Nugget Shooter Forums

Worth cutting and polishing?

Was out on a bike ride last weekend and found this rock, It's still there till I can get back out with the four wheeler to pick it and some other rocks up. It looks pretty neat not sure what it is but thought about cutting and polishing it up to see how it turns out. Has anyone tried working with any rock like this..

DSCF0231_zps44b23108.jpg

Nice looking rock but don't think it's worth taking the time to cut and polish.. I'm not even sure if it will take a polish in the first place. But if you already have the equipment, go for it. Make sure you post some photos if you do. There's always something new to be learned and seen.

Steve

Well I had all the equipment till last November, But someone decided they needed it more than me..I got ripped off more than $4000 worth of rock equipment and mining equipment,And am pretty sure who it was but the local cops around here haven't done a darn thing..

That just may polish up like a dream and the common name is Pudding Stone and yes it is a conglomerate. My grandfather used to make some cool belt buckles, book holders, doorstops, etc. as well as carvings with it in Charlevoix, MI....

Cool thanks for the feedback , Hopefully I'll have my saw and polishers pretty soon, Will be making them from scratch, but just about have all the parts together.

Still gathering parts back up for my trommel-sluice that got ripped off, Have any of you heard of indian paint rock saw some on another website and some rock by the same name on Ebay I think I may have some of that also but really doesn't look like it will take a polish,Does rock have to be a certain hardness on the mos scale to polish up good? Thanks for the ID and the information I appreciate it alot..

Indian paint rock is a sedimentary rock. it is a sandstone found in Nevada and California. The interesting patterns and colors are created by trace amounts of iron and manganese being drawn into the rock by capillary action through minute cracks in the rock.