Nugget Shooter Forums

Now I remember why I haven't shot my .30-30

Been probably 15 years since I shot the old gal. Dusted her off gave her a good cleaning and everything seemed in order... Went out to a little chunk of blm land and loaded it up... darn!... That thing has a kick to it!... Time for a nice cushioned butt plate. :cry2: Gonna be feeling that for more than a few days.... Can't wait to take my Daughter's scrawy boyfriend (20 years old and has never shot anything before) for a shooting lesson. :rolleyes: That will be a real eye opener...Little bit more intense that a Nintendo game....

BJ ... What rifle are you shooting? 30-30 shouldn't kick that much even in a shorter barrelled carbine. If you haven't shot a rifle for a long while the first couple times may seem harsh ... but so does a little 270 or 240 or even the tiny 223. Hold that rifle tighter to the shoulder rather than spoil a good gun's value by changing the butt stock plate with a softy. :) Want a kick? ... let me have you fire my 300 win mag or a friend of mines 330 ... that sucker has a kick to it and weighs a ton! :) :)

Locked and Loaded

Mike F

I would take the 375 any day over my 30-30. Killed animals with both and I love the 375 for big game in brushy areas. The 375 has a nice butt pad so as long as you have a good grip and a good place to stand it is pretty nice to shoot. My 30-30 is an old lever action with a metal butt plate. Only thing that would make it better is more padding on me or the gun.

01004.jpgSame question I ask the better half. Told her "next time she should fly her ass down to the store herself." That went over like a lead ballon.

Hey Mac that almost looks like where gold settles in a stream.... :hahaha:

Rim

Haderly ... If you really can't take shooting that 30-30 for the right price I would take it off your hands.

PM me with info on condition, make and model and what you would like to have for it if you are interested in getting rid of it.

Mike F

I Have one of those sweet .30-30 lever action Model 1894 Winchester's...Metal butt plate shoulder dislocators (serial # check says made in 1965) It was my Grandfather's Handed down to me...from my Dad... That gun has killed dozens of big ol' Michigan Whitetails in her 47 years (6 myself)...I "inherited" it when I was 14...I'd sell my wife before I sold that gun.

You need to shoot my Thompson Contender 375 JDJ a 444 marlin case necked down to 375.

15 inch pistol magna ported and muzzle break, kills on both ends.

Owned it since 1992 and has 11 or 12 rounds thru it. No one wants to shoot it after I do.

Just in case I get a chance to go really big game hunting with a pistol.

I have to say the Contender is the funnest weapon I have to shoot and a bunch of calibers to choose from.

That would be fun... I love that stuff too. My Dad has a Remington 700 in .30-06 with the most beautiful wood stock you have ever seen with a sweet a$$ scope (don't know what kind... no markings)... Love that thing... Just talked to him today (he's in Michigan) since you all had me thinking about it...He's sticking to the fact that I will only get it after his funeral... prick...(gotta love him and his stubborn ass) He'll probably out live me so...No joy.

Haderly ... If you really can't take shooting that 30-30 for the right price I would take it off your hands.

PM me with info on condition, make and model and what you would like to have for it if you are interested in getting rid of it.

Mike F

Mike I only buy guns. Once they are in my hands they never go anywhere…except for a tec9 I really did not care for. It also was dug out of my parent house after Mt. St. Helens blew and I refinished it. It is not worth a lot since it is far from pristine now but it does not eat or complain so it is not going anywhere. Luckily it was only one of two guns that got left behind when we evacuated. I did lose a cylinder from an old S&W revolver that I have not been able to replace.

Haderly ... I'm afraid I am infected with the same disease! My collection seems always to increase ... decreased numbers are only results of early gifts to those who will ultimately benefit from them ... my two sons.

Do what you have to in order to make that 30-30 easier to shoot ... butt plate pad and a litttle added weight to the gun will soften the report.

Mike

One easy way to reduce recoil is to use a light bullet.I think you can go as low a 86 grains in the .30 30.In fact I'll trade velocity for mass most times.My favorite factory round at the moment is the Fusion .300 WSM @ 150 grains. Shoots flat and hits hard.