Nugget Shooter Forums

Rocks From Space

AzNuggetBob

Hello Bill

I got to thinking about your welcoming post to me the other day, Thanks I really appreciate that.... But I also started thinking about how many Gold nugget hunters there are out there that are tossing meteorites thinking they are just hot rocks.I'll never forget when I got my first meteorite book. I got it at the Quartzsite Az. rock show back in the 90's, it is called Rocks From Space. Great Book. after reading it I saw weird rocks that I had tossed in the past not knowing, thinking they were just another hot rock, man was I surprised. AzNuggetBob

You are right Bob and I was throwing Gold Basin Chondrites into bushes, or setting them on the edge of my filled holes for quite a spell until John B. did a talk about them and I realized I had been throwing away meteorites. :tisk-tisk:

And the worst part was I have always preached to others not to throw away any rock or mineral until you are sure what it is because it could be valuable to you or science. Guess I should listen to my own advise more often eh? :arrowheadsmiley:

On another note we need to get together for a hunt one of these days! You going to make the the Quartzsite shindig in late October?

I now know better....

Hello Bill

I got to thinking about your welcoming post to me the other day, Thanks I really appreciate that.... But I also started thinking about how many Gold nugget hunters there are out there that are tossing meteorites thinking they are just hot rocks.I'll never forget when I got my first meteorite book. I got it at the Quartzsite Az. rock show back in the 90's, it is called Rocks From Space. Great Book. after reading it I saw weird rocks that I had tossed in the past not knowing, thinking they were just another hot rock, man was I surprised. AzNuggetBob

Bob, it is a good book. Another book by Norton is the Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites.

Jim

Hi Bob. Welcome to the forum and nice to see you here.. Looking back, I probably threw a large meteorite away a few years ago. Was on my way to the Winnemmuccca area and stopped somewhere between Tonopah and Hawthorne since I was really tired. Found a side road,went down aways and slept in the truck. That morning , I got the detector out, was walking around and got a large hit on a strange looking rock. Since I was only familiar with thumbprinted iron meteorites, it never occcured to me it could have been another type. Only after I joined this forum did I realize what it could have been.

Steve