Nugget Shooter Forums
Fergus

Compare Detectors

Evening fellas,

I have a tesoro lobo and a whites GMT, I like the Gmt because of the visual readout. I think it is helping me to develop an ear for beeping. I have been told a few times that the lobo will find gold that the whites won't. If I knew half of what some of the guys here have forgotten, I wouldn't be here askin dumb questions. I appreciate your input.

Thanks, Shawn

Lobo, has it hands down. Grubstake

Are you talkn' Super Traq Lobo or old school straight Lobo?? Big difference in the 2 and I will never sell my TLST but older Lobo long gone-John

I think the Tst has the edge for ease-of-use and is an efficient multi-purpose machine...but I think any gmt will find smaller gold...still "best" is left to personal preference...rather than trying to make an opinion a fact.

fred

I've owned and used both extensively ... GMT finds smaller and deeper and is very good as a coin and relic machine too!!! ... Cheers, Unc

I have owned both also still have my Tesoro got rid of the gmt . The lobo is way better for coin hunting imo than the gmt and also for some reason I can't stand the sound of whites . Lol you can call in quail with the lobo so that's another reason it's better. Although I will say the gmt will find smaller gold but not at very good depths.

I have also used both, I am leaning towards the Lobo for a few reasons. First I love Lobos stability and ground tracking. I also like the fact that the Lobo has iron disc. mode. The gmt may have the LCD display for iron probablility and i.d. , but I would at times prefer to just disc. all the iron out, and the Lobo does that very well. The Lobo is better suited for coin, and relic hunting and the threshold its very stable compared to the gmt. If I only had a great P.I. like a Minelab 4500 Hi Grubstake !! :) I would have it all covered. With Tesoros lifetime warranty and ease of use, its a winner all around.

Thanks for the input, looks like the lobo is leading the pack. Grubstake, Terry and Hoser...enlighten me please. and mine is a supertraq. again guys thanks for helpin out.

As a coin hunter, certainly the LST outclasses the GMT. The GMT was NOT designed for coin hunting. But as for nugget shooting, with BOTH machines OPTIMALLY TUNED, the GMT will outclass the LST in terms of SMALLER gold, and DEEPER gold. Case in point: some of you may have known the late Richard Delahanty, who used the Forum name of RD in Indio. He was one of the foremost experts in the use of the LST. He found a patch which produced nearly 1,000 nuggets, total weight 3 pounds (yeah, three pounds) over several trips. When he and his LST had totally worked out thte site, he invited me there. Hunting side by side for 7.5 hours, the idea was that whenever one of us got a signal, he would call the other over, to see if the other guy's machine was capable of sensing it. My Goldmaster nailed 83 pieces, none of which RD's LST could sense. Then, he got a pretty good hit, passing "Goldie" over the target site my signal was much louder, and, off to the side, was another hit, which the LST couldn't sense. RD, a great guy, but who was a bit peeved by this time, said "Jim, your machine is just after-ringing...." Well, we dug the first signal, which was AU, So was the "after-ringing" signal. Total nugget count for the day: Goldmaster 85, LST 1. RD later upgraded from the LST to the GMT. For the recorrd, the GMT's preset settings are FAR from optimal, which may be why some don't have such a high opinion of the GMT's performance. I have prepared a brochure on how to optimally tune the GMT, which I will be happy to give to those of you reading this post who drop by my booth at Mesa. HH Jim

• Like 1

Since ya got the TLST your enlightened already!!! Not knocking the ol'manual Lobo but, for me at least, much more stable. Do ya have the small coil?? Even better. Get up,get out and use it as all mding is great experience with all units. Like learning a new woman,must lay the hands on her,coax her all over the place,try different things and positions, and coveth her performances once learned,and accept all disappointments or get rid a her.....John

Jim what booth are you going to be at? Mike F

Round and Round.

Truth is finding gold is more about the operator.

Years ago a guy fretted about setting up for a band because his house equipment wasn't the lastest or greatest. The band showed up---tweaked the knobs, moved a few slide bars---and sounded like what the sounded like. After that I stopped buying better guitars---because the equipment wasn't why I wasn't a better player.

I still credit more gold to my LBST than my 4500. But that is because I have not figured her out yet.

BTW Mike---you still have your rig up for sell?

Here is MY OPINION. The Whites GMT, Fisher Goldbug, and the Tesoro Lobo, were designed by the same engineer - Dave Johnson. Out of the three, the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq is the simplest to use. The Fisher Goldbug II is the deepest, and the Whites, Tesoro and Fisher ALL find small gold. My two favorite - in order are, the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, then the Fisher Goldbug II.

I like the Lobo ST the best for a couple of reasons. It finds gold, and it can discriminate when I want to coinshoot.

