Nugget Shooter Forums

Using plants to find gold locations

birdlady

has anyone ever heard that if you find a certain type of plant they was gold near by..? also where can I get a currible dish to melt gold .. ? would a todays clay pot blow up at that degree ...?

Yeah ,

i threw out my metal detector and started searching for gold with a potted petunia. Works pretty well and smells good at the same time. just kidding a little bit. And those clay pots are designed for flowers not gold...way too thin and brittle as well as filled with impurities. Bill , bunk , or several others here can get you a crucible for your needs. I personally believe that here in arizona plants are an indicator of mineralized ground and not that good of indicator of gold. Most of the basin range is mineralized , most of the intermediate range is also... and the colorado plateau north of the mogollan rim is less mineralized but still ample planting areas for those plants... Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

Hi Birdlady..

Trumpet plants seem to like to grow in iron rich soil...Iron rich soil seems to like to be with gold. That being said, Iron rich soil doesnt always mean there is gold.

Guess you just have to get out and beep or drywash to find it.

It will take a lot of leg work and such to see what an area is producing.

As for the crucible. You will need one that will withstand 2000deg F.

You can use a small piece of graphite hollowed out to melt little bits.

Hope this helps.

Tom H.

I know that sagebrush has been collected, reduced to carbon, and then assayed for mineral content.

The sagebrush has been known to draw up Gold just like any other mineral.

The presence of sagebrush doesn't mean there is Gold there.

thanks to all those that answered. but i like to have some eggs in my basket. the more you know does help. arizona where we are doexnt carry a lot of mineing supplies. so guess its the internet time to search for curribles. thanks again..

love a sence of humor. you are right about taking the flowers.but if uou dont smell the roses.you'll never find the dirt.. have found gold.smalll amounts but, just thought i'd try melting what i got. how many woman go gold hunting..metal detecting..i haven,t seen any post..

thanks to all those that answered. but i like to have some eggs in my basket. the more you know does help. arizona where we are doexnt carry a lot of mineing supplies. so guess its the internet time to search for curribles. thanks again..

love a sence of humor. you are right about taking the flowers.but if uou dont smell the roses.you'll never find the dirt.. have found gold.smalll amounts but, just thought i'd try melting what i got. how many woman go gold hunting..metal detecting..i haven,t seen any post..

birdlady there are quite a few women that hunt gold.....go camping and most are with their husbands....after all

who else would be making the important decisions.....

It's a great hobby so hang in there and enjoy the outdoors.....and do what your doing....ask a lot of questions and

don't be shy....

The trumpet plant can be a great indacator for gold in the ground, I have used it as a starting place years ago and it works more than not also Panning out ant hills and gopher mounds can get you in to some sweet gold And turquoiuse.If you are going to smelt gold get a furnace { you can find then for around $800.00 They are great set it to 1960 and come back in a hr and wala ,Using a torch can blow the fines to kindom come and watch out for moisture in rocks They will blow to high heavan and can burn you along the way, Do not forget the eye protection and gloves as the burns at that temp are not so forgiving best of luck to you,

Yep. Don (Garimpo) meant the ladies are the ones with good decisions while camping. It could be read the other way.

A&B Prospecting carries crucibles and small kilns in stock, as do most mining and lapidary shops here in central AZ. Not sure that Bill (Nuggetshooter) has them in stock, but he can get them, I'm pretty sure.

birdlady here is an indication of what women are capable of doing.....

http://www.flixxy.co...lane-repair.htm

Crap!

Obviously a set up stunt, but man....You wouldnt find me doing something like that without a parachute.

She had some big cahoonas! errr...mammaries????? Yah, how do you adress this???

Where was that woman when I was younger? :) Nahhhh....we would be fighting each other for the tools.

Tom H.

In a field geology course I took, OK many years ago, there was a discussion about certain plants, shrubs, and trees prefering a certain type of soil or rock type. Never heard of one for gold though. You can see these growths many times when flying over the southwest. You will see a trend of green scrubs or trees only in a thick layer and won't see hardly any above or below that layer especially in the steep canyons and cuts. Sometimes they will also only be on the top layer and you won't see any below that level becuase they don't like that soil. Of course sometimes it is because of elevations but it can be due to the rock formations.

Hey i'm just curious, but is there a trompbone and french horn plant too?

Rim :hahaha:

Yes! there atually are tombone and French horn plants. There are usually 5 lb nuggets under them...you just have to find them :P

Then there are the WEEE WEEE (think of the pig) plants that are usually in close proximity to anyplace you find a nugget :)

Tom H.

I've been finding alot of platinum and brass around the tuba plants.....

• 1 month later...

Got a crucible at the flea market for 15.00 a nice one, now who uses Borax when melting gold. saw a video about it..

There are many resources on the internet for refining/assaying/smelting gold, here are just a few that may help you in your smelting.

These links also have info for chemical extraction of gold, etc., PLEASE don't try any of the processes without fully understanding them and taking the needed safety precautions!!

A forum, which you would have to join before being able to see/read any of the content or post any questions, a great forum with many knowledgeable members, the members with the highest post count would be best ones to take advice from as they have been there as members for quite a while and have been the driving force of the forum..

http://goldrefiningforum.com/

A great website of a very knowledgeable chemist that unfortunately for the rest of us is no longer with us, but this webpage is maintained by his son to continue his father's legacy of helping others with his knowledge.

http://webpages.char...bcftp/bcftp.htm

A few links to online books on refining and assaying...

http://www.gutenberg...1-h/18751-h.htm

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

http://www.scribd.co...Wastes-C-M-Hoke

As mentioned these are only a few of many resources out there, you can find others by doing a internet search with the correct wording for what you're wanting info on.

I hope these links help with the new fever ya'll have been infected with, as you probably know by now that there is no cure :snapoutofit::idunno: , only therapy!!! :reading::desertsmile::Diggin_a_hole::woot::wee:

Thanks for the links!!! I am sure there are many of us who can benefit from them.

Did you also get a kiln or already have one? 1800°+ is not possible on the stove or in the oven.

Serious statement.

Several on here work with molten gold, and there are tons of online resources for smelting