Nugget Shooter Forums

Spotlights???

How do the LED spotlights compare to the conventional spotlights? 100-150 yards?

How long is a fully charged LED spotlight good for?

My conventional is a 1 mil candlelight. When new it was good out to 50-60 yards. And would only shine for about 30 minutes.

I need something better and would like it to be good for at least an hour.

What are your recommendations and ballpark price?

I think I seen a coyote the other night but couldn't make it out because light to dim. I would say his eyes were between white and pale green. Would hate to shoot a dog.

Tks!

Rim

The deal w/ LED lighting-

Many of the cheaper models will use the large format (old tech) diodes to try and make light. and you're better using those to work on your car. But they will shine for quite a while

I have a 3D cell Maglite LED (standard, off the shelf) that allows me to see colors in pitch black farther than I can focus. I am talking a few hundred yards, at least. Frank has seen it work, and can attest to that, at the Dutchman's Rendezvous.

I just put the second set of batteries in because the others were starting to swell and get ready to leak.

http://www.maglite.com/D_Cell_LED.asp

Most import to ne about my maglite purchases... Made in the USA by US workers!

We have LED lighting on the race car. I know that's not the same, but for comparison's sake, the amp draw is nothing related to conventional or HID setups. The light output from them is nothing short of Holy Crap!

Moral... Don't buy the cheapest you can get, make sure the LEDs are not the old tech, and you won't shoot a dog.

LIFeGear makes some awesome flashlights. COstco was selling a two pack of these for around $80 when I bought mine a year ago. Low/high beam and a strobe function- 360 lumens- runs on C batt's.

Bright and focused- will easily spotlight anything several hundred feet away.

I have to agree with Don (garimpo) ... go with the 511 units from LA Police Gear when it comes to lighting up the darkness. Just remember that usually you get what you pay for. Good lighting in a long lasting battery package is not cheap.

Mike F

Sorry fellows but those don't have enough lumens for me. I think i'm just going to get an old style 2900 lumen spotlight. The kind that plugs into a cigarette lighter. And I want a cigarette lighter adapter for a wall plug if they make them. I looked at a Browning High Noon led and just laughed when they said like 555 lumens and some ungodley distance it would reach out too. But the 2.5 hour run time was nice. I found a cig lighter 3 mil cl for 29 bucks. That's all I need if I can find the adapter.

But thanks anyway. I should have said spot/flood I guess.

Rim

Don are you saying 504 lumens now days is as powerful as the old 2900 lumens spot lights? I don't get it. Plus that light has a much smaller beam then say a light with a 6 or 7 inch lense. I want a beam large enough that if the coyote bolts I don't don't have to be fiddling with the postion of the light as I will have the light mounted to a tripod. I want both hands on my gun. And if I have to I can place another shot if he don't drop on the 1st one.

Rim

500 LED spotlight. homemade and-it looks like a friggin searchlight

I always thought you could take many of the 200 lumen flashlights, rig them in strings of three( splitting power down from a small 12vmotorcycle battery). - they all seem to run on(3)1.5volt triple A's,

Then, run parallel strings of three. For 5 bucks each, you could have a very bright floodlight.. YOu're just limited to what size battery you want to drag around. Probably 14.4 volt MIlwaukie or Makita LiIon batts would be a good choice if you could power it from an inverter hooked to a car battery. On second thought scratch that idea- the first light in the series has to take 3 x the current it's designed for even though the voltage is in the ballpark. It would probably fry.

Rim the LED's are much brighter than the old stuff and the batts. last a long time and their rechargeable....the one I

mentioned above will completely recharge in 90 seconds on the 12 v charger....

I have two friends in Okla. that have been hunting coyotes for 30 years.....they rig their lights to the bottom of their

rifle barrel connected to a mercy switch.....then they sit with the rifle upside down and when it's time to light up the

wiley coyote all they have to do is flip the rifle right side up and the light comes on and they blast away....

I have a weapon light mounted on the side of my AR that will light up your world really well out to 50 yards or so. It is a cheaper model ($80 or so) but you can get them so powerful they will hurt you if you are in front of them. And I have a slick mount that is removable and puts the light low and close to the receiver. It is a snap to control the light with your thumb while aiming and on target.

They have them with lasers too. My son has a really good setup that cost about $450. It has an LED "torch" light and a laser adjustable for elevation and windage. When you look through the scope the laser co-wittnesses with the crosshairs nicely. The switch is on the back of the light and the light is mounted on the gas block so it is right there at the tip of your thumb. If you are in front of the rifle when he turns that light on you are instantly blinded and it will make you recoil it is so bright. Animals just freeze up. It is like the light from an alien mothership that shines down right before they beam you up. All in a little light the size of your thumb with three tiny batteries.

You can get them all in a 1" diameter design and mounts to attach to any gun that can be scope mounted. They also have a "figure eight" ring that will allow you to mount a light directly on your riflescope. And they have remote switches that you can mount on the grip if you cant mount it where you can touch the switch with your thumb.

Either way it is plenty of light for coyotes in any calling situation. We dont use any other light and have no problems identifying a target way past 50 yards. They just have three little AAA batteries in them and they last for quite a while. I have only replaced my batteries a couple of times in two years now. I only use the light to shoot by and not for a flashlight so I am not sure how many minutes it has on it, but at least a couple of hours run time on a set of batteries.

...Best darn shooting light I have ever had. And it is really neat for a defense weapon as well as a coyote gun.

That 1,000,000 candle power light and one rated in lumens cannot be directly compared. This is for a few reasons that would be too difficult to type out on my phone.

Candlepower is the amount if light produced at the source, lumens is the amount of light radiated, and foot candle is the amount of light at one foot. Add to that Lumens is a metric and the others are standard. Not often have I seen handheld spots rating themselves in footcandles.

Even still, a lamp rated in CP or FC is likely, it seems from poking around the Internet, using an H4 or equivalent bulb. While all the LED units I've seen are rating in Lumens.

More often these days I keep seeing these little packages doing wondrous things with little volt/amp needs and exceptional reflector and lens designs.

I know this... Our race car used to outrun (in the desert) the HID lighting package we had on it, but with less package and much less electrical drain, we have plenty of room to nail it in the dark with our LED package. Both from the same company. :)

Our race car used to outrun (in the desert) the HID lighting package we had on it, but with less package and much less electrical drain, we have plenty of room to nail it in the dark with our LED package. Both from the same company. :)

just saw a few things over on a site called Snake Racing. It looks like Rigid Industries(not the plumbing company or home cheepo brand) has quite a product line of different 12v LED arrays. THE small 4 or 6 lamp Dually would work quite well, I think. I also think they will be 40% cheaper next year.