Nugget Shooter Forums

garrett 2500

I am new to detectors, I was wondering if anyone can give me any advise on how to set this up for niggets.. I put it at all metal no discrimination sencativity between 7 to 9 threshold at 0.. any hints ? is this a good setting? I know I should of went with a different one but this is our first.. Yes and a woman is running it.. tee hee..

Your settings sound about right except for the threshold.....turn it until you get just a very small hum.....

get a piece of lead (different sizes at a tire shop) and test those settings.....as you test make small

adjustments to see if you can improve the depth.....be sure to ground balance if you hear a different

sound when you get the coil close to the ground.....play with the machine and have fun....

Read your owners manual over and over....

Thanks for the information, The manual is the problem I got this one at the pawn shop no instructions. I did down load the manual. but it doesnt say much..but will try your advice thanks again..

Go to their website and look harder as they have videos and such to assist ya. Join a local yokel club and these and many other questions will be answered and who,what and how shown AND you'll meet some righteously gold crazed folks too-John

Alan aka Bearkat4160 of the findmall message board wrote this on the subject of the garrett 2500 finding gold nuggets.

Maybe this will help you get started.

Well I have found gold nuggets with my 2500 in California. Of course all metal mode should be used. This is my usual set up if I use the 9.5 stock coil. Which I recommend if the ground can handle it. I use that coil because it is more sensitive than a DD coil like the 10x5 or the new DD 11x8.5".

9.5 coil: All metal mode set on 7.5-9. Ground balance set auto-fast. Threshold set to 5.8. If the ground is noisy and you still are using the 9.5 coil...set it on manual ground balance, then ground balance machine with fast track. If still too much noise lower sensitivity to 7.

For DD coils: If you are away from town you can set sensitivity to 11-12 (max) DD's can handle it. Same threshold. Auto track on fast. For more sensitivity set it on manual grnd bal and set slightly positive. Like 2-4 clicks more.

THe DD coil's are much less sensitive than concentrics, for small nuggets below half gram, you prob wont get a signal on them with the DD's unless you are on your game listening...with headphones. Also because the 2500 has a lower freq than say the AT PRO or Scorpion which even with a DD coil it is hotter on small stuff.

The reason for setting the threshold on 5.8 or between (5.5-6.2). Because you will here very slight threshold breaks from small targets with that setting as apposed to setting it too loud you will miss smaller targets by the ground noise combined with too high of threshold noise, over powering the small signals or targets.

Now the 4.5 coil. This a fun bedrock sniper coil and it will pick up .3-.2 gram nuggies. Can pump more sensitivity too it around 9-10 or more. Wish I had this coil for my Scorpion...(can I have your's Uncle Willy?) Auto ground balance or manual and slightly positive for more sensitivity.

The 2500 in the right right hands will find nuggets, but it isnt a dedicated nugget machine, as it is a universal machine. But its all you have then go for it....the small ones will be harder to find without a higher freg, but who wants small nuggets? That is what my dredge is for...!

Soon I will try the new DD 11x8.5" for hunting nuggets. That is one nice coil and gets the depth of the 12.5 imaging coil. But in hot ground it will supass it. And it will hit a .5 gram nugget fairly well.

Hope this helps!

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what happened to her. Hope she didn't get snake bit , thrown in jail, or lost in the desert.

hmmmm.....

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe she's wandering around the melon patch looking for " niggets ". All jokes aside hope she is ok and wallowing in yellow metal

thanks everyone for the advice , not in melon patch , I think I found silver but cant figure out how to upload on here.. thanks

Alan aka Bearkat4160 of the findmall message board wrote this on the subject of the garrett 2500 finding gold nuggets.

Maybe this will help you get started.

Well I have found gold nuggets with my 2500 in California. Of course all metal mode should be used. This is my usual set up if I use the 9.5 stock coil. Which I recommend if the ground can handle it. I use that coil because it is more sensitive than a DD coil like the 10x5 or the new DD 11x8.5".