I personally dont think you need a meter for a gold machine. Its all about the sound to me.Never understood why they added one and almost everybody I know who has the gmt has broken the meter loose from the stock ( getting snaged on manzanita ) but if it is anything like the GM2 , which is what I still use to this day, I would go with the Whites. Personal preference is all.

I like finding sub grain pieces and will do it all day long if I can. Just went detecting today at foresthill and that place has been hammered and came out with about 40 grains, including two 12 grainers.

I guess the Tesoro is a good machine though, I just dont see anybody using it is all.

Lobo St, had a akaline mode, for hard soil, and you can hunt gold in the coin mode if you run DISC. at about 1 1/2 or 2 and kick smaill nails and other metal out. Grubstake

and a Black sand mode, for very mineralised ground.

I agree with the visual readout box on the GMT snagging easy, I spend time in some thick stuff. I usually break rig down and packit in, but I still have to fight through alot of crap while beepin. Thanks for your input guys.

Alot of good info here, I like both the GMT and the TLST. But when I want something easy to run I go with my GB Pro DP.

As a coin hunter, certainly the LST outclasses the GMT. The GMT was NOT designed for coin hunting. But as for nugget shooting, with BOTH machines OPTIMALLY TUNED, the GMT will outclass the LST in terms of SMALLER gold, and DEEPER gold. Case in point: some of you may have known the late Richard Delahanty, who used the Forum name of RD in Indio. He was one of the foremost experts in the use of the LST. He found a patch which produced nearly 1,000 nuggets, total weight 3 pounds (yeah, three pounds) over several trips. When he and his LST had totally worked out thte site, he invited me there. Hunting side by side for 7.5 hours, the idea was that whenever one of us got a signal, he would call the other over, to see if the other guy's machine was capable of sensing it. My Goldmaster nailed 83 pieces, none of which RD's LST could sense. Then, he got a pretty good hit, passing "Goldie" over the target site my signal was much louder, and, off to the side, was another hit, which the LST couldn't sense. RD, a great guy, but who was a bit peeved by this time, said "Jim, your machine is just after-ringing...." Well, we dug the first signal, which was AU, So was the "after-ringing" signal. Total nugget count for the day: Goldmaster 85, LST 1. RD later upgraded from the LST to the GMT. For the recorrd, the GMT's preset settings are FAR from optimal, which may be why some don't have such a high opinion of the GMT's performance. I have prepared a brochure on how to optimally tune the GMT, which I will be happy to give to those of you reading this post who drop by my booth at Mesa. HH Jim

Jim any way I could get a look at your GMT set-up notes ???? can't make it to your booth,,,, will gladly pay shipping,,,, thanks,,,, Mike

Sorry for the delay in answering the above posts, Jeanie and I have been on the East Coast doing Gold Shows. Then we took a short vacation at our AL house. Those of you who want a free copy of my GMT advanced tuning settings pamphlet (which, for most areas, vastly outperforms the presets) can send me a self addressed, full size, stamped envelope to Jim's Metal Detectors, 56925 Yucca Trail, Box 503, Yucca Valley CA 92284. HH Jim

so Jim ... How was the fishing? Mike F

Mike, only got out one day, Lake Eufaula, fishing to 83 feet deep I got 5 channel cats weighing 2 to 4 pounds, then spent a lot of time chasing 'gators, a novel experience. for this native Californian desert rat. Didn't get to do any kayaking on Econfina Creek in FL, as hoped. Jeanie was tied up with our adoptive daughter's having her second child. Baby and mom are fine. The Mesa Show was poorly attended, as you well know, So we added St. Joseph MO to the Gold Show itinerary, For a small crowd (one third that of Mesa) we outdid Mesa big time, so much so that we didn't do the scheduled Spartanburg Show. HH Jim

Congrats to the mom and baby ... always great to hear both in good healthy condition. Yup ... the Mesa show was a bust ... not sure it was a good time for those in the desert to be thinking about prospecting ... still too hot at that time. Chasing gators looks like fun on the TV ... might like to try it sometime ... but then there aren't any in AZ, NH or ME ... the 3 states I spend the most time in. Learning more about the MXT all the time ... had a hard time settleing it down in Rich Hill area couple days ago but will keep working on it. Fun to experiement when you are used to the White's platform. That little white eliptical dd gold coil is pretty sensative. Haven't tried the 9" or is it 10" dd coil yet but took the concentric coil to the park last weekend and found a few coins with it.

Now if you know of someone who is primarily a treasure, beach and coin/jewelry hunter and they are looking for a DFX (late 1990's vintage) in good condition I would be willing to sell mine. That is just in case you don't have one in stock new and someone needs one right away. LOL

Mike F