rules or regulations for private property at this site, so they may have misspoken about the private property.

http://www.alaskacenters.gov/fossil-collecting.cfm

I couldn't find any rules or regulations for private property at this site, so they may have misspoken about the private property.

http://www.alaskacen...-collecting.cfm

The day there is Rules on Private Property we are No Longer America The Great but America the Conquered.

LOL That's like you fall behind on child support so they take your drivers Licence so you can't get to work.

OK, let's see how this flies...but i'm with the kid...put it back...haha!

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/35714/texas+angler+goes+fishing+ends+up+discovering+possible+mastodon+tooth/

Rim

This comment is good:

Invictus

|September 29, 2012

Factually, it was the BLM that got something for nothing. The fossil hunters did all the work and paid the price. The BLM simply took the goods and their money. I can't imagine any good citizen thinking this is a righteous thing.

So is this one...

doubledumb

|

September 29, 2012

Goverment makes $130,000 profit from extinct Mammoth tusk that would have just rotted away in a few years since it had come out of the permafrost. The two who were convicted should have gotten a reward for finding the tusk before it rotted away. But we need some excuse for USFW, "rangers", BLM agents, troopers, etc. to justify their job titles worth. Maybe the UAF would have found it in the next 10,000 years...as ivory dust.

Not to mention the guide was an X National Park Service ranger which was mentioned in the original report. You would think she would have known the laws. But maybe not.

Rim

Not to mention the guide was an X National Park Service ranger which was mentioned in the original report. You would think she would have known the laws. But maybe not.

Rim

I'm sure she did, but once a Forest Ranger always a Forest Ranger I guess, at least in their own minds and I sometimes think that Forest Rangers don't think that any laws apply to them, only us little people!! :idunno:

AU,

The more I think about this, the more fishey it sounds to me. Recorded conversation for one. Did the forest service request her to get the recording of the guy acknowledging he had the tusk in whatever state he lived in. If so, how did the forest service know he even had the tusk? Who squealed? Seems too weird to me.

Rim

AU,

The more I think about this, the more fishey it sounds to me. Recorded conversation for one. Did the forest service request her to get the recording of the guy acknowledging he had the tusk in whatever state he lived in. If so, how did the forest service know he even had the tusk? Who squealed? Seems too weird to me.

Rim

I guess she told them who he was since she did post a photo of him holding the tusk on her website, and that picture that she put up on her website is what got her busted, I guess "stupid is stupid does" was her downfall!!!

Quote:

" The Bureau of Land Management began investigating Jettmar in 2008 because evidence of illegal fossil collecting was found on her website in the form of a picture of a frequent customer holding a mammoth tusk worth $4,000 taken from the Kokolik River in Northwest Alaska in 2007, according to the signed plea agreement."