Nugget Shooter Forums

A Few Relics from Vicksburg

boogfhu

Just a pic of some relics my cousins and I found a couple of weekends ago in Vicksburg and surrounding areas.

The Confederate Old English I was found on private property, with permission, adjoining the national military park.

Chris

post-21209-0-29399500-1348502964_thumb.j

I've always wanted to hunt a Civil War site also. You are lucky to have that opportunity, and great finds! Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Relics are what got me involved in metal detecting...Grant camped @ 30,000 men on or near my family's property in Claiborne County back in 1863...So I was fortunate to have access to camps where I could find a Minie Ball with no problem. It sure is fun to find something that was lost all those years ago, and to be able to hold a piece of history in your hand that most people will only get the chance to view behind glass in a museum, or read about in a history book.

Chris

Wow cool finds and I have always wanted to hunt a Civil War site, but......

http://www.discovers.../Civil_War.html

Further research might yield some areas. Certainly the civil war in the west wasn't large by any standards but I think a person could make some interesting finds... Someone I knew found a confederate button out west while detecting for gold so you never know...

Steve

Bill,

I'm getting a bit rusty on my question asking abilities...lol.

What I really meant to ask is why relic hunting on BLM and other state lands is not allowed. Is it just so they can hand fines out to the people who don't know the law?

I really never understood their reasoning. Maybe it's just so the different departments can generate revenue. To me, if they didn't want peeps to keep it, then they should at least put out drums to collect it rather then putting it back into the grounds.Maybe some of it could be donated to colleges for study and some could go to the scrap yard to generate revenue. Just a thought.

Rim

Roger that John...did I forget to mention that I was mugged while getting my stuff out of the car???? They took all of my relics, and told me to count backwards from 1000 and not turn around until I reached ZERO or they would blow my head off. I never got a look at them...

Nugget hunting is special because you are the first to see it come out of the ground. Relic hunting is special cause you ain't the first.

Whenever I relic hunted---especially if close to urbanites I would bring a bag of previous dug trash---anybody asked--- that's all I found.

Relics are what got me involved in metal detecting...Grant camped @ 30,000 men on or near my family's property in Claiborne County back in 1863...So I was fortunate to have access to camps where I could find a Minie Ball with no problem. It sure is fun to find something that was lost all those years ago, and to be able to hold a piece of history in your hand that most people will only get the chance to view behind glass in a museum, or read about in a history book.

Chris

My creed as always is-I don't know nuttn--ain't seen nuttn'-ain't found nuttn' and adios-John

Roger that John...did I forget to mention that I was mugged while getting my stuff out of the car???? They took all of my relics, and told me to count backwards from 1000 and not turn around until I reached ZERO or they would blow my head off. I never got a look at them...

Boo don't you have a CCW or whatever it's called in Alabama?....on the way to beep.....when I get there....when

I get out of the PU and while I'm beeping I always expect trouble like you had....me and my beeping partner Mr.

G. are always ready....

boogfhu,

In the early 1970s I was still in the USCG stationed at the US Customs House. I was fortunate to meet the US Marine in charge of the recuriting offices, he introduced me to relic hunting at Vicksburg ( and other places) and I introduced him to New Orleans bottle digging. OH the stuff we found! I was so dumb I didn't even know that they had hand grenades during our war with the yankees untill I found one fully loaded and primer in place! All my relics and pictures where destroyed in a recent home fire but we had some amazing finds. We hunted private property on the bluffs, prior arangements had to be made, I guess it was a big secret at the time and you cound only hunt between soybean crops.

In our New Orleans diggings we once dug an old cistern on the W bank of the river across from Chalmette that contained among other things a complete shell made of wood holding many lead balls that was supposed to spread out like a shotgun, a revolutionary war canteen that had the owners name and unit and dates served carved into the side, also a Confederate belt buckle and a US belt buckle, a 1840,s historical flask and hundreds of other bottles. It was the best dig we ever made in 5 years of digging in New Orleans.

The marine a Major at the time is now a retired Col. and one of the primier authors of books on the cival war, his name is Robert Driver and you can see his book listings on Amazon and various other places, he is on facebook and you can do a google search.

Max

PS: I can't help but wonder what one of those ground penatrating radars would find? I beleive I have read that the seige of Vicksburg was the longest of the war and more round where fired that any other seige or battle.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much history to explore and life provides soooooooooooooo little time to do it-thanx much for explaination as was REALLY bumbed you got robbed but was a joke??? --John-

Yeah John, that was the line that I would feed the authorities if they ever came for my relics. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I wasn't robbed.

Max, I have always wanted to do some bottle digging, but have never had the opportunity. We have dug out a couple of civil war trash pits that we found in camps. In the biggest one we found a nice spur and an 8 sided umbrella ink with the iron pontil mark. It was so much fun!!!

Max, the name of the shell that you found just came to me. It was called a canister, or grapeshot. If it was encased in wood then my bet is that it was confederate in manufacture. I would love to see pics, sorry for your loss!

boogfhu, We must be on the same wave link because it just popped into my mind too! You are correct it is canister shot, I tried to find a picture on the web but none of them are the same, the one we found had longintudal wood pieces holding the round wood disk in place and i beleive it had 9 shot, I am sure Bob still has it in his collecton which numbers in the 100,s of all kinds of shells,.

We drove to every drug store in New Orleans to buy all the "Water Glass" to preserve the shell and the canteen because they will start to shrink and deform as soon as they are removed from the water, they have to be soaked for months in " Sodium Silicate" = Water Glass".

We also located several cannons in various places around southern Louisina but they are all to heavy to move unless thay are close to crane acess.

Good Luck on your hunting!

Max