Nugget Shooter Forums

Footprint Maps???

Steel Pan

Here is a review I wrote back in 2010..

“FootPrints” Gold Prospecting & Map Making Software

By Terry Soloman TerrySoloman@aol.com

I was able to review three separate Footprints DVDs: The Little San Domingo FootPrint; Vulture West FootPrint; and the Black Canyon City FootPrint. I asked two professional Arizona gold prospectors – who have staked and currently own Arizona gold claims, to assist me in this review. I also invited a gold prospecting “Greenhorn” to give me his thoughts.

This is a detailed DVD that puts almost two-dozen important and meaningful tools into the hands of the individual prospector. For instance, the “Little San Domingo FootPrint,” is a 35-square-mile, high resolution “Orthos” map of one of the richest placer gold areas in Arizona. Ortho photography, or “Orthos”, is a type of high resolution aerial photography which has been digitally manipulated so that its dimensions represent true dimensions on the earth’s surface. All of these FootPrints DVDs, feature an incredible 9” resolution. When you consider the extreme cost of Orthos mapping, from $18,000 - $20,000 per 10-square mile block, this software would be a bargain if it just stopped there. But these software programs are much more than just a great map.

The Little San Domingo FootPrint, covers an area just 35-miles northwest of Phoenix, Arizona. This DVD shows the location and outline of all known gold claims in the district and, you can pull up actual copies of the claim documents and maps filed with the County and BLM. The claims are mapped to their actual boundaries, based on original county filings. You will not find this map layer anywhere else. It provides layers of mapping including land ownership; Private; Federal; State; Forest Service, township, range and section.

To the new and seasoned gold prospector alike, this is a powerful tool. It allows you, at a glance, to see areas that have already been claimed – and more importantly, land that has not been claimed. The software then allows you to move in for a very close look at that open land, and gives you more than a dozen more tools to help evaluate your possible new claim - without ever leaving your computer chair.

The two professional gold prospectors both commented on the dexterity of this software, and its ability to perform a number of difficult and complex jobs. One tool they were both drawn to immediately was the “Hydrology Tool.” Each FootPrint provides a data set showing streams, rivers, washes and drainage basins. Water flow and wetness map layers are also included to help visualize water movement.

This tool allows you to chart natural water flow and movement through the areas you are interested in, giving you hard clues to where placer gold may be located – and cutting down your testing time by showing you where to look before ever stepping foot on the claim. I watched as the two prospectors combined tools and map layers, then compared notes and tried even more combinations.

They used several tools, including the FootPrints “Geology” layer which indicates basic rock types and age. They also liked the shaded elevation maps, and USGS topo maps, which along with high resolution imagery, helped them to understand the terrain and how to get into it. As I watched these skilled gold miners work their new found tool, I wondered how my Greenhorn would fare.

One of the things I like the most about this software is its stability. It will run on just about any computer, old or new. One of the things I did not like, was the load time (2.5Gb), almost 14-minutes on my 2007 XP Dell Inspiron Notebook. A problem I quickly forgot about after opening the program.To test the GPS mapping tools included in FootPrints, we drove out to a spot in the Little San Domingo, chosen by my two professionals using the FootPrints DVD. We took GPS waypoints in several locations, simulating gold claim boundaries, test areas and gold nugget finds. We were able to take those readings and successfully add them to our custom FootPrints map, then print out a full color, high resolution map copy. We were all very impressed with the results.

After explaining the basics of the software and how to use it, I turned the Greenhorn (a 50-something business owner from the East Coast who was in town for a gold prospecting vacation) loose with it. I was surprised at how quickly he seemed to understand what he was looking at. He really got excited after finding an area that looked promising to him, and seeing it was not yet claimed.

I cannot really explain the functionality of the FootPrint DVDs fully in this short review. These DVDs can be used in many different ways, with multi-tiered combinations of information and images. We all agreed that this software is far superior to any other single research or mapping resource available to the individual gold prospector in Arizona – period. I look forward to future FootPrints of Rich Hill, and Greaterville. Check out: http://www.minerdigg...footprints.html

New claims do pop up all the time LostDutchman. No system can ever be up to date. It is always up to the prospector to do their due diligence.

The advantage to the claims layers on our maps is we plot the actual claims boundaries on the map and provide you with copies of the claims recording. This feature is available nowhere else.

We do update the claims layers. For example the Rich Hill map was updated on March 15th of this year. We also added a new information feature that provides the survey plat maps for mineral patents and upgraded the aerial photography.

When we update a claims layer the BLM and County Recorder are consulted and new claims are plotted on the map and abandoned ones are removed. The date of the update only includes the public records of claims. Those claims not yet recorded are not, and can not be, included.

When you buy a FootPrint map it is only as current as the date the DVD was made. Registering your FootPrint is not required but registration entitles you to all new upgrades and updates. These are always free to registered users. On the Little San Domingo FootPrint for example there have been two claims updates and the addition of some very high resolution geology in the two years it has been available.

If you ever wondered why the gold starts to run out above the dam on Little San Domingo you will be pleased to discover that the tertiary gravels channel does continue on but not in the Little San Domingo wash. Knowing about the dike swarm above there can help you understand why it departs the wash. There is a lot to learn from that new geology layer.

