Nugget Shooter Forums

Worth a look....

The National Museum of Civil War Medicine has a posting on their website where they praise a Detectorist for making finds and donating them. They portray this person as out of the norm stating “unlike many” that are looters doing it for profit.

http://www.civilwarm...ptember_only/30

Voice your comments directly to the Executive Director, George Wunderlich director@civilwarmed.org

One of our members, Scott Clark, copied the Task Force on his well-written letter (below).

Dear Civil War Medicine Museum directors and writers,

I wish to draw your attention to the recent announcement for Mr. George Rees' (fantastic) travelling exhibit of civil war artifacts in which the following quote appeared:

"....Unlike many relic hunters, Mr. Rees’s goal was study and preservation, rather than looting or profit. Each find was carefully numbered, recorded, and researched. He considers himself a steward rather than owner of the recovered artifacts and feels it is important they can be shared with the public.... "

The assertion, as I read it, was was to portray Mr Rees as an outlier in a crowd of thieves and profiteers. Surely Mr. Rees is a model-citizen we should learn from, but the rest of us are hardly cha-chinging our latest finds onto Ebay for the highest bidder.

You'd be more accurate to say "like most relic hunters, Mr. Rees's goal is study and preservation, not looting or profit. "

Anecdotally, I have had the pleasure of knowing dozens of relic hunters in person, and hundreds more via online connections. I can say with confidence that most (perhaps all) are like Mr Rees than the lone nighthawk or reality-show relic clowns. Many surely do not meet Mr. Rees standards for documentation (something that the detecting community should definitely improve) but most have well-organized collections they proudly share. I know of them visiting schools and donating hundreds of items (often whole collections) to cash-strapped local museums. These relics, mostly found on private property, would be destroyed with time by farm equipment, development or simple erosion and rust. But they have been rescued, passed around a classroom of fascinated kids, their stories sinking far more deeply into the young minds than a blurry picture in a textbook. Sadly, these things never make the headlines.

Sincerely,

Scott Clark

YES!!!! Good PR is way overdue after them insane rob,rape,pillage detector shows. This reminds me of my great ol bud ,a Fisher rep for over 20+ years Irwin Lee-RIP. He spent quite a bit of cash to participate in the Custers Last stand site on a sanctioned dig and a tv show was made at least 20+ years ago. Good pr is soooooo important now,has always been,but attacks are much more deadly now---thanx for the positive post-John

Treasure Trove of Gold Found in Dead Man's Home

Nevada man dies with $200 in bank, $7M in gold hidden inside homepost-300-0-75054100-1347926380_thumb.jpg

A Carson City, Nev., recluse whose body was found in his home at least a month after he died left only $200 in his bank account.

But as Walter Samaszko Jr.'s house was being cleared for sale, officials made a surprise discovery: gold bars and coins valued at $7 million.

"Nobody had any clue he was hoarding the gold," Carson City Clerk-Recorder Alan Glover told the Las Vegas Sun, adding it was found stored in boxes in the house and garage.

The 69-year-old Samaszko was found dead in his home in late June after neighbors called authorities. He had been dead of heart problems for at least a month, according to the coroner.

He had lived in the house since the 1960s, and his mother lived with him until her death in 1992.

He left no will and had no apparent close relatives. But using a list of those who attended the mother's funeral, Glover's office tracked down Arlene Magdanz, a first cousin in San Rafael, Calif., the Sun reported.

A recording said her phone number had been disconnected.

"Our goal is to get the most money for the heir," Glover said.

The gold coins had been minted as early as the 1840s in such countries as Mexico, England, Austria and South Africa, he said.

Based on just the weight of the gold alone, Glover estimates their worth at $7 million. Because some of the coins appear to be collector's items, the value could go much higher, he said.

Neighbors told authorities they knew little about Samaszko other than he was quiet and not a problem.

Samaszko was "anti-government," Carson City's Nevada Appeal reported, and a few conspiracy theory books were found in the home along with several guns.

"He never went to a doctor," Glover told the newspaper. "He was obsessed with getting diseases from shots."

Samaszko also had stock accounts of more than $165,000 and another $12,000 in cash at the house.

Glover said he wants to start selling off the gold as soon as possible. The IRS wants a share of the total, he said, and the case is relatively simple other than the agency's involvement.

"At least you don't have 12 relatives fighting," Glover told the Appeal

Sounds almost like I would expect from some of the other prospectors/miners I know.

Sad to hear all that is just going to be sold off and likely just to melt down (coins). And, of course, Uncle Sam wants his cut.

I just read that article a few minutes ago in a email. DEAD FOR A MONTH BEFORE FOUND. PU stinky golg-just let me clean off the smell please as I promise to return it all nice and fresh :ROFL: run Forrest run-John :rolleyes:

Scott Clark... Well Said... Thanks!

Archived