9.5 coil: All metal mode set on 7.5-9. Ground balance set auto-fast. Threshold set to 5.8. If the ground is noisy and you still are using the 9.5 coil...set it on manual ground balance, then ground balance machine with fast track. If still too much noise lower sensitivity to 7.

For DD coils: If you are away from town you can set sensitivity to 11-12 (max) DD's can handle it. Same threshold. Auto track on fast. For more sensitivity set it on manual grnd bal and set slightly positive. Like 2-4 clicks more.

THe DD coil's are much less sensitive than concentrics, for small nuggets below half gram, you prob wont get a signal on them with the DD's unless you are on your game listening...with headphones. Also because the 2500 has a lower freq than say the AT PRO or Scorpion which even with a DD coil it is hotter on small stuff.

The reason for setting the threshold on 5.8 or between (5.5-6.2). Because you will here very slight threshold breaks from small targets with that setting as apposed to setting it too loud you will miss smaller targets by the ground noise combined with too high of threshold noise, over powering the small signals or targets.

Now the 4.5 coil. This a fun bedrock sniper coil and it will pick up .3-.2 gram nuggies. Can pump more sensitivity too it around 9-10 or more. Wish I had this coil for my Scorpion...(can I have your's Uncle Willy?) Auto ground balance or manual and slightly positive for more sensitivity.

The 2500 in the right right hands will find nuggets, but it isnt a dedicated nugget machine, as it is a universal machine. But its all you have then go for it....the small ones will be harder to find without a higher freg, but who wants small nuggets? That is what my dredge is for...!

Soon I will try the new DD 11x8.5" for hunting nuggets. That is one nice coil and gets the depth of the 12.5 imaging coil. But in hot ground it will supass it. And it will hit a .5 gram nugget fairly well.

Hope this helps!

Alan

Thanks Allen it did help, I keep trying that is all i can do. my coil on end looks to be 12 in's its big.. I put a plastic food cover lid over mine, they are elastic around the edges and come with 6 sizes for a dollar.. its nice...

The machine is still loud.. will it beep or go zip zip when gold is found? I dug,and dug but nothing but a rock that didnt react to magnet at all but makes the machine really beep loud..

The lead should sound very much if not exactly like a similar sized piece of gold, it may not sound like a piece of raw gold that has never been unearthed because of the mineral halo that would have formed around the unearthed gold over time, but it would sound like the signal of the gold after it was dug up and out of the mineralised ground.

well I am going to get lead and try it.. I get a lot of sound and do alot of digging..lots of junk..out there.thanks for the answers..

birdlady Au Seeker is right on about the lead and it's sounds......you should go to a tire shop and get a lead weight from

them......then if you have a hack saw cut three or four different sized small pieces off of the lead so you can test the

different sizes.....be sure to save one piece that is big....if the lead weight has a clamp in the middle of it, cut it off the

lead because I don't know if it is lead.....ask the guys at the tire shop what it is....

On another note.....don't try to discriminate out pieces by their sound....when you get a signal it's fun to try and guess

what it is before you dig it but dig every signal!!!!!.....why leave gold for someone else.....

My son got me a piece of lead. It all sounds the same to me.. beep beep, aluminum buzz's. I did a coin nickle dime quarter they all make the same sound its weard. maybe my machine is not good. I even tried manual ground ballance but it is not changeing the sound. also changed the settings down one at a time. I thought it was me but my husband said the same thing.. all metal no discrimination, auto fast threshold 5-8 sensitivity 7 the tone doesnt change the noise, and volume down lower.. what am i doing wrong?

Probably nothing wrong....more important than recognizing sounds is to proper ground balance....get the most depth

minus the back ground noise....then pay close attention to the small sounds that could be deep targets.....and remember

to dig ALL signals.....

what is frequancy for.. and what are the settings. I tried ground balancing ,but cant hear if the sound dropsdown..any hints....threshold 5 sensitivity 7 ground ballance fast track.. I am useing a piece of lead....

Archived