If you are interested to know where those tertiary gravel drop their gold the flood simulations will tell you where the water slows down or turns in the really big floods that actually move gold. Bet you didn't know that Little San Domingo and Iona wash join together in the big floods?

There is a lot more to the maps than just claims. The ownership layers combined with the claims layers will show you relationships that have not been seen before on this level. We are regularly informed that places like Rich Hill are "all claimed up". Within a month of our Rich Hill FootPrint release we know of at least 11 claims that were made on or adjacent to the hill. Our recent claims update this March revealed more than 2 square miles on upper Antelope creek opened up after being claimed since the 50's.

The claims layer is important but is only part of the puzzle of locating good gold ground that is open to prospecting. It's still up to you to get out there and dig that yellow stuff up but with a FootPrint you will know where you are and where you have been and what is over that next hill.

Clay,

My question is more along the lines as to whether the software is updated yearly or what. Don't get me wrong, I think the software is great even tho I have never seen it or used it. Your descriptions are enticing. I want to purchase but I do not have much money right now. I am on a limited budget and I have to balance travel/prospecting with tools and equipment. I have to save up for the software as it is now an addition to by prospecting budget and I understand it is not cheap (which is ok, as it is packed with cool features). I will have to get it one piece at a time.... so how do I find out which ones are the most up to date? Also, will anyone be selling them at the GPAA gold show this weekend? I want to buy one while I am there if I have enough money near the end of the day...

Clay,

Never mind my last post... I read your post again.... Duhhh... Anyway, my question about the gold show this weekend still stands... Do you know if anyone there will be selling this software?

That is a great question, and one I am now curious about.

Clay,

May I suggest another link on the site of dealers? I know you are effectively competing with those dealers, but this makes it a great way for folks to get it now and support local businesses. This would be a way to at least increase sales - and profit through volume.

I know Bunks and Doc sells it, and I believe Rob does. Bill likely does.

Just an idea :)

I recall my first sight of the software was at Calvin's booth at the gold show in Mesa in 2011. I spent a total of three to four hours just poking around in the software. I will definitely be getting the LSD one. My Rich Hill DVD was demolished by my daughter, but I'm there less often so LSD is of more use.

Thanks for you and your lady's HARD work on this awesome tool!

That is a great question, and one I am now curious about.

Clay,

May I suggest another link on the site of dealers? I know you are effectively competing with those dealers, but this makes it a great way for folks to get it now and support local businesses. This would be a way to at least increase sales - and profit through volume.

I know Bunks and Doc sells it, and I believe Rob does. Bill likely does.

Just an idea :)

I recall my first sight of the software was at Calvin's booth at the gold show in Mesa in 2011. I spent a total of three to four hours just poking around in the software. I will definitely be getting the LSD one. My Rich Hill DVD was demolished by my daughter, but I'm there less often so LSD is of more use.

I have several in stock..... LSD, Black Canyon, and I'll see what else.....

Clay,

We don't sell FootPrints Glenn, we just make them. Our business model favors retailers. We might make more sales if we sold them ourselves but we don't like the idea of competing with the same people who have supported our software.

We do have a page of links to our retailers on our site. Since Bill generously offers this forum to all of our benefit and he previously stated he has FootPrints on hand I don't think it would be fair to him to promote other FootPrints retailers. Once again we prefer to support FootPrints retailers rather that create competition for them.

My Rich Hill DVD was demolished by my daughter, but I'm there less often so LSD is of more use.

You are welcome Glenn. If you send me a PM with an address I'll send you a free replacement for your demolished Rich Hill DVD. Did you get the Rich Hill updates this spring?

It is said that Ruby and Clay use the "Scientific Method" for testing: " Let's see if Patrick can run it. If so, it's ready for the public "

We call you "Useful Patrick" over at the mapmobile! :tisk-tisk:

Hey you get the latest and the greatest from the MinerDiggins crew Patrick. It's an honor to be our test monkey ... right? :hide:

We've got another doozy coming your way in the next few weeks. I'm betting you can't break this one. I won't tell you what Ruby wagered. :hahaha:

We both look forward to seeing you this fall Patrick. Lot's of adventures to share. :pop:

Soooo, anyone know who might be selling the footprints software at the gold show? I am interested in the Rich Hill one first... then maybe the upper Bradshaws.

Clay,

Do you have or are you working on a Footprints for the Lower Bradshaws?

Clay,

My apologies, I thought you guys sold it direct, as well. Maybe because I never bought it myself, but saw the Buy Now link, I thought it was an online store. To be candid, I had never heard of the software before last spring and bought the disc then without ever going to the site before then. i saw the link and thought it would link to a purchase page, instead of what it really is.

My disc was demolished last year, and it's my fault for leaving it out. I appreciate the offer, but - as a business owner myself - realize that the damage was due to abuse of the product and not the manfr's fault... I'll buy another copy (along with LSD) because of that, and because the $70 price is worth twice as much to me. i also like to support companies I believe in as much as I can.

I can certainly appreciate a manf'r not competing with his retailers. Many of ours do, and it makes it difficult to sell the product. We have to simply impress upon the consumer our value to the transaction (which we focus on HARD).

Although I could easily be a test monkey... as an IT PM by day, I am smart enough to know what should happen, but not not smart enough to make it happen LOL